Derm board-study recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermsquad007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post any practical recommendations to prepare for the board.
I was thinking about reading the Jain but I am sure this is not enough....
Any suggestion for the kodachrome section?
Also, would love your opinion regarding the available question banks....
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!!!

I'm going to channel my old PD here.

Your residency should have prepared you for the boards. Now is not the time to read new books. Now is the time to consolidate the knowledge you've accumulated. I think you would be better off going back through your already completed texts during residency and gleaning as much high yield info as possible (presumably as a 3rd year, you should be able to filter out what is high yield and what isn't)

The kodachrome section is becoming an increasingly large part of now only the original certifying boards but also the re-certification exam. I would go through any clinical atlas to make sure you are good at interpreting classic images (and perhaps some not-so-classic images as well). I believe the AAD has a set of kodachromes that it provides to residency training programs. You may or may not find some of the exact same images on your actual boards.

I personally wouldn't pay for any question banks (of course, I haven't tried any either so I can't provide first hand experience). The free bank from Galderma (if they still provide it) is good to identify which areas may need more brushing up but it didn't particularly wow me either. The reports from colleagues who did use paid question banks is that nothing really comes close to mirroring the questions you'll see on the actual exam unfortunately.

Jain is not enough. I personally rely on the didactics of my program which are very good. Going through kodachromes or Bolognia notes from your program will probably be helpful. A lot of my path learning is actually done on dermpath social network groups (example: www.facebook.com/groups/dermMD). However, this is more helpful if done consistently throughout residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jain is not enough. I personally rely on the didactics of my program which are very good. Going through kodachromes or Bolognia notes from your program will probably be helpful. A lot of my path learning is actually done on dermpath social network groups (example: www.facebook.com/groups/dermMD). However, this is more helpful if done consistently throughout residency.

Do you by any chance have the errata for Jain or do you happen to know where it can be found?

Thanks!!!

Do you by any chance have the errata for Jain or do you happen to know where it can be found?