Derm Program by Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLeven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I tried doing some searches and i am sure that what i am asking for is the holy grail, but I am trying to find a list of derm programs by the step 1 score of their residents, is there any such list available?

I know that derm by nature is super competitive and so are the top programs, but what about a program like New Mexico, or Colorado? For example are the Harvard dermies 260 step 1's with 8 pubs, and teh New Mexico dermies are 230 step 1 with 2 pubs?

Are there any resources out there that show a breakdown of the step 1 score of the residents at each program?

Thanks for all the help.

LOL on "...what about a program like...Colorado?"

This is the program that used to state on their website something along the lines of, "Don't apply unless you are AOA AND have at least a 250."

Lawlz....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I tried doing some searches and i am sure that what i am asking for is the holy grail, but I am trying to find a list of derm programs by the step 1 score of their residents, is there any such list available?

I know that derm by nature is super competitive and so are the top programs, but what about a program like New Mexico, or Colorado? For example are the Harvard dermies 260 step 1's with 8 pubs, and teh New Mexico dermies are 230 step 1 with 2 pubs?

Are there any resources out there that show a breakdown of the step 1 score of the residents at each program?

Thanks for all the help.
no, such data doesn't exist.

no, such data doesn't exist.

Exactly. Furthermore, Harvard prides themselves on not just going off numbers and taking the whole applicant into consideration. If anything, the PhDs (who tend to have lower step 1 scores on average) have a better shot at the higher ranked research institutions.

Schools that have "set criteria" really never have "set criteria" because it's about the right applicant at the right time with the right fit.

UAB: 244
Mayo Scottsdale: 252
Univ of Arizona: 250
University of Arkansas: 249
Kaiser Permanente: 244
Stanford: 257
UC Davis: 253
UC Irvine: 256
UCSD: 255
UCLA: 255
UCSF: 257
USC: 252
University of Colorado: 250
UConn: 248
Yale: 247
Georgetown/WHC: 244
Howard: 243
Mayo- Jacksonville: 253
Miami: 261
South Florida: 255
University of Florida: 252
Emory University: 251
Georgia: 250
John Stroger CCH: 235
Loyola University: 244
Northwestern: 255
Rush: 246
Southern Illinois: 253
University of Chicago: 255
University of Illinois at Chicago: 233
Indiana University: 251
University of Iowa: 252
KU: 252
Louisville: 255
LSU: 238
Tulane: 245
Johns Hopkins: 253
Maryland: 255
Boston University: 249
Tufts: 236
Harvard: 257
UMass: 248
Henry Ford: 255
Univ of Michigan: 259
Wayne State: 233
Mayo Rochester: 258
Univ of Minnesota: 248
SLU: 244
Washington University in St. Louis: 250
University of Missouri: 247
Dartmouth: 247
UMDNJ - Newark: 235
UMDNJ - Camden: 234
UNM: 233
Albert Einstein: 244
Columbia: 255
Cornell: 255
Mt. Sinai: 257
NYU: 257
SUNY - Buffalo: 233
SUNY - Downstate: 244
SUNY - Stony Brook: 250
University of Rochester: 251
Duke: 251
ECU: 253
UNC: 254
Wake Forest: 257
Case Western (Univ Hospitals): 250
Cleveland Clinic: 247
THE Ohio State University: 244
University of Cincinnati: 245
Wright State University: 243
University of Oklahoma: 247
OHSU: 255
Drexel: 254
Geisinger: 252
Jefferson: 256
Penn State: 255
Pennsylvania: 255
Pittsburgh: 247
Brown: 248
MUSC-Charleston: 252
Tennessee: 242
Vanderbilt: 245
Baylor: 250
Scott and White/Texas A&M: 256
Texas Tech: 247
UT Medical Branch at Galveston: 243
UTSW: 259
UT San Antonio: 244
UT Southwestern Austin: 245
University of Utah: 250
UVA: 251
Virginia Commonwealth: 255
EVMS: 253
Marshfield Clinic: 249
MCW: 247
Univ of Wisconsin: 251
University of Washington: 247

@sore eye.. how recent is this list? I'm surprised that such list exist.. maybe something to do with you on the committee? :)

It looks like he copied and pastes the interview invite list (alphabetical by state) and just added random numbers. At least that's my guess because I highly doubt such a list exists or is accurate.

It looks like he copied and pastes the interview invite list (alphabetical by state) and just added random numbers. At least that's my guess because I highly doubt such a list exists or is accurate.

Agreed. No citation or explanation for the list - likely to be a fake.

haha, you guys are soooo serioussss.

the list is real. i saw it when i looked into my sacred hat, like joseph smith. if you disbelieve this list then you must also disbelieve mormonism. are you ready to disbelieve mormonism?

Think carefully about your answer. Mitt Romney will have you killed if you dissent. He has the means.

Reactions: 3 users
the list is real. i saw it when i looked into my sacred hat, like joseph smith. if you disbelieve this list then you must also disbelieve mormonism. are you ready to disbelieve mormonism?

Think carefully about your answer. Mitt Romney will have you killed if you dissent. He has the means.

Ah, Mormons:

khan.jpeg

this thread headed into the wrong, but funnier direction.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the help.

I think at this point, worry about step I score by medical school.
A. should be more salient to you
B. data more readily available.

Once we're in 'the club' I don't think we really like to think about ranking ourselves so much.

But again, if you must know refer to the list above. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Just to confirm, this list is not accurate at all, correct?

I'm assuming this information is near impossible to find, or are there any resources for figuring it out?

I can't believe this thread has been going on for this long.

Yes, it's a joke.

No, there are no resources for figuring this out.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Average Step 1 score was reportedly >250 for matched residents this year. Bottom line: do well on Step 1 or face an uphill climb.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to confirm, this list is not accurate at all, correct?

I'm assuming this information is near impossible to find, or are there any resources for figuring it out?
Not only is it real, but we all look at it each year in determining who we will take. Reversion to the mean is as sacred as cryotherapy in dermatology. If we go too a high a few years in a row, we will purposely take a few folks with lower step 1 scores so that we may always adhere to the most revered and praised list.

Our program keeps "the list" within a safe within a safe, akin to the Holy of Holies in the ancient Hebrew temple.

Not only is it real, but we all look at it each year in determining who we will take. Reversion to the mean is as sacred as cryotherapy in dermatology. If we go too a high a few years in a row, we will purposely take a few folks with lower step 1 scores so that we may always adhere to the most revered and praised list.

Our program keeps "the list" within a safe within a safe, akin to the Holy of Holies in the ancient Hebrew temple.

I'm the reason my program had to spend a couple years taking a slew of 230s.

Thanks guys! It's unfortunate there isn't an MSAR for residency programs. I mean how hard would it be to report applications, interviews, and mean step 1 scores?

Glad to see the Derm forum does in fact have a great sense of humor!
What you have to remember is that most residency programs are stretched quite thin to meet ACGME requirements (red tape). Secretaries and support staff dedicated to these things have non-stop paperwork. To compile a list as you propose serves little purpose from the program's perspective and in the end, really doesn't matter to the applicant as the criteria for successful applicants is quite fluid and arbitrary.

I agree with you that it would be nice but unfortunately, it ain't happening anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 user