Dermatology Journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotwasabi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I just posted a similar thread in Plastic Surgery; however, I was looking for some specific advice regarding Dermatology Journals. I have a few articles already written regarding different medical conditions that are related to dermatology. I have already sent one article to the International Journal of Dermatology.

What journals are considered the top of the line within this field of medicine, similar to how Science and Nature dominate basic research?

Also, which ones from experience are reasonably easy to get published (in terms of time between acceptance and submission, and difficulty of reviewer comments)?

Finally, for dermatology are open access journals respected?

Thanks again for everyone's help! :)

For basic science, Journal of Investigative Dermatology (JID).
For everything else, JAAD and JAMA Derm (formerly Archives of Derm).
There are many other journals, but those are the big ones that residency programs typically use for journal club/teaching.

@dermi1985. thanks for your response. So would JAAD and JAMA Derm be suitable for review articles?

Also, for publishing in the top journals for dermatology would having co-authors of medical students be okay. Or would it be beneficial to have a PI/Professor Mentor as the corresponding author? Could they essentially use their influence to increase the chances of acceptance of the paper at some of these top journals? I feel like publishing at these kind of journals depends a lot on connections and garnered respect within the field.

Also, for potential residency application would derm papers based on basic science/experimental or review papers carry more weight? Also, how are 1st vs. 2nd author papers viewed in terms of prestige/respect?

Members don't see this ad :)
@dermi1985. thanks for your response. So would JAAD and JAMA Derm be suitable for review articles?

Also, for publishing in the top journals for dermatology would having co-authors of medical students be okay. Or would it be beneficial to have a PI/Professor Mentor as the corresponding author? Could they essentially use their influence to increase the chances of acceptance of the paper at some of these top journals? I feel like publishing at these kind of journals depends a lot on connections and garnered respect within the field.

Also, for potential residency application would derm papers based on basic science/experimental or review papers carry more weight? Also, how are 1st vs. 2nd author papers viewed in terms of prestige/respect?
When I started doing research with a derm mentor, it was always he who decided which journal to submit to with review articles where many times they are asked. He would be the last author.

JAAD takes reviews while JAMA derm takes very specific meta-anlyses.

In terms of publishing, you'll need a PI. Why? Because you are unlikely to write something that is going to be high-impact enough for these journals without some sort of faculty guidance. Also, JAAD has anonymous reviews, so the name of the PI is somewhat irrelevant, and again, the bigger issue is having guidance. JAAD will also not allow med students to be the corresponding author (NB: this may have changed because JAAD changes their submission requirements frequently).

Original research>review>case report

Also, other than the PLoS family, I don't think there are any respected open access journals in any specialty (well, some of the BMC ones are good). Derm has tons of throw-away journals, so there is no need to consider submitting to an open access journal.

Reactions: 1 user
@PatsyStone. thanks for your info. I found it really informative. I will look more into JAAD and JAMA derm. Would potential residency directors respect publications in open-access journals such as International Journal of Dermatology? Or would they prefer potential residents to publish first author papers in JAAD, JAMA derm, and JID?

Also, how would I go about getting a derm mentor in medical school? Would I have to do basic lab research, or could I keep it simply at clinical research? I was thinking about publishing these articles before med school started. I really don't want to email PI/mentors before med school and create an impression (bad/positive) before I really need to contact them during MS1/MS2 for research, mentoring, or clerkships.

@PatsyStone. thanks for your info. I found it really informative. I will look more into JAAD and JAMA derm. Would potential residency directors respect publications in open-access journals such as International Journal of Dermatology? Or would they prefer potential residents to publish first author papers in JAAD, JAMA derm, and JID?

Also, how would I go about getting a derm mentor in medical school? Would I have to do basic lab research, or could I keep it simply at clinical research? I was thinking about publishing these articles before med school started. I really don't want to email PI/mentors before med school and create an impression (bad/positive) before I really need to contact them during MS1/MS2 for research, mentoring, or clerkships.

Who did you write these articles with in the first place?

not all research you will do is JAAD or JAMA Derm worthy. At the end of the day, if what you wrote is published, that counts for something. Of course, high impact is preferred, but I think you just need to take what you can get.

okay. thanks @FIREitUP and @Slack3r. The three papers are derm-related, but not exclusively derm-focused. Hence, I just wanted to gain a beginning understanding of what I can do to be more successful in high impact publications in the future.

okay. thanks @FIREitUP and @Slack3r. The three papers are derm-related, but not exclusively derm-focused. Hence, I just wanted to gain a beginning understanding of what I can do to be more successful in high impact publications in the future.

take it from someone who learned the hard way--many times whether a project will get accepted to one of those journals is out of your hands and is based largely on the novelty of the research and what reviewers you get. Just do the best you possibly can and try to get a good letter of recommendation from the mentor that you're doing the work with.

take it from someone who learned the hard way--many times whether a project will get accepted to one of those journals is out of your hands and is based largely on the novelty of the research and what reviewers you get. Just do the best you possibly can and try to get a good letter of recommendation from the mentor that you're doing the work with.
What about melanoma journals? PCMR, MelanomaResearch?

not all research you will do is JAAD or JAMA Derm worthy. At the end of the day, if what you wrote is published, that counts for something. Of course, high impact is preferred, but I think you just need to take what you can get.

Also keep in mind that Derm conditions are also often of interest to the general medical community (internists, pediatricians or family med) and you can publish in journals outside of dermatology. I've personally submitted a pub that was rejected at JAMA Derm outright but eventually was accepted at a much higher tier and higher impact factor general medicine journal. I think there are certain types of research (often public health or cost effectiveness) that the dernatology community just doesn't "get" yet.

Also keep in mind that Derm conditions are also often of interest to the general medical community (internists, pediatricians or family med) and you can publish in journals outside of dermatology. I've personally submitted a pub that was rejected at JAMA Derm outright but eventually was accepted at a much higher tier and higher impact factor general medicine journal. I think there are certain types of research (often public health or cost effectiveness) that the dernatology community just doesn't "get" yet.

Good point!

How does the derm community view the journal Cutis?

How does the derm community view the journal Cutis?

It has a large readership, but academics wise I don't think it's very well respected. However, it's still a pub so you should be happy if you published in Cutis!

Correct me I am wrong, but is JID one of the "high impact" journals in dermatology that has an associated publication fee with it...? To my understanding, JAAD and JAMA Derm both do not have publication fees.

Correct me I am wrong, but is JID one of the "high impact" journals in dermatology that has an associated publication fee with it...? To my understanding, JAAD and JAMA Derm both do not have publication fees.

Not sure about the publication fees but when I was in training, JID was considered the highest impact journal in dermatology.