dermatology residency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

house_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I have just graduated and I wanted to know my chances in dermatology residency in America for an international medical graduate? Please? Some details?

Members don't see this ad.

Given those details I'd put your chances at 54.8%

Members don't see this ad :)
Given those details I'd put your chances at 54.8%

Where did you get that number? You missed to take some of the other unknown factors into account. I re-evaluated his/her chances and came up with 49.2%.

OP, go for it, just make sure to mention at least some of your qualifications in your application.

Where did you get that number? You missed to take some of the other unknown factors into account. I re-evaluated his/her chances and came up with 49.2%.

OP, go for it, just make sure to mention at least some of your qualifications in your application.
I think 88% is more accurate.

F that. Forget details. Just wing it

I already posted a thread asking about my chances as an international medical graduate to match in derma in USA.. comments were not that encouraging as most of them told me my chances are near to zero or I have devote couple of years in research and still may not match.. my questions is ..is it right that if I take an internal medicine residency or family medicine and then apply for dermatology that my chances will be high? Anyone have a clue?

I already posted a thread asking about my chances as an international medical graduate to match in derma in USA.. comments were not that encouraging as most of them told me my chances are near to zero or I have devote couple of years in research and still may not match.. my questions is ..is it right that if I take an internal medicine residency or family medicine and then apply for dermatology that my chances will be high? Anyone have a clue?

No need to create a new thread for your question. Your chances won't be great either way. Unfortunately that's just the way it is with IMGs.

You would stand a better chance applying for derm initially rather than trying for another residency first. The pathway likely includes multiple years of research with no guarantees you'll match.

I recommend finding a program that has a history of either accepting or matching its research fellows (particularly IMGs) and moving forward from there. Good luck

marry faculty

Reactions: 4 users
It's not impossible, but it's not easy. You'll need to be realistic: you will need to match and complete an intern year, and then start at least one derm research fellowship. Looking back, I can remember meeting two FMGs who were current derm residents at two of the programs I interviewed at last year.

It's not impossible, but it's not easy. You'll need to be realistic: you will need to match and complete an intern year, and then start at least one derm research fellowship. Looking back, I can remember meeting two FMGs who were current derm residents at two of the programs I interviewed at last year.
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
marry faculty
Actually, not a terrible idea. May pigeon hole you to one place, the guy/gal may be a drag and your dinner conversations will range from JAAD to JAMA Derm but for a spot, may be worth it.

But to your question, it's possible but a long road as a foreign medical grad. This assumes you were highly ranked at home, made great step scores and can manage not to be awkward, weird or a total a$$ hat for an interview. You'll need to do a good bit of research (several years) to even be considered assuming you meet the above criteria. Would recommend finding a research fellowship at a place with a friendly Derm program. Godspeed, my friend

Actually, not a terrible idea. May pigeon hole you to one place, the guy/gal may be a drag and your dinner conversations will range from JAAD to JAMA Derm but for a spot, may be worth it.

But to your question, it's possible but a long road as a foreign medical grad. This assumes you were highly ranked at home, made great step scores and can manage not to be awkward, weird or a total a$$ hat for an interview. You'll need to do a good bit of research (several years) to even be considered assuming you meet the above criteria. Would recommend finding a research fellowship at a place with a friendly Derm program. Godspeed, my friend
thank you , but when we're talking about years? Like how many? One or two? Three or more?

thank you , but when we're talking about years? Like how many? One or two? Three or more?

Unfortunately no one will be able to answer that for you. I've met IMGs who matched after one year, I've met IMGs who matched after a decade

It's about being with the right program at the right time. There's no doubt it's a gamble and if you can see yourself in any other field, I'd probably go for that instead. Only you can answer the question of whether or not it's worth the gamble.

Unfortunately no one will be able to answer that for you. I've met IMGs who matched after one year, I've met IMGs who matched after a decade

It's about being with the right program at the right time. There's no doubt it's a gamble and if you can see yourself in any other field, I'd probably go for that instead. Only you can answer the question of whether or not it's worth the gamble.
can you please list the specialities that an IMG can match in other than family medicine and IM?

can you please list the specialities that an IMG can match in other than family medicine and IM?
Not the best resource as stated above but psych, neurology and Peds in addition to im and fam med are where I've seen the most fmgs

If you're going to do IM -> derm...that's a really long time. You can do IM -> rheum or allergy a lot easier and have similar lifestyle and income.

Reactions: 1 user
As an IMG, even if you do IM, you will still have a very difficult time getting into derm. IMGs just do not get into derm in the US.

Hi, so I have just graduated and I wanted to know my chances in dermatology residency in America for an international medical graduate? Please? Some details?
Bout tree fiddy.

Unfortunately, the state of Derm is such that even with one or multiple years of research, chances are still less than favorable for IMGs. Chances are even less than ideal for US graduates in many cases as well. There is no "high chance" backdoor into dermatology.

Hard work, dedication, good numbers, a favorable disposition, and the universe bending in your favor are the factors that count...

And as someone else mentioned, perhaps marrying faculty would also help...