DERMATOLOGY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about Dermatology residencies through the DO match? Are they good? Are there really only 20 spots a year? What score do you need on the COMLEX to be competitive? Do you need research?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody knows anything about Dermatology around here?

Probably you're best bet is to post up in the Rotations and Residencies Forum.... You'll get a better response there, I hope....

Members don't see this ad :)
Derm is very tough to get in whether you are DO or MD. I worked in research last year and a researcher down the hall was a derm MD/PhD from Duke. He routinely recruited med school grads who didn't get into a derm residency to do research for a year. The last girl that was there grad from Virginia (very high in her class) and eventually got into her first choice match after doing research in derm for a year (she got into Michigan I think)..
The research is what sent her over the top especially because of her location.... she was at the uniformed Services Univ across the street from the NIH who she collaborated with..... if you are serious abotu derm and wouldn't mind putting in a year to do research I could give you some contacts down ther if you would like.
Pat :)

Most Allopathic Derm programs are located at large University centers.The two Osteopathic programs in NYC are at smaller community hospitals.While they cannot compare to the larger programs in terms of research and teaching by a varied fulltime faculty they are adequate for the training of a general dermatologist.Most allopathic grads who match in Derm have very stong academic records-frequently graduate near the top of their class and/or have done research.Given the very few Osteopathic derm positions available -they will be similarly competitive.

Well, there are 16 programs in the country. Each program has 3-7 slots depending on its size. My estimate would be that there are about 16-20 slots each year available.

Some programs do require research and others do not have such emphasis. All programs are structured 3 years programs and I believe are all quality programs.

As far as COMLEX scores, I don't think there is any published data. Higher is always better. I don't think there exist a DO match for derm. You will need to apply to each individual programs.

Anyone have any info on the Arizona Desert Derm. in Kingman, Bullhead, Hav. City?

They posted a case this month at AOCD grand rounds

http://www.aocd-grandrounds.org/

It is a newer program. Recently approved by AOCD. There is another DO derm program at DO phoenix ariz.

Exactly what would you like to know?