Dermatopathology Fellowship 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start the new thread for the new year of applications. Some of the programs are using ERAS this year. Please list interviews when you hear from anyone of the programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I like that some Dermpath Fellowship programs are participating in ERAS now. It creates a "match system" for those programs participating. This makes it more fair for residents applying, especially those without a Dermpath Fellowship Program in their home program. It is also easier to apply to more programs (vs. applying to each program individually).

But on the negative side, this will cost applicants more $$$ to apply to more programs. And it looks likes only 1/3 of the Dermpath Fellowship programs are participating. Hopefully, more programs will participate in the future.
https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/display8.cfm?NAV_ROW=PAR&SPEC_CD=100

Members don't see this ad :)
Filled:
UCLA

Interviews:

Based on conversation at the dermpath program directors meeting last year, it seemed to me that most directors were willing to accept ERAS (or at least none openly refused to at the meeting or in subsequent emails). That said, I would not be surprised if some programs fill before ERAS even opens for program download in Dec. It will be an interesting and frustrating year. As I am personally in favor of both a later timeline and a Match, I hope that ERAS will at least partially achieve a more balanced and reasonable fellowship application process.

Here is info for our 1-year dermpath program at University of Arkansas (UAMS):

To apply, please submit the following: Curriculum Vitae (with accurate contact information), a personal statement, and three letters of recommendation. No application form is required (although the CAP Standardized Fellowship Application form may be submitted if desired). Applications will be accepted from both dermatology-trained and pathology-trained applicants. We will accept paper and/or digital applications via mail or email. We will also accept applications via ERAS (beginning 12/1/13). Application deadline: January 31 the calendar year prior to starting year (i.e. application deadline of 1/31/14 for the 2015 fellowship year; or, 15 months before start date). Interview period will begin around December 1 and end by February 28 or whenever a fellow has been selected (whichever occurs earlier).​

More info on our page on the path wiki: http://bit.ly/13zAHtP

Last edited:
When do interviews typically start?

When do interviews typically start?

Dermpath fellowship interview timing is, unfortunately, all over the board. I feel that the main range is between October to December (of PGY-3 year), but there may be earlier and later interviews (A few years ago when I was applying, I was personally offered an interview in June of my PGY-3 year, only 13 months before the start of fellowship...I turned it down as I had already accepted a position).

Also, some programs take internal candidates without ever interviewing anyone outside.

Last edited:
So, I assume all 3 Harvard spots have gone to internal candidates this year? Bummer...

So, I assume all 3 Harvard spots have gone to internal candidates this year? Bummer...

There was a Harvard path-trained person that was supposed to start MD Anderson (MDA) Dermpath (DP) Fellowship this June 2013. But this person bailed out in May leaving MDA with 1 less Fellow this year. This made the MDA faculty very angry, especially because this decision was made within 2 months of starting DP Fellowship. I wonder if this person who bailed out on MDA took one of the Harvard 2015 spots. If yes, then Harvard grads may be "black-balled" from MDA Dermpath fellowship in the future.

There is so much that happens in the background.

Filled: Indiana University
Loyola

I spoke with UCLA and they said they are accepting applications, so I am not sure if the spot is actually filled or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Filled:
Mt. Sinai
Loyola
Indiana
Harvard
? UCLA

SLU
Emory
UVA
Mt. Sinai
Loyola
Indiana
Harvard
? UCLA

Do you think the programs filled from inside applicants.

The majority of positions go to internal candidates, often times way before the appropriate application cycle.

I wonder how many spots may be available if many programs fill this early with possibly internal canididates.

Ackerman and Geisinger have sent out interviews

Good luck.

Last edited:
SLU
Emory
UVA
Mt. Sinai
Loyola
Indiana
Harvard
Sloan Kettering
Mayo (the derm trained spot)

SLU
Emory
UVA (2 funded spots filled, one unfunded spot open)
Mt. Sinai
Loyola
Indiana
Harvard
Sloan Kettering
Mayo (the derm trained)
MUSC (filled internally)

Last edited:
Any update? We only have the list of filled programs here, nothing about the programs sending out IVs.

NYU sent out invites too. ERAS is no longer being used. That's all I've got.

It seems many programs are becoming filled.

Can someone list the unfilled programs?

There are still plenty unfilled. There are the programs that were going to use ERAS. Most of them don't even have application due dates until Dec. 1.

BAD NEWS! Unfortunately, it looks like NO program will be using ERAS for Dermpath applications this application cycle.

This is what it says in one of the Dermpath Fellowship program's website:
Editorial comment on the dermatopathology fellowship application process: Like the majority of dermatopathology programs, we were originally planning to use the ERAS electronic application service for positions to begin in 2015. The majority of the 54 dermatopathology fellowship programs had agreed to use this service for the first time in this cycle, to make applications easier for the applicants. Unfortunately, ERAS insists that they do not allow any specialties in medicine to require applications to be submitted earlier than 18 months in advance of a start date. A vocal group of dermatopathology programs decided that they could not deal with this requirement, and began accepting applications 24 months in advance, per their long tradition. ERAS has considered this unfair to applicants, but was told that dermatopathology is very competitive and that these programs did not care about the applicants’ feelings about the current difficult hodgepodge of application requirements. After some programs jumped ship, others began to do so too, because of the fear that they would lose the best applicants to those programs setting early application deadlines. A meeting of program directors in October 2013 resulted in the cancellation of ERAS use for all programs during this cycle, even programs like ours which were still planning to use it. We apologize for the miserable national application process, and are hopeful that the use of some kind of more uniform application process can be adopted in the future.

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/derm/residency/fellowships.html

I have a paper printout of Freida back from when the ERAS programs were listed. They updated and now none are listed as participating.

It won't be a comprehensive list of unfilled programs, but I'll list those programs that WERE going to participate in ERAS asap (out of town for weekend and don't have the list with me). They should still be accepting apps. As I mentioned before, most I saw seemed to have due dates of Dec 1st.

I recently canceled two interviews, so hopefully one of you gets some invite lovin' soon.

Last edited:
whoa.....dramatic. How do you feel this will change the application/acceptance process for both candidates and programs? I bet Jerad Gardner would love to chime in.....

How soon after the interview do you expect an offer or should you give up if you have not heard back in a few days?

Bump I would like to know too.

To Dral, since you found a spot pretty quickly in the process. Any advice?

SLU
Emory
Mt. Sinai
Loyola
Indiana
Harvard
Sloan Kettering
Mayo (the derm trained)
MUSC (filled internally)
Tulane

Bump I would like to know too.

To Dral, since you found a spot pretty quickly in the process. Any advice?

A lot of it is what you expect: interview well, know your dermpath, get people to advocate for you.

Have a good idea about your career plans. Instead of the "why path?" or "why derm?" we got for residency interviews, the career plan question seems to be the major interview discussion. Have a well thought out answer. Be honest, and consistency will follow.

Luckily I really meshed well with one of the programs where I interviewed. That seems to be a big factor in my opinion...the "intangibles". Unfortunately, that is sort of out of our control. Typically we don't know how well we mesh with a program until the interview (unless you rotate at a program). But if you find it, go with it!

Good luck!

Is Harvard really 'full'....or is that just rumor? Typically they haven't interviewed until early December.

What does an unfunded slot mean? Someone who is independently wealthy just wants to do it for fun?

Is Harvard really 'full'....or is that just rumor? Typically they haven't interviewed until early December.
Yes. I emailed regarding their application and they said they have so many internal candidates that they are not accepting outside applications.

Is anyone having their program director or someone else call for them?

Someone told me it could be a position for military who carry their own funding. I'm not 100% on that though.

Yes, it has been filled in previous years by a military individual that comes with funding. I do believe the position comes with benefits. The other option would be to contract with an independent (private) lab, and have them cover your salary for the year in substitute for a "sign-on bonus", but good luck with that. Maybe the last option would be someone that still had grant money from a PhD project. I believe Duke does has the same situation, that they have the volume and accreditation for another position, but their GME office is not willing to fund it. I don't think Duke typically fills that unfunded position.

Is anyone having their program director or someone else call for them?

I'd like to know this answer, too. I don't see how programs select outside candidates (sometimes in upward of 150-200 applications) without being coerced into doing so. I bet that the percentage of unbiased selections, given to outside candidates, is less than 10 percent. That's face it, everyone has a "strong CV" and can argue they are from a "strong program", and have "strong" letters of support. It's nothing more than a rat race.