Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When were you accepted?

September 3rd via an email titled Des Moines University Admissions Decision.

BTW: I've heard the early acceptances (September) will receive scholorship info around the end of this month.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh nice!
September 3rd via an email titled Des Moines University Admissions Decision.

BTW: I've heard the early acceptances (September) will receive scholorship info around the end of this month.
Oh nice! Do you know how the scholarship info works? and who did you hear about this top secret info from?

Oh nice!

Oh nice! Do you know how the scholarship info works? and who did you hear about this top secret info from?
I emailed them and asked. I don't really know how it works, they just mentioned that the committee was meeting this month and expected to mail out info around the end of November.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon! Interviewing Dec. 10, complete ~70 days. Wasn't expecting one from this school so I'm super happy :)

I emailed them and asked. I don't really know how it works, they just mentioned that the committee was meeting this month and expected to mail out info around the end of November.
Oh, gotcha! Thanks for the info haha, I'm still waiting for that decision letter email. I interviewed 10/30 so this Friday will be my 2 week mark. Im hoping for some good news

I am interviewing this Thursday and this is freaking me out! I am sorry to hear that. Everything will work out though.
Thanks Dr. Bird, I hope so. Im sure you'll do great! Best of luck to you.

Accepted! Got the email this morning. Interviewed 10/30.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there a fb group for the class of 2020? so excited to start a new chapter in my life!!!!

They put my application on hold. I am really hoping for an opportunity to interview here, seems like an incredible school. Does anybody know how often they interview off the hold list?

is there a fb group for the class of 2020? so excited to start a new chapter in my life!!!!
There will likely be one shortly. Until then, feel free to reach out to any of the current students on the forum with questions.

There will likely be one shortly. Until then, feel free to reach out to any of the current students on the forum with questions.
IIRC, one of our classmates created ours early on. Do you know if it has to be made by the school?

I have a question about the the service question in the secondary. What do they exactly mean about service? At first, I thought they meant volunteer things, but they also give off examples other than volunteering. I have a scribing experience I'd like to use. Would something like that be appropriate?

I have a question about the the service question in the secondary. What do they exactly mean about service? At first, I thought they meant volunteer things, but they also give off examples other than volunteering. I have a scribing experience I'd like to use. Would something like that be appropriate?
I would say it depends if you have a story that is service-related regarding your experience as a scribe. For me, I view service as some form of personal sacrifice (time, etc.) to help others, and I feel that DMU really wants to see this trait in their applicants. It is possible to have had a "service" experience as a scribe - but for this particular question I used my volunteer experience.

put on " Alternate List for admission". now what?

Time to just wait and see if there is waitlist movement. Or, if you have acceptances from other schools consider those!

Regardless, good luck with everything!

Hi everyone quick inquiry:
I have been accepted to a few schools to date but am still trying to aim for a slightly more established DO such as Des Moines I already have my primary into Des Moines but have yet to turn in a secondary out of hesitance. My question is, is it too late to possibly turn in a secondary to this school? I understand it is already late in the cycle I am simply trying to get some input. BTW congrats to all accepted so far :)

EDIT: Just noticed I posted a similar question a few posts back a month ago. Application/interview process is getting the best of me and my memory. Sorry for the re-post :unsure:

Last edited:
I think you should go for it and submit a secondary. Even though it is late in the cycle the worst thing that could happen is you get a rejection. If you don't submit, you never have a chance of getting accepted but if you do, you at least have a chance.

A friend of mine submitted his secondary to DMU December 1st last year and got accepted. You never know, if you really want to give it a try, go for it!

Woke up to an acceptance email this morning! I am beyond ecstatic!!! I really did love my interview day and felt like this school actually clicked with me.

For those interested...interviewed 11/6, Gpa 3.6, multiple MCATs 27-29, strong EC's (clinical, nonclinical, research with pubs and presentations).

ETA: It's official; I put down my deposit, withdrew my acceptance from another school, and cancelled my other interviews!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today at 2pm. Interviewed 11/6 :smug:

Time to just wait and see if there is waitlist movement. Or, if you have acceptances from other schools consider those!

Regardless, good luck with everything!
i got accepted to kcumb. so its either that or dmu

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 11/6. GPAc 3.77 GPAs roughly 3.65 MCAT 27 and 509. So stoked!

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted as well... I've heard from DMU faculty that they dip pretty far into the alt list based on previous years. A lot of acceptances to be had yet!

Accepted from interview earlier this month!! LizzyM 71. Still waiting to hear back from a few other schools closer to home, but really enjoyed my day at DMU and the people I met! Great school that seems to put graduates in place to succeed.

Last edited:
rejected on day 60 s/p secondary but before II; marked complete second week September

I interviewed here on Friday and loved it, just like everyone else. I would go here if I got accepted. The only thing, though, that I haven't seen mentioned on this forum is that Dr. Polk is leaving next month! He won't be the dean when the class of 2020 matriculates :(

I interviewed here on Friday and loved it, just like everyone else. I would go here if I got accepted. The only thing, though, that I haven't seen mentioned on this forum is that Dr. Polk is leaving next month! He won't be the dean when the class of 2020 matriculates :(
Woah! When was that announcement made? That'd be a big loss for the med school.

Can any current student comment on DMU's average USMLE scores this past year and/or 2014?

Does anybody know how frequently the school interviews off the hold list?

Has anyone heard about scholarships for DMU? I was told in my interview that the committee usually meets in early November to discuss, and I was wondering if they have already sent them out?

Whose got two thumbs and is going to be a doctor!?

THIS GUY!

Accepted a few minutes ago by email!!!

Whose got two thumbs and is going to be a doctor!?

THIS GUY!

Accepted a few minutes ago by email!!!
Congrats dude! I think I made the same comment lol. Any word from KC?

Congrats dude! I think I made the same comment lol. Any word from KC?
Haha. Thanks man! And not yet. They said it might take a little longer than the average wait time. I guess the admissions committee had met the day before my interview, so they wouldn't be meeting for a while. But man does this feel good! Haha

Haha. Thanks man! And not yet. They said it might take a little longer than the average wait time. I guess the admissions committee had met the day before my interview, so they wouldn't be meeting for a while. But man does this feel good! Haha
Seriously congrats man. What a relief to get that first acceptance in your back pocket.

Seriously congrats man. What a relief to get that first acceptance in your back pocket.
Thanks dude. It feels great. And just to follow up, I just got accepted to Kansas City like a half hour ago. Haha. Two in one day makes a great day!

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current students comment on how likely it is to stay in Des Moines for 3rd year core rotations? Or what percentage of the class is able to rotate at the year-long sites at Mercy or Unity Point in Des Moines?

I'd like to know the reverse of the above question... How difficult is it as a DMU student to set up away rotations? Thanks!