Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted yesterday morning! Interviewed 11/12. SO HAPPY!! I love the school and will not be surprised if it's where I end up. Sending positive vibes to those still eagerly waiting for news.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the scholarship info this morning! Yipperoo! Love this school:love:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the scholarship info this morning! Yipperoo! Love this school:love:
So I'm assuming this means you got a scholarship right? Would you mind sharing your stats and what type of scholarship you were awarded?

Last edited:
36 MCAT, 3.5 GPA, OOS nontrad - half tuition scholarship

That's awesome! Congrats. Gives me hope that I might get something later down the road when some people decide to go to other schools. Haha

Are scholarships rare? Anyone have any idea how many students receive scholarships?
@htm10 damn. Thats a hell of a MCAT.

Are scholarships rare? Anyone have any idea how many students receive scholarships?
@htm10 damn. Thats a hell of a MCAT.
Thanks! I think they give scholarships to people with 30+ mcat and 3.5+ gpa. From what I have heard, they give a bunch of smaller scholarships, a handful of quarter and half tuition scholarships, and have even given out a full tuition, but I'm not sure common that is. Maybe someone else knows more details. They are for one year, renewable for four if you meet certain conditions.

Just submitted my secondary here. Better late than never! I submitted my AACOMAS in late September and got my secondary from DMU in mid November. I struggled with the questions a bit, and I'm glad to have this secondary submitted. From what I've briefly seen so far, this school sounds incredible. Here's to waiting 60 days... Glad to be here with you all!

Just submitted my secondary here. Better late than never! I submitted my AACOMAS in late September and got my secondary from DMU in mid November. I struggled with the questions a bit, and I'm glad to have this secondary submitted. From what I've briefly seen so far, this school sounds incredible. Here's to waiting 60 days... Glad to be here with you all!

Why 60? Do they usually take the full 60 days to get back to you regardless of whether or not it's a II or rejection?

Why 60? Do they usually take the full 60 days to get back to you regardless of whether or not it's a II or rejection?
60 is the maximum amount of time it takes for someone to hear back from DMU, but it could certainly be shorter than that. I just said 60 so that if it takes that long, I won't be dismayed and if it comes sooner then it will be a nice surprise. I haven't followed this thread closely yet so I don't know what the average turn around time is for applicants.

Here is this from their secondary website: "All completed applications will be reviewed by admissions staff, and initial file decisions will be delivered within 60 days of the file completion notification. We appreciate your patience during this time frame as we evaluate completed files. Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis throughout the cycle; there is no single notification date. Initial file decisions will be delivered within 60 days of file completion and may include:

1) An invitation to interview on campus.
2) File placed in HOLD status (not invited to interview at this time, but still under consideration.)
3) No invitation to interview is offered; application file is withdrawn from consideration."

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on how likely it is to stay in Des Moines for 3rd year core rotations? Or what percentage of the class is able to rotate at the year-long sites at Mercy or Unity Point in Des Moines?

I'd like to know the reverse of the above question... How difficult is it as a DMU student to set up away rotations? Thanks!

Some sites are more competitive than others. Getting to where you want specifically may be tough outside of Des Moines, but if you are looking to just leave, not a problem at all. As for staying here in Des Moines, DMU for my class and the class below me (things can always change) the Des Moines rotations were unity point, mercy, and non-year long Iowa. There were 22 spots for methodist (for me, this may have gone up) and 36 spots for mercy. Out of a class of 220, thats 25% stayed. There were also about 50 people who did non-yearlong iowa. However, Mercy and UnityPoint are undoubtedly the most competitive rotation sites of all the sites. You can write a personal statement, and each hospital can fill half of their spots with people of their choosing, but still. In addition, I did NYL Iowa and i would say 1/3 of my third year was done at Mercy with another 2 rotations at UnityPoint.

If you are talking about 4th year, setting up away rotations is super easy. 4th year is almost entirely mine to do whatever i want. That is pretty awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Have they announced a date for a second look day in the spring yet?

What effect, if any, do current students see the dean leaving having? Saw this mentioned in an earlier post, but didn't see any feedback.

What effect, if any, do current students see the dean leaving having? Saw this mentioned in an earlier post, but didn't see any feedback.
Nobody seems worried. The professors know what they are doing and will continue to teach us what we need to know.

Today is 60 days exactly from the email. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks! I think they give scholarships to people with 30+ mcat and 3.5+ gpa. From what I have heard, they give a bunch of smaller scholarships, a handful of quarter and half tuition scholarships, and have even given out a full tuition, but I'm not sure common that is. Maybe someone else knows more details. They are for one year, renewable for four if you meet certain conditions.
Congrats on the scholarship! Have you already put your deposit down on the school? I'm a little curious about how scholarships are awarded. I have 511 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. I haven't heard anything about scholarship, but I also haven't put down my deposit to the school and was wondering if maybe I'd be awarded one when I do?
I know there are tons of qualified students, so I don't expect to get a scholarship, I'm just so thankful to have been accepted! But was just curious if maybe there is a chance to get one?

Congrats on the scholarship! Have you already put your deposit down on the school? I'm a little curious about how scholarships are awarded. I have 511 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. I haven't heard anything about scholarship, but I also haven't put down my deposit to the school and was wondering if maybe I'd be awarded one when I do?
I know there are tons of qualified students, so I don't expect to get a scholarship, I'm just so thankful to have been accepted! But was just curious if maybe there is a chance to get one?
When did you interview? I was part of the first interview group and only heard recently. I think the scholarship committee meets like once a month. I emailed asking when I would hear about scholarships and they had a friendly and prompt response. I would imagine that with those numbers you will get something. Congrats on the great numbers and the acceptance!

Does DMU send a snail mail acceptance package as well as an email?
We received something in the mail last year, but I don't recall it being an actual acceptance package. The school will send most everything electronically, and in time you will be granted a school e-mail and be granted access to the online portal system. The amount of information you can access via the portal will increase as you get closer to the start of school, and there will be a checklist with everything you need to complete prior to orientation. The admissions office will soon begin to send monthly newsletters to your e-mail to keep you updated if they haven't started already. I added some extra info there, but the short version is that most everything comes electronically.

Congrats on the scholarship! Have you already put your deposit down on the school? I'm a little curious about how scholarships are awarded.

I asked this at my interview day and they said that they will send you scholarship information after you are accepted but before your deposit deadline, which is awesome and makes complete sense!

It's crazy how long the application season seems vs. reality. I feel like I interviewed here forever ago and it's been less than a month. :smack:

I sent in my secondary 2 weeks ago (to the date), never even got a "complete" email, but just received an interview!!! I was really surprised after hearing about the 60-70 day waits, actually almost didn't even submit my app. Did this happen to anyone else, hoping that's a good sign!

Last edited:
I sent in my secondary 2 weeks ago (to the date), never even got a "complete" email, but just received an interview!!! I was really surprised after hearing about the 60-70 day waits, actually almost didn't even submit my app. Did this happen to anyone else, hoping that's a good sign!
Whoa, super fast. What are your stats?

Sorry to hear! Your stats if you don't mind?

:( Did they wait the full 60 days since the submission of your secondary to notify you?

It's alright! I'm still optimistic about the cycle. 3.55 cgpa, 3.32 sgpa, 503 mcat (strong upward trend).

I was rejected about two weeks from the complete email.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't take biochem in undergrad and feel like that definitely played a part in their decision. Just recently discovered it was a pre-req here! I would've taken it if accepted here though!

Can anyone speak to the quality of rotations at Doctor's Hospital in Columbus?

I didn't take biochem in undergrad and feel like that definitely played a part in their decision. Just recently discovered it was a pre-req here! I would've taken it if accepted here though!
I haven't taken biochem yet either and was placed on Pre-II hold today so I don't think that is a deciding factor

Is there an FB group for newly accepted students?

Is there an FB group for newly accepted students?
You can start it up if you're tech savvy. Just follow the trend of the current FB page. One of our classmates set ours up.

You can start it up if you're tech savvy. Just follow the trend of the current FB page. One of our classmates set ours up.
Yeah I wish I was more tech savvy (that'll have to change I guess) I'll try but if anyone else that knows how to set up a group and is willing to that would be much appreciated! Thanks for the tip

It's crazy how long the application season seems vs. reality. I feel like I interviewed here forever ago and it's been less than a month. :smack:

I feel this way too. When was your interview date/have you heard back?

Interviewed in early November and heard back I think somewhere in mid-November.
How about you?

Oh I see! I assumed your message meant you hadn't heard back yet. I interviewed 11/20 and haven't heard back.

Tough decision to make, but I am withdrawing my acceptance here :( hope the spot goes to one of you deserving people!

ACCEPTED !!!!! WOW I will be a DOCTOR:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users