Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed 12/18 and received an acceptance email this morning!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted my secondary to DMU. A little late, but I'm still hoping for an interview!

I'm at 64 days now... no email yet. :( Do you guys think I should give them a call or keep waiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 12/17 and received the acceptance yesterday morning! Super stoked! I'm OOS though, so does anyone know how to go about looking for a place to live??

Does the day you hear back mean anything about whether you got accepted, just saw someone from my interview date got accepted yesterday and I still haven't heard anything. Is this a bad sign?

Does any one know if I can check that all my prereqs are good for DMU? I interviewed recently and I'm trying to determine if I need any other classes. Thanks.

Does any one know if I can check that all my prereqs are good for DMU? I interviewed recently and I'm trying to determine if I need any other classes. Thanks.

Last year I was able to do that through aacomas. I'm not sure if you still can. The prereqs are on the website. If you're not sure if your class fulfilled the requirement, then I'd say give the administration a call. If you're accepted they give you a to do list and if you didn't fulfill a prereq it would be on there pretty sure.

Can current students give any information on average board scores? (COMLEX and USMLE)

Just FYI for you accepted students, they are not hosting a Second Look Day this year. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
that's unfortunate, did you hear that from admissions?
Yes. I'm wondering if it's because of the deans changing...

I was really looking forward to that day! Oh well, at least now I have flexibility in choosing flights! lol

Just got accepted the other day too and OOS. I remember reading somewhere that we get access to DMU Pulse when we have our emails given to us? If someone knows more information on that, any help would be appreciated.

Also, not sure if its been said before, but is there a Facebook page?

Congrats!! They haven't sent us anything new on pulse access. They says they will give us access in Spring.
FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/504824269691570/

Just got accepted the other day too and OOS. I remember reading somewhere that we get access to DMU Pulse when we have our emails given to us? If someone knows more information on that, any help would be appreciated.

Also, not sure if its been said before, but is there a Facebook page?

They say that sometime in the spring we'll get our accounts for DMU Pulse. Hopefully it's sometime next month.

Yes. I'm wondering if it's because of the deans changing...

I was really looking forward to that day! Oh well, at least now I have flexibility in choosing flights! lol
More likely due to the timing of spring break and a really busy April/May for first years and second years gearing up for boards. If you guys are interested in coming back to DSM to look for housing and want to swing by the school just get in touch with admissions and they can set you up with one of us for the day!

Can current students give any information on average board scores? (COMLEX and USMLE)

Last years class was well above average on COMLEX, around average to slightly below on USMLE.

98-99% first time pass rate on COMLEX

Reactions: 1 user
Applied late. Complete 1/06. Any hope for an interview?!

is it possible at DMU to do rotations for 3rd/4th year in california?

Yes. DMU has contracts with a number of sites in Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Missouri, etc. for third year rotations, and the vast majority of students go to those sites, either for year-long or non year-long rotations. But basically, if you are able to form connections and find someone who will take on a medical student for rotations, you can set it up yourself. Any new arrangement just needs to go through the proper channels at DMU. I know people who have planned entire years of rotations back in their hometown in a place where DMU had no existing rotation sites nearby.

Secondary complete: 11/30, Interview invite: 12/8, Interview: 1/8, Accepted today.
Best of luck to everyone. Looking forward to getting to know the class of 2020.

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary complete: 11/30, Interview invite: 12/8, Interview: 1/8, Accepted today.
Best of luck to everyone. Looking forward to getting to know the class of 2020.

Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing?
I have been under review since 11/9 and I still haven't heard back from DMU... :(

Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing?
I have been under review since 11/9 and I still haven't heard back from DMU... :(

Looks like they're on the fence about giving you a II. There has been plenty of people complete and ready for review after you that were put on hold almost immediately...

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 01/07. OOS LizzyM 67. Anyone know when we can apply for scholarships?

Looks like they're on the fence about giving you a II. There has been plenty of people complete and ready for review after you that were put on hold almost immediately...

Yup, that's what it sounds like to me too... hope I hear back sometime this week.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 01/07. OOS LizzyM 67. Anyone know when we can apply for scholarships?
From what I heard at my interview, it sounds like all applicants are already considered for the scholarships, so we don't have to do anything extra. That is for the scholarships through the school at least. I didn't get an answer as to when the scholarship recipients would find out though. I bet you could call the admissions office to find out though.

how much do the apartments across the street from campus cost per month?

II just now at 65 days! application complete 11/16 :)

Congrats guys!
For everyone else, I just called them and they said the review process is taking closer to 70 days.

Reactions: 2 users
II a few hours ago. I got the complete email yesterday. Excited to get to know Des Moines!

Depends on what apartment building you are referring to. I live at imperial with a roommate and it's$400 / month per person plus ~90 for utilities cable and Internet. 3000 grand is 100 more per month for a much nicer place. Add another 100 if you live alone.

Reactions: 2 users

The 1 bedroom apartments in Grand Prix (3205 Grand) are ~$600-$650 per month, heat and water included.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 1/14...wondering when we're going to hear back.

More likely due to the timing of spring break and a really busy April/May for first years and second years gearing up for boards. If you guys are interested in coming back to DSM to look for housing and want to swing by the school just get in touch with admissions and they can set you up with one of us for the day!
Really? That'd be awesome I'm thinking of coming out in March to find a place! I can't wait to go here and am ready for these next 6 months to fly by

Really? That'd be awesome I'm thinking of coming out in March to find a place! I can't wait to go here and am ready for these next 6 months to fly by
Yep, just get in touch with the admissions staff and they can help you figure out logistics. It's exciting to be ready to start medical school but don't wish away your time for now - do everything you want to do and have fun. Go on vacation, spend time with your family and friends and just enjoy your life for the next couple months!

Reactions: 3 users
can anyone who interviewed give feedback about the tougher questions asked during the interview?

can anyone who interviewed give feedback about the tougher questions asked during the interview?

I genuinely didn't feel like any of my questions were "Tough". My interviewers were just trying to get to know me. There weren't any ethical questions or current event questions that usually trip up interviewees. I would just go in confident, know your application inside and out and be ready to discuss it, and know why you want to go to DMU and why you would be a good fit. It really was one of, if not the, most relaxed interviews I have done. Good luck!

Just got accepted today! Anyone know of the scholarship process? I'm torn between here and Midwestern. They seem comparable but obviously cheaper here and the prospect of scholarships.

Just got accepted today! Anyone know of the scholarship process? I'm torn between here and Midwestern. They seem comparable but obviously cheaper here and the prospect of scholarships.
From what I remember, accepted students are automatically considered for scholarships. So you don't have to apply for any that are through the school. I don't know how often they meet to decide who gets them but I know that you can end up getting one at any time really. My buddy at DMU right now got in and about a month and a half later got a half scholarship. I don't know how to determine how likely you are to get one though. But good luck and congrats!

Go DMU. Those were the same 2 acceptances I had and DMU is cheaper, better place to live :)

Go DMU. Those were the same 2 acceptances I had and DMU is cheaper, better place to live :)

The other factor for me is that I am from Chicago--specifically my parents live ten minutes from the school. I also want to do rotations in Chicago, not somewhere like Iowa. Would choosing DMU over CCOM hinder me from Chicago rotations in third and fourth year?

declined my interview invite here hope it goes to one of you guys

Has anyone called admissions to find out when Pulse accounts are going to be sent out to us? also have ya'll started filling out the fafsa?

The other factor for me is that I am from Chicago--specifically my parents live ten minutes from the school. I also want to do rotations in Chicago, not somewhere like Iowa. Would choosing DMU over CCOM hinder me from Chicago rotations in third and fourth year?
From what I was told, no. As long as you have the means to set up your rotations you can do whatever you want.