Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes they have added rotations sites elsewhere. The Florida site that may or may not still be on that list is gone. Multiple sites were added in Wisconsin, Texas, and Minnesota this year.

Is anyone able to give a list of the new sites that were added? Or are they listed on Pulse somewhere? I'm particularly curious about the Minnesota sites.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone able to give a list of the new sites that were added? Or are they listed on Pulse somewhere? I'm particularly curious about the Minnesota sites.

Southeast, South, and Southwest of the Twin cities ranging from 45 mins to 2 hours, again prefer to not give specific details as sites change from year to year

Hey guys! First time poster on here... I was invited to interview today and scheduled for March 25th. I'm OOS (Washington) and have an acceptance to PNWU, which I love, but I like the reputation of DMU. I'd probably be risking losing out on roommates/house etc by waiting around for an acceptance, so I'm struggling with validating my decision to pursue this school. Can anyone educate me on the likelihood of getting in--or at this point in the game am I competing for a spot on the waitlist? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! First time poster on here... I was invited to interview today and scheduled for March 25th. I'm OOS (Washington) and have an acceptance to PNWU, which I love, but I like the reputation of DMU. I'd probably be risking losing out on roommates/house etc by waiting around for an acceptance, so I'm struggling with validating my decision to pursue this school. Can anyone educate me on the likelihood of getting in--or at this point in the game am I competing for a spot on the waitlist? Thank you!!
Congrats on receiving an interview! If you are dead set on PNWU and can see yourself comfortably going there then you could pass up on this opportunity to interview at DMU. If you have the money and are are open to going to Iowa for medical school, then I say go for the interview. Worst case scenario is that you do not get in but at least you'll have had a new experience and get to check out the area. Having interviewed just last week, I can say it was an amazing experience and I would recommend everyone else to check it out if it is in their means (can see yourself going there, can afford to make the trip). Like I said, just interviewed last week and got accepted so as of now they are still accepting and not for waitlist spots. In the end it is a personal choice and one that only you can make. Good luck with your decision and congrats on your medical school acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user

Yes congrats on the interview! As for the waiting game issue you brought up, DMU is arguably one of the fastest admissions offices out there. When they give you an interview, they often give you the option of interviewing the next week, and if accepted, your decision would come that following Friday. So realistically, you could have an acceptance by March 25 or April 1 depending if you interview next week or the week after. Also, they have have been giving a solid proportion of acceptances each week, so you will have a good shot if you do decide to interview. On top of it, I absolutely loved the school and the people. Just my opinion, hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Accepted last Friday! Interviewed 2/25. Super pumped!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on receiving an interview! If you are dead set on PNWU and can see yourself comfortably going there then you could pass up on this opportunity to interview at DMU. If you have the money and are are open to going to Iowa for medical school, then I say go for the interview. Worst case scenario is that you do not get in but at least you'll have had a new experience and get to check out the area. Having interviewed just last week, I can say it was an amazing experience and I would recommend everyone else to check it out if it is in their means (can see yourself going there, can afford to make the trip). Like I said, just interviewed last week and got accepted so as of now they are still accepting and not for waitlist spots. In the end it is a personal choice and one that only you can make. Good luck with your decision and congrats on your medical school acceptance!
Yes congrats on the interview! As for the waiting game issue you brought up, DMU is arguably one of the fastest admissions offices out there. When they give you an interview, they often give you the option of interviewing the next week, and if accepted, your decision would come that following Friday. So realistically, you could have an acceptance by March 25 or April 1 depending if you interview next week or the week after. Also, they have have been giving a solid proportion of acceptances each week, so you will have a good shot if you do decide to interview. On top of it, I absolutely loved the school and the people. Just my opinion, hope it helps

Thank you guys!! Very helpful. Also making my decision even harder... lol I'm excited to check things out! Does anyone have a link to recent match lists by chance??

Does anyone know if scholarships come out on a rolling basis? Has anyone gotten any? I thought at the interview they said they give out around 20 half and/or full scholarships based on interviews and stats. Or is there a certain day that they let people know?

Question for current students, is Dean Polk coming back to DMU. Or are they naming a permanent replacement?

Does anyone know if scholarships come out on a rolling basis? Has anyone gotten any? I thought at the interview they said they give out around 20 half and/or full scholarships based on interviews and stats. Or is there a certain day that they let people know?
Emailed admissions about this one. They said that all of their scholarships were given away to people who were accepted early fall. However, if they decide to decline their acceptance they will select someone else.

Did you guys get news from the 3/11 interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting and I had interview on 3/10. what time during the day did most people hear back??
When I got the acceptance email it was at like 4:30 or so Iowa time. So it was pretty late in the day.

Are acceptances and post-interview rejections sent out the same day?

Are acceptances and post-interview rejections sent out the same day?

Not usually. Acceptances generally go out 4:30 central time the Friday after your interview. Waitlists/rejections early the week after that

Any acceptances today then?

I wouldn't be discouraged guys, who knows if the committee decided to meet another day or that decisions are just a little delayed because it's the end of the cycle. I say give it time, and just because you didn't get an acceptance today that you won't get one next week or the week after. After all, they do say decisions will take 2-3 weeks not 7-8 days lol

ya just keep waiting. the deadline for deposits for those accepted like two weeks ago was today so they are probably trying to see how many seats they have to give away.

Wait listed this morning :/ hoping for some movement this year! I would love to go to DMU.

Reactions: 1 users
Do any current students have any insight as to how the match went?

Do any current students have any insight as to how the match went?
100% match rate for the 3rd year in a row. No specifics on specialties/locations yet, but I'm sure it will be coming out shortly.

Anyone know if there is a Facebook page for accepted students?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ditto -- I asked and they said they take about 15-20 off of the list and they rank them at the end of April, with acceptances sent out in early May. So I guess more waiting.......

Alternate list as well. fingers crossed for May

Any hope for an interview this late in the game? I keep getting emails that my application is still under review by the committee.

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting. Hello Class of 2020! Does anyone know if we have a Facebook page for our class of 2020?????

While I loved the school at DMU and everyone I met there on my interview day, I will be declining my acceptance. I hope one of you gets the spot!

Reactions: 3 users
For those accepted - anyone know if there's certain mandates in order to matriculate regarding finishing up undergrad classes? Is there a minimum grade/GPA that must be achieved?

There wasn't last year. Just have to have a degree and pass your required courses. If you don't have one yet, you'll get a "Conditions of Enrollment" form, which has the stuff you need to get done by the fall.

Yea, I got the conditions of enrollment form and it's just about getting the drug test and background check done before matriculation, no mention of grades. I was just wondering because I'm looking to get a D in one of my classes in my major - I'll still be able to graduate but didn't know if there was a specific mandate by the school. I was thinking not since they accepted me based on my AACOMAS application which is only up to Junior year.

I would most definitely check with the school itself. At every interview I've attended they've said "don't fail any of your classes and you'll be fine" but since a D is failing, call them.

If you're already accepted they won't rescind it for asking, but they may if you actually get a D and don't know the rules. Call and ask

Hey guys, giving up my acceptance spot. One of you lucky waitlisters will snag the spot! Enjoy the school! If it wasn't for my other acceptance, I would have loved coming to DMU.

Reactions: 5 users