Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So we should call I guess? I don't want all the good spots to be taken

August 20th at 8.30. So stoked to get an interview out of the way before school starts and I miss classes.

congrats guys!! @Gandy741 did you hear anything back from dmu? since we've the same complete date (submitted on 6/30 and complete on 7/6)

What is the percent of those interviewed are accepted? Does anyone know?

Having a hard time finding how much the deposit is to hold your seat if you are accepted. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats guys!! @Gandy741 did you hear anything back from dmu? since we've the same complete date (submitted on 6/30 and complete on 7/6)
I was complete around then also. No II. My thought process every time I go on SDN...
" Oh, people started getting interview invites from XCOM."
" Oh, I was complete before them. "
Check my email... "Oh, I didn't get an II."
"Well, I guess that's that."

SDN is a cruel mistress

Reactions: 11 users
I got the complete email on 7/16 and no II as of yet. Hoping for one soon! Congrats to everyone who got one today!

I got the complete email on 7/16 and no II as of yet. Hoping for one soon! Congrats to everyone who got one today!
Same. Complete as of 7/7. Hoping for an invite soon. Good luck to all!

Don't sweat it if you didn't get an II yet. The first year class doesn't even start until next week so I'm sure they're busy and sending out just a few for the first dates (I think the 20th and 21st?). The cycle is looooooong.

It seems pretty impossible at this point, but seriously, find a hobby that will keep you busy for the next couple months and try to keep your mind off of it. Once the secondary is submitted, there is nothing you can do but wait unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user

Nope. People are getting II's from Kirksville too. I didnt get one from there either. Nothing from the MD schools I'm applying to either. The only place I've gotten an invite from that doenst pretty much give out free II's is AZCOM.

lol. Not looking too good

there are schools that give out free ii? which osteopathic schools are those?

Submitted Secondaries 7/2. I called up and they said my mcat scores weren't officially released....had them released and posted on aacomas 7/14. I called up again and they said that everything is in and I still have yet to receive a complete status email. Very discouraged considering that I live in Iowa....

Got an II as well! Submitted 7/20. Complete 7/23. Good luck guys!

Ugh nvm... I hate the application process.

Reactions: 1 users

I feel like I'm following you on some of these threads lol.

Don't get discouraged yet. It's a long cycle and from what I understand from reading on here, the IIs that are coming out now are atypically early.

I feel like I'm following you on some of these threads lol.

Don't get discouraged yet. It's a long cycle and from what I understand from reading on here, the IIs that are coming out now are atypically early.

Thats because we are probably both applying to the same schools and I'm betting that you are a borderline MD applicant like myself?

Thats because we are probably both applying to the same schools and I'm betting that you are a borderline MD applicant like myself?

Those are both accurate statements.

Any current students or anyone who has an II have an idea for where to stay. I don't want to shell out the 90 bucks to stay near the airport. . .

Any current students or anyone who has an II have an idea for where to stay. I don't want to shell out the 90 bucks to stay near the airport. . .
If you've got the money I highly recommend the Hampton by the airport. They have a ton of interviewees stay there, includes free breakfast and the shuttle will drop you off at the front door for your interview and pick you up when you call. I stayed one night, booked a flight home for 4PM that night and made it in plenty of time... So if you can swing the flights or drive, I would just give yourself a good night of rest beforehand and hop out of town before shelling out the cash for a second night in a hotel.

For those who have already filled out the secondary app, did you try and utilize close to the 500 words allotted? I feel like that's a lot of space for the questions being asked. I'm afraid of adding fluff to get closer to the word limit, but also don't want my responses to be too short.

For those who have already filled out the secondary app, did you try and utilize close to the 500 words allotted? I feel like that's a lot of space for the questions being asked. I'm afraid of adding fluff to get closer to the word limit, but also don't want my responses to be too short.
I didn't even get close to the limit. I had about 200-300 words on each.

II yesterday

Use as many words as you need to answer the question as best as you can. I used the full word limit for the first question and about 300 words for the second question.

Hey guys I'm a 2nd year at DMU if you have any questions, I'll try and answer as best I can.

Hi! I'm also a 2nd year at DMU. And so you don't get too spoiled with help, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them as poorly and frustratingly as possible.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I'm also a 2nd year at DMU. And so you don't get too spoiled with help, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them as poorly and frustratingly as possible.

Good luck!
Can you tell us some of your favorite and least favorite things about A. The school and B. The city. Also how is the public transportation? What is the cost of living like? Sorry for all the random questions

I agree, waiting for interview invites or rejections sucks lol. Seeing others get interviews at schools I applied to makes me feel inadequate :(.

Need advice on the 1st prompt!

I have shadowed a DO a couple of times and I can definitely talk about that, but I have also spent a significant amount of time working for an Internist that's an MD. Would it be okay to talk about the latter as it has exposed me to the field of primary care, even though it is not osteopathic?

Need advice on the 1st prompt!

I have shadowed a DO a couple of times and I can definitely talk about that, but I have also spent a significant amount of time working for an Internist that's an MD. Would it be okay to talk about the latter as it has exposed me to the field of primary care, even though it is not osteopathic?
I think so. Tie it in by saying something like "I appreciate the emphasis placed on primary care by DO schools. While I haven't decided on a specialty, I am very open minded towards primary care because of my shadowing experiences."

I think so. Tie it in by saying something like "I appreciate the emphasis placed on primary care by DO schools. While I haven't decided on a specialty, I am very open minded towards primary care because of my shadowing experiences."

Thanks!

Can you tell us some of your favorite and least favorite things about A. The school and B. The city. Also how is the public transportation? What is the cost of living like? Sorry for all the random questions

Current 2nd year chiming in.

I'm from Chicago and I've lived and gone to school at the various options from small town rural to huge university and big cities. Des Moines is, to put it the best way, a bigger city that retains its small town atmosphere. Plenty to do and everything you need is here without the craziness of a huge city like Chicago/NY/etc.

I haven't used the public transportation, but you ride free with your DMU ID so that's a plus.

Cost of living is as cheap as it gets. Des Moines as a whole COA is 10% below the national average. Depends on what you're coming from as well. For example, my apt is a 1 BR 540/mo rent, I pay a total of 600/mo with utilities/cable/internet/heating. Never much more than that.

Feel free to shoot me a message if any of you have questions or you can ask them on here and just quote me.

Looking for some advice on the 2nd prompt!

Trying to decide between talking about a volunteer position in the hospital where I interact with patients and their families versus working as a lab TA. The volunteer route would be ideal but I talked about it in my personal statement. The TA route would work as well, going with the angle that because of it I am better at teaching and explaining ideas, which is a skill needed to treat and care for the patient. What do you guys think?

Cost of living is as cheap as it gets. Des Moines as a whole COA is 10% below the national average. Depends on what you're coming from as well. For example, my apt is a 1 BR 540/mo rent, I pay a total of 600/mo with utilities/cable/internet/heating. Never much more than that..

I hate New York City :( I paid twice that when I was in college

I'm from Chicago and I've lived and gone to school at the various options from small town rural to huge university and big cities. Des Moines is, to put it the best way, a bigger city that retains its small town atmosphere. Plenty to do and everything you need is here without the craziness of a huge city like Chicago/NY/etc.

I haven't used the public transportation, but you ride free with your DMU ID so that's a plus.

Cost of living is as cheap as it gets. Des Moines as a whole COA is 10% below the national average. Depends on what you're coming from as well. For example, my apt is a 1 BR 540/mo rent, I pay a total of 600/mo with utilities/cable/internet/heating. Never much more than that.

Feel free to shoot me a message if any of you have questions or you can ask them on here and just quote me.
Why did you choose DMU and what do you like and dislike one year in?

DMU seems to provide itself on using a lot of OMM. How do you feel about it?

School
Favorite
: the atmosphere and how everyone treats each other. I hear horror stories on reddit and elsewhere about people being stabbed in the back by their gunner classmates, and that seems so foreign to me. The class Facebook page is full of people sharing study guides, reminding classmates that the exam the next morning is at 7:30 rather than the usual 8 AM, etc.. The professors also do a great job of making themselves available. The night before an exam, a lot of professors will be hanging around the commons area or the library to answer any questions.

Least favorite
: This is honestly difficult to come up with. One year in, I really haven't had any moments of real frustration or wishing things were different. Some people get frustrated by the constant barrage of exams, practicals, etc. and wish we were on a block system. But I think having at least one test every week keeps me from getting too lazy. I guess I could say that I miss some of the facilities of a larger university. People want to play recreational soccer or go swimming, and you'll have to find other places in town to do those. But if you like basketball, you're in business.

Des Moines:
Favorite: There's plenty to do. Lots of food and entertainment downtown (which is relatively close to campus), parks, etc. A bar with unlimited wing night right down the street from campus. People say that the downtown area has really changed over the last decade or so, with more young people living in the area and more to do.

Least favorite: Probably the weather. I moved a few more blocks away from campus this year and I'm not looking forward to walking on a day when there are 8 inches of snow on the ground and it's 5 degrees. I don't really have other bad things to say about it. Other people might have more complaints about the nature of the city, but I'm from the Midwest and this feel is pretty much what I'm used to. Some people want to live in a place like Chicago. I don't.

Public transportation
I can't really comment on this because I don't use it. My wife and I share a car. But I know that DMU is very close to 2 different bus routes that travel on Ingersoll (a block from Grand, which DMU is on). I can't comment on hours, reliability, etc. though.

Cost of living:
I guess your perception of this one depends where you're from. Apartments downtown and near campus are the most expensive, and you generally will find more bang for your buck as you head west or south, which are common places to find apartments. Depending on if you're living by yourself or with another person, expect to pay anywhere from $500-750 for your share of a 1-2 bedroom near campus, the high end of that being a larger 1-bedroom by yourself. For my first year my wife and I were in an apartment that was too small and we paid $640 in rent. Now we're in a larger 2-bedroom in a nicer building and we pay ~$1,000. Lots of places include some utilities (both of ours included water, heat, trash), so the total you'll pay each month depends where you want to live and what's included.