Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here... it's tough striking that balance between friendly reminder vs annoying nagging.

Yeah... ah well if I email him and haven't heard back from him over a week later I'm going to email again :D I was just like oh BTW secondaries are in so my file will be complete as soon as I have your letter! Hint, hint!

And I forgot to say this earlier but CONGRATS to all who got Fast Track interviews!! Wishing you the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what this fast track stuff is? I just scheduled my interview today for September 10th. Who's joining me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be there with you, like I said previously if you want to meet up and grab dinner/drinks message through here and we can try and set something up while there.

I figure this is better than being stuck in being freaked out about the interview. ha

No love for high MCAT scores. Only high GPAs. :(

I think you need both. I have a 3.7/3.9 with no invite.

I don't consider 28 to be high, but I guess it's high enough for DO schools to consider high.

Guys don't let the fast track bug you. It did me last year and like I said, it saves a week. You guys are all way ahead of the game and because you are so early, each one has a decent shot. Don't be bummed because you didn't get a fast track interview. Sometimes it seems arbitrary. Even then, you probably won't interview a week later. It is a stressful time in the season, but relax and know you will probably be fine this early.

Guys don't let the fast track bug you. It did me last year and like I said, it saves a week. You guys are all way ahead of the game and because you are so early, each one has a decent shot. Don't be bummed because you didn't get a fast track interview. Sometimes it seems arbitrary.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:

Same here... it's tough striking that balance between friendly reminder vs annoying nagging.

What I did was I would write to them giving them updates on how my applications were going. I wrote one when I was verified by AACOMAS then another one when I got my first secondary (KCOM). I would just give them updates on what you are doing and how everything is going and ask them how things are on their front.

Hope that helps a bit.

What I did was I would write to them giving them updates on how my applications were going. I wrote one when I was verified by AACOMAS then another one when I got my first secondary (KCOM). I would just give them updates on what you are doing and how everything is going and ask them how things are on their front.

Hope that helps a bit.
:thumbup:
This is such a good idea! I am waiting on one more LOR and he seems to feel that it's ok to operate on his own deadline. I totally appreciate the letter, but I don't appreciate being delayed in my application process. Driving me nuts! I'm going to try this out! Thank you for the suggestion!

I guess my stats weren't good enough for fastrack - 3.7/34. Little disappointed--it would have been nice to get an invite before my LORs are in, which looks like it might take a while.

:thumbup:
This is such a good idea! I am waiting on one more LOR and he seems to feel that it's ok to operate on his own deadline. I totally appreciate the letter, but I don't appreciate being delayed in my application process. Driving me nuts! I'm going to try this out! Thank you for the suggestion!

Exactly, I was in the same situation and I just e-mailed my professor telling her I was already being invited to complete a secondary application and that I need to turn in their letter to become complete. So I just asked when they thought they were going to be able to turn it in so I have an idea of when I will be able to turn my app in. I also explained that applications are in a rolling basis (first comes first serve) so that it was ideal for me to be complete as soon as possible. I honestly just gave them as much info as I possibly could. I feel it compels them to get it done rather than just a "hey are you done yet" e-mail.

Hope you get your letters in soon! I know they can be a pain!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys don't let the fast track bug you. It did me last year and like I said, it saves a week. You guys are all way ahead of the game and because you are so early, each one has a decent shot. Don't be bummed because you didn't get a fast track interview. Sometimes it seems arbitrary. Even then, you probably won't interview a week later. It is a stressful time in the season, but relax and know you will probably be fine this early.

Agreed. I think everyone will start getting interviews soon. We have a bunch of dates to choose from and from the relatively small amount of people saying they were invited I doubt it will be long before plenty non-fasttrack are invited. I don't think my stats are much better than anyone else's either and find it surprising I was invited. I'm guessing sGPA 3.7+ and MCAT 28+ got the invites.

I guess my stats weren't good enough for fastrack - 3.7/34. Little disappointed--it would have been nice to get an invite before my LORs are in, which looks like it might take a while.

WOW, Amazing stats! I am willing to bet you will end this cycle with multiple acceptances.:xf:

Holy crap dude your stats will get you multiple acceptances! Dont worry about a fast track interview hahaha

Just got an fast track Interview Invite! Scheduled for Friday, Sept 9th.

Stats: sGPA-3.8 cGPA-3.7 MCAT- 30Q
I submitted my secondary on 7/13, along with my LOR's. Got a conformation Email this morning about them receiving my secondary.

I had no clue about the fast track interviews, but I can't complain. Super Stoked!

Congrats to everyone who has interview invites so far! Like was said before... don't get too bummed about FastTrack. It's just something that DMU does to possibly get people acceptance letters early enough that they just decide to go there instead of scoping out other schools. :laugh: Not a bad tactic though, I suppose!

Hope to see y'all on campus next semester. I'll be the one wearing the neon green shirt with "Welcome SDN Interviewees!" glittered on the front and back.

Stok's going to wear a matching neon orange one.

You all are so far ahead of the game with everything verified and turned in. I did not have a fast track interview and still interviewed mid-September, with an acceptance 2 weeks to the day from my interview. Honestly, it is not something to worry about in the slightest.

Congrats to everyone who has interview invites so far! Like was said before... don't get too bummed about FastTrack. It's just something that DMU does to possibly get people acceptance letters early enough that they just decide to go there instead of scoping out other schools. :laugh: Not a bad tactic though, I suppose!

Hope to see y'all on campus next semester. I'll be the one wearing the neon green shirt with "Welcome SDN Interviewees!" glittered on the front and back.

Stok's going to wear a matching neon orange one.

I bet you'll look hot.

Win!! My DO LOR was uploaded to Interfolio today so I can finally stop worrying about that :) Such a huge relief!

Also am complete as of today. Got an email from them about not accepting one of my letters. Spoke with them on the phone and got it sorted out. Hopefully I can start to hear back now. Good luck everyone!

So excited about this interview. :soexcited: I think I've finally stopped bouncing up and down! Is it September yet??

No love for high MCAT scores. Only high GPAs. :(

got accepted with a 3.2/32. Based on what I've seen you post in the past, you are in the same boat as I was. You should be fine.

Got a 'your application is complete' email from DMU this morning! Hope I hear news about an interview soon. :) Or maybe I will just be rejected outright. :(

what's the best airline to fly to des moine from LA, CA?

what's the best airline to fly to des moine from LA, CA?

Most of the major airlines come into the Des Moines International Airport so it shouldn't be too bad to find a flight. Some of my relatives have used United before and been happy with that. There are quite a few hotels right near the airport and the airport is actually only a 10-15 minute drive from DMU. It's pretty small and pretty easy to get around.

Do you guys think i would need to rent a car? or does hotel provide free shuttles to the school? thx

Do you guys think i would need to rent a car? or does hotel provide free shuttles to the school? thx

I'm sure the hotel would pick you up from the airport, but I don't know that they would give you a ride to the school. They might - you would just want to call and check ahead of time.

If not, you could take a taxi and it honestly wouldn't be that bad as long as you scheduled it ahead of time and made sure to get there early - it would probably be cheaper than renting a car.

But there are a variety of moderately priced hotels around and I'm sure you could find one who would take you to school. I would recommend NOT staying downtown just because those hotels are going to be a lot more expensive. The hotels near the airport are probably your best bet (cheaper but not dirty) - and be sure to ask about a discount for interviewing at DMU - several of them do that!

Submitted secondary today. That was easy!

dsoz

Just received and submitted the secondary. If using interfolio or whatever through AACOMAS will my letters automatically end up there or do I need to do something additional?

Just received and submitted the secondary. If using interfolio or whatever through AACOMAS will my letters automatically end up there or do I need to do something additional?

AACOMAS doesn't do letters.. you need to get on Interfolio and specifically request that they send your letters to DMU (and whatever other DO schools you applied to).

i see.. i requested them from my pre-health committee at school and they had you select each school you wanted them sent to. I wonder if that works too?

i see.. i requested them from my pre-health committee at school and they had you select each school you wanted them sent to. I wonder if that works too?

Probably. My pre-health advisor was the one in charge of sending all my letters and so far they have been showing up just fine. I'd check with an advisor just to be sure. Last cycle a buddy of mine's letters didn't get sent out when she sent everyone else's. He only noticed when he wasn't getting any secondaries listed as complete. One call to the advisor and she realized her mistake! Ended up delaying his apps by about a month, but at least he still got it.
Long story short, call your advisor and check.

Has DMU's match list for 2012 been released yet? If so, could someone post it or a link to it? It is not shown on their website yet, and I would be very interested in seeing it.

Has DMU's match list for 2012 been released yet? If so, could someone post it or a link to it? It is not shown on their website yet, and I would be very interested in seeing it.

It hasn't been released. I thought it would have been out in May, but that didn't happen. You'll just have to check the website from time to time.

Got my DO LOR finally.... I will sending in the LORs shortly.... For details about the epic DO LOR wars see lecom-B thread....

Got my "complete" email today but it says they will wait til my new MCAT score comes back(Sep4th) to review my app. It says I could email them and have them review now but I was wondering if reviewing in Sept is still early enough to get an invite? I am an underdog with 3.2 GPA and 25(so far) on MCAT.

I remember reading somewhere that their usual class is made up of like 50-60% Iowans. Is this true?

I remember reading somewhere that their usual class is made up of like 50-60% Iowans. Is this true?

Our 2016 class has some people from Iowa, but I'd say at least 60% are from other places like Minnesota or Illinois.