Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a FasTrack invite!
My stats aren't that great, either. It's been a great surprise.

I'm wondering how many of these go out and about what % gets accepted after an interview?

would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, mine did

I know yours did :) I was asking thndrbrd because his stats are similar to mine and I was wondering if they had moved on to regular interview invites (I heard last year they did it like a week later).

Oh ok, sorry. I looked at last year's thread, and it seems like after the first round of invites went out, the subsequent rounds had a mix of regular and fast track. I'm not sure what they use as determinants for fast track vs. regular, because my GPAs are great but my MCAT isn't stellar. I think mine had more to do with having an advanced degree. But that's just speculation.

Oh ok, sorry. I looked at last year's thread, and it seems like after the first round of invites went out, the subsequent rounds had a mix of regular and fast track. I'm not sure what they use as determinants for fast track vs. regular, because my GPAs are great but my MCAT isn't stellar. I think mine had more to do with having an advanced degree. But that's just speculation.

Yeah it's hard to say what their reasoning is through all this :D

Congrats to all the people with invites already! And good luck to everyone still waiting. DMU is a great school!

Also, I just found this in the old DMU thread.

Total admissions data
3273 applied, 685 interviewed, 469 were accepted, 221 enrolled

In-state admissions data
203 applied, 116 interviewed, 84 were accepted, 65 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data
3070 applied, 569 interviewed, 385 were accepted, 156 enrolled

Women's admissions data
1500 applied, 309 interviewed, 227 were accepted, 115 enrolled

Minority admissions data
772 applied, 117 interviewed, 83 were accepted, 35 enrolled

International admissions data
79 applied, 19 interviewed, 14 were accepted, 4 enrolled

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully I will be getting my invite soon! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)

Shoot...Those are my stats! Did you get your invite last week like the others? Or did you get the invite recently?

Good luck!

Hmmm I have 3.59 and 29Q so hopefully mine is coming lol! I just became complete this week though :D

Did it specifically say Fast Track on the email?

This is why I said that fast track seems arbitrary. No worries. I was sweating bullets last year in the beginning because people with stats below mine were getting fast track but as I watched the thread and talked to people, there really isn't anything obvious to indicate any cutoffs for the fast track. Annoying yes, but don't worry about it.

This is why I said that fast track seems arbitrary. No worries. I was sweating bullets last year in the beginning because people with stats below mine were getting fast track but as I watched the thread and talked to people, there really isn't anything obvious to indicate any cutoffs for the fast track. Annoying yes, but don't worry about it.

Thanks... this whole process can be quite mysterious at times :rolleyes:

If it makes anyone feel better, I think we've had some serious waitlist movement for our class... either that, or people are just now discovering our fb group. But a few people have mentioned they recently got accepted, so don't kill yourself over not interviewing super early/being waitlisted. :)

And for the 60 days thing, World Changer is right... just don't bother them. DMU is really on top of things when it came to notifying people of invites/acceptances/rejections. They won't leave you hanging. ;)

It seems like they put all the top stats in a hat and draw out 50 and interview those. I hope they cut my piece abnormally large and strangely sticky....

I'm thinking I'll try to get there early the day before and do some exploring as well. I remember reading somewhere on here that the school and area is much nicer than the pictures show. Hope to be blown away by this school.... only if I get accepted of course.

Oh yeah and I stand by the sGPA 3.7+ and MCAT 28+ to be the criteria for fasttrack, seems to be true for everyone invited.

Ditto, getting there a day early. This school is already tied for the top in my list.

Ditto, getting there a day early. This school is already tied for the top in my list.

For me PCOM, DMU,CCOM and NYCOM are all on the same level. However with a 1200 fee to hold your seat that I can never get back. I think the first one to lock me into the traffic rules wins.

For me PCOM, DMU,CCOM and NYCOM are all on the same level. However with a 1200 fee to hold your seat that I can never get back. I think the first one to lock me into the traffic rules wins.

Same. If I'm accepted to both DMU and CCOM, it's going to be a challenge to decide. :)

Yeah CCOM and DMU are my top two. Should I be lucky enough to get acceptances from both, DMU's lower tuition may be a factor. Although this is all subject to change I'm sure when we visit on interviews and get a feel for the students/faculty/campus

All males that attend DMU are hung and all females are hot. Law of the land. If you get accepted to DMU, go there.

LOL! I love DMU and CCOM so far, but between the two I think DMU has a slight upper hand... hopefully my husband will agree. Distance from home is going to be a factor if I am lucky enough to have more than one acceptance. Not going to sweat it now, though. 6 weeks til my interview!

That's so exciting! Congratulations!!

I'm so frustrated because ONE LOR writer is holding up my entire process. I wish he'd hurry up! This is killing me!

SAME HERE. It makes me so angry! :mad:

For REAL! Just the committee letter... They said it'd be done by the end of this month. We'll see.

Never mind!! The last letter just came in! I am SO EXCITED!!! That was the very last piece of this. Now I can finally be complete!

I ended up getting a 28 R on the MCAT because I bombed stupid verbal (10P, 7V, 11B).
I hope I can get an interview here.

Never mind!! The last letter just came in! I am SO EXCITED!!! That was the very last piece of this. Now I can finally be complete!

I ended up getting a 28 R on the MCAT because I bombed stupid verbal (10P, 7V, 11B).

Girrrrl you got this!!!!!

Congrats on the MCAT! Verbal can be a royal pain!

Nice I'm the opposite I bombed physical sciences. I've always struggled with that section.

7P, 12V, 10B

Girrrrl you got this!!!!!

Congrats on the MCAT! Verbal can be a royal pain!

Aw thank you! What is up with Verbal? It was just so random! I learned more about being an stupid archeologist than reading comprehension.

Nice I'm the opposite I bombed physical sciences. I've always struggled with that section.

7P, 12V, 10B

Same here, I've always hated physical sciences.
Just hoping it's over now and I can just get into med school and never have to study physics ever again.

Ha I don't see why they won't interview you.... Let see who get an interview first you or me...game on girl... game on

Aw thank you! What is up with Verbal? It was just so random! I learned more about being an stupid archeologist than reading comprehension.

I feel like there is no great way to study for verbal. I didn't study for it at all and ended up getting a 10 and I know people who studied for it like crazy and did worse than I did. It's just kind of random. The first time I sat for the MCAT I thought the passages were a lot longer than the ones on the practice tests. The second time I was like, oh this is all so easy! I finished like 15 min early. I have no idea, it seems to be a crapshoot for everyone!

Congrats on your score anyways, it takes a lot of work to get a baller BS and PS like you did! :)