Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
found this on their webpage for anyone interested:
Class of 2016
Class size 221
Age The average age is 25; the range is between 20 and 43.
Gender 41% of the class is female; 59% is male.
Minority 22% are from diverse backgrounds.
Residence 22% of students are from Iowa while the remaining students represent 33 states.
Undergraduate degrees The most common undergraduate majors are biology and chemistry, however any major is considered for admission.
Academic performance The class of 2016 has a 3.66 average overall GPA and a 3.58 average science GPA.
MCAT The average MCAT score is 27.7 with a median writing sample of 0.
Experience All students have medically related experience emphasizing patient contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Experience All students have medically related experience emphasizing patient contact.

I'll toss in that in my interview they really liked that I TA'ed for 5 classes in undergrad. Dr. Mueller was one of my interviewers, and in the information session he talked about how he thinks that is an important part of learning. They have a lot of TA opportunities at DMU as well.

Hello applicants! I will be attending DMU this fall and am happy to answer any questions you may have about the application process/interview day/etc, as best I can. Good luck to you all this cycle!

Do I have a shot here?

3.68c/3.62s/25

Illinois resident

Good luck to everyone!

When I applied last year in early June, my MCAT score was a 25 and I got a "fast-track" interview in early July, before my MCAT retake. I'd say you have a shot if you apply early, so start working on that app! Good luck!

Lol babydoc you also had a near perfect gpa

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Hey everyone. Good to see fresh faces and new thread. I am also one of the incoming DMU students this fall, and having gone through the process I will be glad to answer any questions I can regarding application process.

Hey everyone. Good to see fresh faces and new thread. I am also one of the incoming DMU students this fall, and having gone through the process I will be glad to answer any questions I can regarding application process.

Do they have student hosts on interview weekends?

Do they have student hosts on interview weekends?

They did offer to host students, but interviews were not on weekends. I believe interview days were Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. (Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.)

I am SO excited to apply here. I am a little worried about my gpa, its not nearly as high as I wanted it to be (cgpa 3.55, sgpa 3.37), will a higher MCAT make up for that along with an early app?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am SO excited to apply here. I am a little worried about my gpa, its not nearly as high as I wanted it to be (cgpa 3.55, sgpa 3.37), will a higher MCAT make up for that along with an early app?

Yes sir, definitely. I got an interview and my stats were far below yours (but I didn't attend the interview because I was accepted to other schools I wanted more)

I have similar GPA's, it pretty much all rides on the MCAT huh? Well, I heard Des Moines is a great city, I was very interested in the pod school here.

The more I research DMU the more it interests me. What were some of the main things that appealed to you students here?
I have a 3.8/3.7 but am waiting to hear back about my MCAT.

The more I research DMU the more it interests me. What were some of the main things that appealed to you students here?
I have a 3.8/3.7 but am waiting to hear back about my MCAT.

Not really a current student, but I did just pick DMU over several other schools. First off, it has a great reputation and they been doing it for over 100 years. I know a current pod student and two DO grads and they raved about it. The interview day sold me though. The buildings were so nice. Modern, clean, had a homey feel to them. Lots of big chairs and other study spaces. The onsite gym is a big plus, too. Lecture halls were nice, but lecture halls are lecture halls really. Finally, although I got quite a few acceptances, DMU really made it feel like they wanted me. I don't know, just something about the people (Dr. Mueller was especially awesome).

I loved the community feel of the campus as a whole; students are encouraged to work together and help each other learn, instead of competing against other students. I loved that I could finish a MPH dual degree within the same four years. The Global Health department and Medical Humanities department were also major deciding factors for me. I am interested in the global health pathway and the WHO internship too, all of which other schools did not have. It was pretty easy to turn down my other acceptances. I absolutely fell in love with DMU on interview day and Second Look Day pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I have similar GPA's, it pretty much all rides on the MCAT huh? Well, I heard Des Moines is a great city, I was very interested in the pod school here.

What I loved about DMU is that they didn't seem to really focus on GPA/MCAT as heavily as other schools. They were really interested in my research, graduate work, other interesting aspects of my app besides just the stats.

In! 3.76 cgpa, 3.70 sgpa, 24 MCAT (retaking in Aug.)

I would be thrilled to get accepted here, and good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
I visited DMU back in December and did a visit with admissions. I was very impressed and really liked the campus. The Iowa surgical sim center was very impressive. I'll definitely be applying here this year

Hey everyone, I've been going to undergrad at a school <5 minutes away from DMU for the last three years and I'll be applying to DMU as soon as possible. I've spent a good amount of time touring/shadowing at DMU and have spoken with a number of current students, faculty, and recent alumni and have only ever heard positive comments about the school, the student body, the education, and the residency placements. I'll try to answer any questions about DMU (if I have any idea what the answers is) and especially any questions about Des Moines the city. Final note: I would absolutely suggest applying to DMU (even though I don't want the competition :p ) and heading there to take a tour / meet with an admissions coordinator.

How strict is their Biochem requirement? I did not take Biochem in undergrad, but I did take the course in Chiro school. I will call them Monday to ask, but I was curious if any of you all knew the answer or had experience with it.

Thanks!

If I can apply here, I will :)

I know my stats are low for DMU but I hope they give me a shot!
3.5c 3.4s 25mcat
ND resident

Don't lose hope, people! I got in with a significantly lower GPA than DMU's previous year average and a slightly higher than average MCAT (3.3/3.3/29). I'll chime in with answers to questions later when I have a real computer in front of me. Good luck 2018ers!

Do I have a shot at being accepted with a 3.71 GPA and a 25 MCAT

Last edited:
I ended up not applying due to the Biochem requirement. GL folks!

Do I have a shot at being accepted with a 3.48 sGPA, 3.71 cGPA, a 25 MCAT, and over 2500 hours of experience??

When I was applying, I didn't think I had a chance here. I really didn't think so even during my interview day. When I actually for the interview, my numbers were barely even brought up. They spent a wee bit o' time clearing up my red flags (first two yrs UG - I basically told them that I was a big slacker when I started college, which is true), but the rest felt like a friendly chat with some standard interview questions sprinkled in. Go with it and make sure you prep for your interview in the mean time. It's a really down to earth school. If you meet the prereqs, it's definitely worth applying.

When I was applying, I didn't think I had a chance here. I really didn't think so even during my interview day. When I actually for the interview, my numbers were barely even brought up. They spent a wee bit o' time clearing up my red flags (first two yrs UG - I basically told them that I was a big slacker when I started college, which is true), but the rest felt like a friendly chat with some standard interview questions sprinkled in. Go with it and make sure you prep for your interview in the mean time. It's a really down to earth school. If you meet the prereqs, it's definitely worth applying.

Did they accept you then? What were your stats? Sorry to be so nosy, it's just very stressful. Thanks for your response! :)

Last edited:
My stats are in just a few posts up this page. In sum, my GPA is way lower (imo) than the average for the DMU DO 2016ers, and my MCAT was 1.3 points higher. I pulled it off and am heading there this August.

My stats are in just a few posts up this page. In sum, my GPA is way lower (imo) than the average for the DMU DO 2016ers, and my MCAT was 1.3 points higher. I pulled it off and am heading there this August.

My stats are almost identical to yours. I did really poorly as a young'n, went back to school at 24 and carried a 3.7 overall if my earlier stuff is excluded, so I'm hoping for some of the same love you got! Thanks got sharing, your post makes me feel a lot better!

Thanks for sharing! Good luck in med school!

Would I still stand a chance with my stats? 3.77c, 3.70s, 24

What Babydoc said. Keep in mind the overall goal of them wanting to know you can survive med school. Did you take heavy (Cr Hrs) semesters? Lots of upper level sciences? Did you work a lot during UG? All of these points and many more are key points you can focus on to demonstrate your capability. With all that said, you might consider coming up with a way to explain (without making it sound too excuse-y) the MCAT. Any chance you'd be able to do better (>27) with a retake?

NP, Firemedic and Premed. Glad I can help in some way. I'll be around to answer the best way I can. Good to see Babydoc is here too. Definitely a well informed individual. =)

NP, Firemedic and Premed. Glad I can help in some way. I'll be around to answer the best way I can. Good to see Babydoc is here too. Definitely a well informed individual. =)

Hey thanks! A bunch of people helped me, just trying to pay it forward.

Good luck this season guys, and if there's anything I can help you with, just PM me. :)

Do admission committees look at UG work versus grad work? My UG is a 3.9, but it dropped after going to grad school for a year, which is why my sGPA is now 3.5. Do they even look at that?

Do admission committees look at UG work versus grad work? My UG is a 3.9, but it dropped after going to grad school for a year, which is why my sGPA is now 3.5. Do they even look at that?

It depends on how it fits into the story. What was your grad program in? What were your grades like (specifically) during grad school? I can't say how it will be perceived necessarily in any case, but ask yourself whether or not it contributes or can be made to at least accommodate a favorable answer to that question I discussed briefly earlier: "can this student get through medical school?"

Edit: it's 99% certain that they will consider it all. Read the above response as an answer to how the information regarding your grad performance may affect you.

Hey thanks! A bunch of people helped me, just trying to pay it forward.

Good luck this season guys, and if there's anything I can help you with, just PM me. :)

I'll go ahead and say thanks to you too. If I am paying it forward as you are, I'm paying forward help I got from you among many others. Also, you were right about the fb group. I finally broke and joined up. It's awesome to kinda get to know some of our classmates a bit before we dive in.

I'll go ahead and say thanks to you too. If I am paying it forward as you are, I'm paying forward help I got from you among many others. Also, you were right about the fb group. I finally broke and joined up. It's awesome to kinda get to know some of our classmates a bit before we dive in.

Actually, that has been the best part for me. I'm moving from a different state, and my husband won't be able to join me until after our first semester, so joining the FB group has helped me feel like I have friends there already, which has relieved some stress.

I believe so. I had completed a graduate degree before applying (although, not in science), and my grad GPA made my cGPA drop only slightly. My interviewers had nothing but nice things to say about my grad degree though, and I'm sure they'll look at both individually. I think you'll be fine.

Actually, that has been the best part for me. I'm moving from a different state, and my husband won't be able to join me until after our first semester, so joining the FB group has helped me feel like I have friends there already, which has relieved some stress.

I'm a big baby, lol. Gotta bring my girls (wife & daughter) with me right away. With that said, I know you can pull it off.

What Babydoc said. Keep in mind the overall goal of them wanting to know you can survive med school. Did you take heavy (Cr Hrs) semesters? Lots of upper level sciences? Did you work a lot during UG? All of these points and many more are key points you can focus on to demonstrate your capability. With all that said, you might consider coming up with a way to explain (without making it sound too excuse-y) the MCAT. Any chance you'd be able to do better (>27) with a retake?

Yes I'm positive I can do better when I retake in aug. but i would hope that as is i could still have a shot. I have what I believe to be strong ECs and PS, a year of research, I've worked all through school ~20 hrs a week, took 15-16 credit semesters the first couple years and 13-14 the last couple semesters. I'm a non BCMP major but took a few upper division bio courses I didnt need just for fun.

Yes I'm positive I can do better when I retake in aug. but i would hope that as is i could still have a shot. I have what I believe to be strong ECs and PS, a year of research, I've worked all through school ~20 hrs a week, took 15-16 credit semesters the first couple years and 13-14 the last couple semesters. I'm a non BCMP major but took a few upper division bio courses I didnt need just for fun.

Looks pretty well padded! How's the clinical and shadowing?