Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi all. I'm interviewing on the 30th, and would like some insight as to what to focus on. I have done my research on DMU and it is only one of 3 DO schools I applied to. Do they emphasize 'why DMU' or 'why DO' more?
both. if i interview people, i make sure both are thoroughly answered by the end, but usually the faculty interviews take care of that before i can ask.

Members don't see this ad.

So is anyone here planning on going to the second look day?

I will be. Plan on getting a better feel for the town and check out some apartment possibilities. Maybe catch a hockey game if I'm lucky and they are still playing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Haven't decided yet. Since they said the best time to look for housing was mid-May, I get the feeling that this is more of a day to persuade those with multiple acceptances to matriculate.

Haven't decided yet. Since they said the best time to look for housing was mid-May, I get the feeling that this is more of a day to persuade those with multiple acceptances to matriculate.

But I'll be there! :cool::cool::cool:

Haha I'm mostly doing it so mr. Tp and my parents can get idea of what the school has to offer.

AWW MAH GAWWWWWD! ACCEPTED!!!!! Interviewed 1/10/14!

Got accepted as well!! :) Interviewed 1/9/14!

AHHHHHH!!! got accepted! Praise the GOOD LORD!!! interviewed 1.9.14

congrats to everyone who has been accepted! If you haven't already feel free to join the facebook group :)

congrats to everyone who has been accepted! If you haven't already feel free to join the facebook group :)
What is the name of the facebook group??? I can only find the DMU facebook page. Congrats on being accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today too!!! My interviewers asked some questions I definitely was not prepared for, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Out of the 5 interviews I've been on, this one has made the best impression on me yet. I think I'll probably end up withdrawing my Nova invite.

Accepted today too!!! My interviewers asked some questions I definitely was not prepared for, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Out of the 5 interviews I've been on, this one has made the best impression on me yet. I think I'll probably end up withdrawing my Nova invite.
Do you mind sharing what questions they asked that you weren't prepared for?

Do you mind sharing what questions they asked that you weren't prepared for?

It was really specific to my application, such as asking me to reflect thoughtfully on aspects I'd never considered all that important.

Hi, do you mind sharing some reasons why DMU left a good impression? I don't know too much about the school and I'm debating if I should attend an interview there. Thanks!

Hi, do you mind sharing some reasons why DMU left a good impression? I don't know too much about the school and I'm debating if I should attend an interview there. Thanks!

Mostly the people to be honest. The students I met were really happy and seemed to have great support from the faculty. I was also more impressed by the facilities than other DO schools I interviewed at, and the estimated cost of attendance is actually cheaper than my state school (granted, my state school's tuition is one of the highest). Iowa may not be the most exciting place, but Des Moines seems like a safe and friendly city.

Mostly the people to be honest. The students I met were really happy and seemed to have great support from the faculty. I was also more impressed by the facilities than other DO schools I interviewed at, and the estimated cost of attendance is actually cheaper than my state school (granted, my state school's tuition is one of the highest). Iowa may not be the most exciting place, but Des Moines seems like a safe and friendly city.

Is there any diversity at DMU or in Des Moines? Thanks

Racial diversity seemed pretty minimal if that's what you mean. However, I'm not the one to ask. I'm not from the midwest, and I spent less than 24 hours in the city.

There is a pretty large LGBT community in Des Moines. I can't really speak so much to racial diversity TBH because that all kinda depends on what you are comparing it to.

Joined the fb group finally a bit ago. Browsing through, I couldn't help but notice the super high M/F ratio. Good thing Touch is equivalent to 4 awesome females.

Joined the fb group finally a bit ago. Browsing through, I couldn't help but notice the super high M/F ratio. Good thing Touch is equivalent to 4 awesome females.

Good thing right? Lol I noticed that to :confused:

Sidenote this means I figured out who you are! Mwhaha

Damn, I just got a preinterview rejection email lol. 3.68c 3.72s 29mcat feelsbadman:arghh:

Damn, I just got a preinterview rejection email lol. 3.68c 3.72s 29mcat feelsbadman:arghh:

wow..I'm really surprised ..we have pretty much the same stats ..I guess DMU really does look beyond stats..

Any idea how full the class is? Also, when are the last rounds of interviews?

Received my acceptance letter today!!!! Interviewed 1/23. I LOVED DMU but am still waiting to hear back from one other school. I will make my decision then. Anybody else hear back who interviewed on 1/23?

I just received my acceptance today as well!!! I'm definitely going with DMU. Interviewed on 1/23.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance to dmu today, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear, dmu is an amazing school!

Is there anything we can do in The Pulse now or are things coming available in the spring?

Thanks.

Has anyone actually come off of DMU's hold? Haha I feel like they may have silently rejected me tbh.

I called and apparently they said they will be reviewing applications on hold next month. Apparently DMU has a really long cycle or something..

This wait is making me sick. I had multiple dreams last night about getting the email from DMU, some of them I was accepted and others rejected. I think I'm going insane....

Gotta find things to occupy your time, read a book, get some exercise in,

This wait is making me sick. I had multiple dreams last night about getting the email from DMU, some of them I was accepted and others rejected. I think I'm going insane....

Sorry, accidentally replied too quickly.
Pick a tv show to immerse yourself in, Game of Thrones if you're into that, or if you want to laugh your *** off, I would strongly suggest The League. Something non-medically related is best. Sons of Anarchy if you're thinking about investing in a motorcycle. Haha.

Reactions: 1 users