Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, accidentally replied too quickly.
Pick a tv show to immerse yourself in, Game of Thrones if you're into that, or if you want to laugh your *** off, I would strongly suggest The League. Something non-medically related is best. Sons of Anarchy if you're thinking about investing in a motorcycle. Haha.

HA! Totally agree. Netflix + choice of alcoholic beverage has been the greatest mind detox over the past 6 months. Both in moderation, of course... :heckyeah::vomit:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything we can do in The Pulse now or are things coming available in the spring?

Thanks.

You can electronically sign the technical standards and there's an announcement about how to send official transcripts in. Otherwise stuff like financial aid info and immunization info will be coming later.

ACCEPTED!!!!!! Words cannot express how excited I am to attend this school! Can't wait to see everyone this fall, and good luck to those still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!!! Words cannot express how excited I am to attend this school! Can't wait to see everyone this fall, and good luck to those still waiting to hear back.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!! When did you interview!?

Congrats! I was accepted from the same interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed last Thursday and heard back on Monday, ACCEPTED!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. I have a question for current DMU students with respect to curriculum style. I am debating if I should come here or attend KCUMB. Do you feel like the traditional curriculum here at DMU makes it harder to learn than a system based curriculum would be for the first two years (like at KCUMB)? I feel like learning systems together would be more interesting (and makes more logical sense) to learn than individual science courses, however I do not have personal experience with either curriculums. In addition, asides from medical students and podiatry students do other professional schools attend the same courses? I feel that having different programs sitting in for the same courses could cause the material to be less specific to medicine, but that is just a thought. Thanks!

ACCEPTED. Interviewed 2/17. Accepted 2/24. *Throws talcum powder*

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. I have a question for current DMU students with respect to curriculum style. I am debating if I should come here or attend KCUMB. Do you feel like the traditional curriculum here at DMU makes it harder to learn than a system based curriculum would be for the first two years (like at KCUMB)? I feel like learning systems together would be more interesting (and makes more logical sense) to learn than individual science courses, however I do not have personal experience with either curriculums. In addition, asides from medical students and podiatry students do other professional schools attend the same courses? I feel that having different programs sitting in for the same courses could cause the material to be less specific to medicine, but that is just a thought. Thanks!

First year is traditional, and second year is systems based. So it isn't completely accurate to say it is all traditional. As for the genesis curriculum, I don't know because I haven't seen it, but I love the way the curriculum is now. I also know that KCUMB's curriculum sounded awesome. First year, all the hard sciences are done with podiatrists. If you are worried about having less focus on medicine, it is actually the other way around and the there is less focus for the pods. Second year is shared for a few classes with the PA program, and pharm is PA, pods, and DOs together, but again, it is more of a medical focus. In addition, the PAs are only with you for a few classes. They are in renal with us now and I think it is the third one. I haven't seen the pods past pharm which is the first class you take second year. But again, the DO class is some 220, the PA and DPM classes are about 50 so all shared classes are given with a DO focus.

Reactions: 1 users
Got in today. So elated as I loved the school and it would be a definite good fit for me-- I tend to get stressed easily and the students/faculty constantly mentioned how having such a friendly student body that wants to help each other out makes the coursework rigor rather easily dealt with.

One more interview coming up but DMU gained MAJOR points from actually going there. Also, Des Moines is a bada$$ city. Is there a facebook group up yet? A little to lazy to sift through all the comments.

Got in today. So elated as I loved the school and it would be a definite good fit for me-- I tend to get stressed easily and the students/faculty constantly mentioned how having such a friendly student body that wants to help each other out makes the coursework rigor rather easily dealt with.

One more interview coming up but DMU gained MAJOR points from actually going there. Also, Des Moines is a bada$$ city. Is there a facebook group up yet? A little to lazy to sift through all the comments.
Yup
DMU DO Class of 2018

Just got an II yesterday, pretty excited!I'm wondering where can I find the contact information of the student hosts, thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II yesterday, pretty excited!I'm wondering where can I find the contact information of the student hosts, thank you!

Congrats on the interview! I looked through all my emails and couldn't find any info for student hosts, just links to nearby hotels. You may just want to email the admissions office and ask them. Good luck!

Congrats on the interview! I looked through all my emails and couldn't find any info for student hosts, just links to nearby hotels. You may just want to email the admissions office and ask them. Good luck!
I'm thinking the same thing! Thank you!

Is there anyone having the interview on 3/10 , PM me please , thank you!

Just interviewed today, 2/27. Does anyone know what days of the week decision emails have been going out? Nervous but excited to find out my fate. I loved the school! Currently my top choice.

Just interviewed today, 2/27. Does anyone know what days of the week decision emails have been going out? Nervous but excited to find out my fate. I loved the school! Currently my top choice.

Mondays and Thursdays I believe

Awwww whattup Deadmau5 fan?!

Interviewed 2/27, accepted this morning, 3/3. OOS, 3.29 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA, 3.85 graduate GPA (Public Health). 33 MCAT.

Whew. feelsgoodman.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed 2/27, accepted this morning, 3/3. OOS, 3.29 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA, 3.85 graduate GPA (Public Health). 33 MCAT.

Whew. feelsgoodman.jpg
Big congrats!it seem like they get back to you after interview fairly quick compare to most other schools

Big congrats!it seem like they get back to you after interview fairly quick compare to most other schools

Thanks! I've spent a lot of time reading posts in this thread, and I was impressed to see that many people had gotten the email in a week or two. Four days is a very pleasant and welcome surprise. I was definitely not expecting it.

Typically very fast. I got mine in 5 days last year. Good luck to all incoming interviewees!

Reactions: 1 users
Any incoming OMS-1's apply for the mentored research program?

Also got accepted 3/3 from the 2/27 interview with similar stats (OOS, somewhere around 3.4 cGPA, 3.6sGPA, 32 MCAT). Who were you (as vaguely descriptive as you want to be)?! I think I remember a couple of people saying they were from Missouri...

Congratulations! I was the guy who talked about meeting celebrities in our introductory session (sitting in the back left corner of the room). What about you?

Last edited:
Sweet, I remember you! I'm the guy from Colorado who talked about research & reading a lot of books really fast, probably 5-6 seats to your right.

Ah, speed reader! Do you know for sure whether you'll be joining the DMU class of 2018?

Ah, speed reader! Do you know for sure whether you'll be joining the DMU class of 2018?
I'm holding out for the "1 in a billion" interview from my top reach school (friend got an interview and accepted all the way in April a couple of years ago from there), but barring that I'm pretty sure I will be! Very excited.

Anyone get a financial aid package from DMU yet?

I was interviewed last Monday havent heard back from them yet.:eyebrow:

I was at school yesterday and didn't see any life in the admissions office. Possibly a delay due to break. Hopefully not though. In the mean, wishing you all luck.

I interviewed last Monday and received the email informing me I was placed on the alternate list yesterday.

I interviewed last Monday and received the email informing me I was placed on the alternate list yesterday.
So we interviewed together then. Wondering what I should be expecting. It might not be the ideal scenario, but there's still a big chance that you will get in. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Hope the cycle is going well for you all. I'm applying next cycle, what's my shot at an interview with a 27/3.5-3.65? Average/good ECs and LORs, DO shadowing.

Hope the cycle is going well for you all. I'm applying next cycle, what's my shot at an interview with a 27/3.5-3.65? Average/good ECs and LORs, DO shadowing.

I'd say there's a lot more depth to consider within those categories to properly chance you, but I got in with 3.47 (aacomas)/29.

Last edited:

What do you have for clinical experience?

The average stats are 28.2 MCAT, 3.68 gpa I believe

What do you have for clinical experience?

The average stats are 28.2 MCAT, 3.68 gpa I believe

I have over a year in hospital volunteer experience, and have shadowed between a hospital and family practice (~50 hrs). Will be applying early so I hope to at least get a shot at an interview here (definitely top choice for me).

I have over a year in hospital volunteer experience, and have shadowed between a hospital and family practice (~50 hrs). Will be applying early so I hope to at least get a shot at an interview here (definitely top choice for me).

Try to obtain a leadership position and volunteer outside of health related activities if you can.

Placed on the Alternate List Friday, Mar 21. Stats: 3.8 Cumulative GPA, 26R MCAT, interview 3/13.
Anyone know if this sentence from the email means I'm in the 1st quartile?
"Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available."