Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone from last thursday's interview heard back? (3/13)
Also, being as vague as you choose to be, which one were you btw? I was the one who talked about her puppy-child (sorry you had to endure my spazzing out) in the getting to know the other interviewees portion....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Placed on the Alternate list today! Interview 3/10. OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To my fellow males attending second look day: what are you wearing? I'm really not sure what to do in terms of attire. Jeans? Khakis? Polo? Shirt and tie?

Last year I wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt representing my UG football team. I received no complaints. I'll quote a classmate of mine who addressed a similar concern on the FB group page for your class.

"I think the main idea is that you're actually wearing something, unless you want to test whether the admissions offer can be revoked for exhibitionism."

Reactions: 2 users
To my fellow males attending second look day: what are you wearing? I'm really not sure what to do in terms of attire. Jeans? Khakis? Polo? Shirt and tie?
Think about if you show up wearing jeans and a T-shirt while everyone else is wearing khakis and a collared shirt. Then think about showing up in khakis and collared shirt while everyone else is wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Which situation would feel more awkward? You've got bigger problems if you're having trouble dressing yourself.

Suit up boys. Bow tie and pocket squares.

Honestly. I think id feel equally uncomfortable in either situation. Lol.

Honestly. I think id feel equally uncomfortable in either situation. Lol.
Haha me too. Being not appropriately dressed is an irrational fear of mine

In the car on the way to Iowa right now for second look day!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the 3rd and 4th year rotations here at DMU? I'd really like to get much more info on this topic. Thanks!

What are your questions?
I'd like to know the list of rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year. I'd also like to know anyone's experience with them, your impressions etc... Also, any other general information you would be willing to share. Thanks.!

I'd like to know the list of rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year. I'd also like to know anyone's experience with them, your impressions etc... Also, any other general information you would be willing to share. Thanks.!

3rd year sites are subject to change but for next years rotations the sites included year long rotations in: florida, illinois, iowa, michigan, minnesota, missouri, and ohio. There are also non-year long rotations where you travel to varying clinics around iowa (within 2 hours of DMU I think, but could be wrong) that include some possible out of state sites. You also have the choice of setting up rotations at other sites of your choice if you get it cleared through the school.

My husband matched to a year long site here in Des Moines for next year. I know very little about 4th year rotations right now but am getting anxious to start researching sites for audition rotations.

Last edited:
How difficult is it to get the year long site in Des Moines? Is it based on grades?

I would be okay with doing stuff around Iowa if the year long didn't work out but it would kinda suck.

How difficult is it to get the year long site in Des Moines? Is it based on grades?

I would be okay with doing stuff around Iowa if the year long didn't work out but it would kinda suck.

Difficulty depends on your classmates and where they want to go. Sites are selected through a lottery process where everyone ranks their top 6 picks and the computer analyzes where you will go. I believe they quote ~93% get one of their top 3 sites.

The driving for the non-year long sites may suck but many enjoy being able to view the differences in clinics and sometimes receive more hands on time than larger year long hospital sites.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else having fun with these health and immunization requirements? My hep B titer came back negative hooray :/

Anyone else having fun with these health and immunization requirements? My hep B titer came back negative hooray :/

I had to get the second varicella (apparently my mom just forgot to make sure I had both as a kid ) and it swole up at the injection site. I was not pleased.

me had to get the second varicella (apparently my mom just forgot to make sure me had both as a kid ) and it swole up at the injection site. me was not pleased.
I got to have the real deal pretty badly when I was about five so that thing came back positive as hell. I feel for you though. Between having to redo titers and get two TB tests I wonder if my clinic will give me a frequent flyer card.

me got to have the real deal pretty badly when me was about five so that thing came back positive as hell. me feel for you though. Between having to redo titers and get two TB tests me wonder if my clinic will give me a frequent flyer card.

Yeah the 2 TB test thing sucksss. The nurse told me it better not show up positive because the meds you have to take for it make you feel like absolutely shet.

Yeah the 2 TB test thing sucksss. The nurse told me it better not show up positive because the meds you have to take for it make you feel like absolutely shet.
I've never had a positive one and I lived in CO for five years which is where they send people with TB to get some fresh air so now the state has a high prevalence of TB. What do the meds do that make you feel so bad?

me've never had a positive one and me lived in CO for five years which is where they send people with TB to get some fresh air so now the state has a high prevalence of TB. What do the meds do that make you feel so bad?
She just said they make you tired and ****. :shrug:

Guise I paid my final deposit today.
Aw yeah

Reactions: 1 users
She just said they make you tired and ****. :shrug:

If you guys are coming up positive with the Tb skin test, there is a blood test available that's also acceptable. The scale for a positive skin test is adjusted for clinical staff (<10mm induration = negative that case, iirc), but that wasn't accounted for in my initial reading, hence, it was recorded as positive. The blood test shed light on the matter (came back negative). A $200 blood test beats the hell out of a 6 month series of antibiotics.

I'll keep that in mind if it does come back positive. I've never had a positive test before but you never know

If you guys are coming up positive with the Tb skin test, there is a blood test available that's also acceptable. The scale for a positive skin test is adjusted for clinical staff (<10mm induration = negative that case, iirc), but that wasn't accounted for in my initial reading, hence, it was recorded as positive. The blood test shed light on the matter (came back negative). A $200 blood test beats the hell out of a 6 month series of antibiotics.

I've had the opposite experience - I had a positive blood test (the TB gold test), but my recheck skin test and every skin test I've had since then has been completely negative.

I've had the opposite experience - I had a positive blood test (the TB gold test), but my recheck skin test and every skin test I've had since then has been completely negative.

That's odd. The quantiferon gold test is supposed to have a really high (>99%) specificity, albeit, not perfect. Did you, by chance, re-check the blood?

That's odd. The quantiferon gold test is supposed to have a really high (>99%) specificity, albeit, not perfect. Did you, by chance, re-check the blood?

I never did. When I got the results back I was told to get a re-check and just went with skin test. I've had 3 skin tests since then that showed zero reaction whatsoever, so I'm pretty sure I don't have TB! Haha.

I feel like I should volunteer to teach all you guys how to drive in snow

Maybe we can have a clinic day for the Southerners.
It snowed here this past Monday in Connecticut! I know it's April already! And I was driving a mustang in the snow trying to get to my interview for my in state school! So I think I can be a good teacher for driving in the snow lol

Last edited:
Just withdrew my name from the alt list....kinda sad about it because now it is for sure I'm moving to Kansas City....which is great, but I'm going to miss Des Moines.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I should volunteer to teach all you guys how to drive in snow

Haha. I also like front wheel for winter driving. I've only had one 4wd car and I didn't ever use the 4wd option. :)

Most people that get non year long have been mostly in Des Moines, with maybe 1 out of state rotation (usually OB/Gyn) and/or 1 in a more rural area. Many of these rural sites provide housing and are relatively close. It's really not that bad, especially if you are single and don't have to worry about being away from family. Even those with family have made it work.