Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome! Use that to your advantage as much as you can. I had similar numbers to you, but I think my E.C.'s were the difference maker.
Thank you for the encouragement!
I have lots of volunteering and EC's too, so let's hope it all works out! You got accepted then, I take it?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the encouragement!
I have lots of volunteering and EC's too, so let's hope it all works out! You got accepted then, I take it?

Yes I was accepted. Very very excited to be attending DMU starting this fall. DMU looks very favorably on volunteering and EC's from what I've seen and they aren't just all numbers despite having the high average stats that they do. Good luck this cycle!

Yes I was accepted. Very very excited to be attending DMU starting this fall. DMU looks very favorably on volunteering and EC's from what I've seen and they aren't just all numbers despite having the high average stats that they do. Good luck this cycle!
Congratulations! Very happy for you!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Good luck with your first year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance email this morning, however Im accepted somewhere else so declined the offer , but DMU was def one of my favorite choices!
P.S. I think I was in the higher ranking on the alternative list. So hopefully there will be more movements on the waitlist now. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got the acceptance email this morning, however Im accepted somewhere else so declined the offer , but DMU was def one of my favorite choices!
P.S. I think I was in the higher ranking on the alternative list since I got a waitlist with a guaranteed spot for next year. So hopefully there will be more movements on the waitlist now. Good luck everyone!
Congrats! Quick q - What exactly do you mean by"waitlist with a guaranteed spot for next year" ??

Quick question....a friend of mine just got her MCAT score back. She got a sub 8 PS score but her overall score was a 27....
She is considering retaking but is nervous about it as she was told DMU averages the scores???? Is this accurate? I didn't think they did that. I know they can see them both but don't they only consider your highest??

Quick question....a friend of mine just got her MCAT score back. She got a sub 8 PS score but her overall score was a 27....
She is considering retaking but is nervous about it as she was told DMU averages the scores???? Is this accurate? I didn't think they did that. I know they can see them both but don't they only consider your highest??

I was accepted with a 27 and I had a 7 in PS. I wouldn't retake if I was your friend as long as the rest of her application is solid with solid GPA's.

Also would like to add that having a lower second score could hinder her chances elsewhere. (Speaking from personal experience)

Has anyone been accepted from the wait list or heard of any movement lately?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone in the first quartile still waiting to hear about the wait list?

I'm in the first quartile... Still anxiously waiting.

same...in the first quartile and waiting...does anyone know if it moved after that initial email she sent a couple weeks ago?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get their financial aid award letter yet?

sorry to bring the topic back to the waitlist but do you guys think we are ranked individually within the quartiles? or what is the process for selection once a spot opens?

sorry to bring the topic back to the waitlist but do you guys think we are ranked individually within the quartiles? or what is the process for selection once a spot opens?

I would assume that they have an organized list. Because they call that immediate day once a spot is open. I know it's fast paced once a spot is open so I'd assume they have an organized list but I'm not completely sure.

I know some people have received theirs already, but I have not...so at least that makes two of us!
I just decided to go here, and looking to share an apartment within walking distance. Please let me know if you have an apartment and are looking for a male roommate, or don't have an apartment and we could find one.

Does anyone know how many people they've accepted from the first quartile?

Yep. I'm in the first quartile, so I'm hoping there's more movement!
I know they have gone through the first two quartiles the past two years at least. I wonder why the list is going so slow this year. Were you accepted anywhere else?

I know they have gone through the first two quartiles the past two years at least. I wonder why the list is going so slow this year. Were you accepted anywhere else?
First TWO quartiles??? I have a shot?
448.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
No :/ so I'm really hoping this works out! If not, I'm going to do an MA Biomedical Sciences program this fall and then reapply....

No :/ so I'm really hoping this works out! If not, I'm going to do an MA Biomedical Sciences program this fall and then reapply....
Did you apply to the one at DMU? Are we allowed to apply to that one and submit a DO app as well?

Did you apply to the one at DMU? Are we allowed to apply to that one and submit a DO app as well?
I'm not sure. I applied to Midwestern Universty - Downers Grove and got in there, so that's my backup as of right now!

I'm on the first quartile as well still waiting. I look at this thread about 4x/day hoping to see movement.

Just got accepted today! On my birthday! I was in the first quartile. Good luck to those still waiting! There's still hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got accepted today! On my birthday! I was in the first quartile. Good luck to those still waiting! There's still hope!
Congrats! No chance they said how many were left in the first Q still, did they?

I was accepted from the 1st quartile of the wait list on Wednesday of last week! So they are still making their way through the 1st quartile, there is still hope!

I was accepted off the alternate list tonight, so hopefully they are still making their way through!

I was accepted off the alternate list tonight, so hopefully they are still making their way through!
Hope your Masters Program wasn't too hurt by the happy news! :)

Edit: I think with about 6 days left for orientation, the game is over for this cycle. Congratulations to all who got in!! I wish you the best of luck in your careers. You're going to be doctors!!!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Is anyone in the first quartile still waiting to hear?