Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In! Bachelors 2013, MCAT 26 R, cGPA 3.81. Second quartile applying last minute last year. Let's see if it can happen this year!

Reactions: 1 user
What are my chances with a 3.48 sGPA, 3.68 cGPA and a 26 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's do this thing. So pumped to have submitted my app today

Just wondering what you guys think my chances are of either DO or MD acceptance. Thinking DMU is my top choice...

GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 28
Shadowing: 25 with MD. 25 DO. 10 from Podiatrist
Volunteering: ~100 Hours in ER/OR; Spent a week in Costa Rica on a service trip; 20-25 Hours of local disaster relief; 80 Hours CNA training; 20 Hours of Hospice Volunteer work
Thanks guys! :chicken:

I'm looking at DO schools, and DMU is definitely one of the ones I'd like to go.
From Iowa, have plenty of clinical hours as a CNA
MCAT: 26/ GPA: 3.83/ Science GPA: slightly > 3.83
Good chances here? I'm considering retaking the MCAT, but my fear is that I will do worse than a 26 and screw myself over. Advice?

Got the acceptance email this morning, however Im accepted somewhere else so declined the offer , but DMU was def one of my favorite choices!
P.S. I think I was in the higher ranking on the alternative list since I got a waitlist with a guaranteed spot for next year. So hopefully there will be more movements of the waitlist now. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Got the acceptance email this morning, however Im accepted somewhere else so declined the offer , but DMU was def one of my favorite choices!
P.S. I think I was in the higher ranking on the alternative list since I got a waitlist with a guaranteed spot for next year. So hopefully there will be more movements of the waitlist now. Good luck everyone!
Congrats! But, I think you meant to post in the 2013-2014 DMU-COM thread lol.

Can anyone comment on the city of Des Moines?

Can anyone comment on the city of Des Moines?

I can say generally Des Moines is pretty nice. It has things to do: art center, science center, civic center (theatre and such), the arena where concerts and other events happen.
There is a pretty great farmer's market every summer; you don't have to live downtown as it's pretty much 20 minutes to everywhere from anywhere. It's a pretty compact city.

People are generally nice. We don't have mega diversity (it is iowa....) but there is some.

We just got a lifetime athletic center in WDM. We have running groups and the Dsm marathon, the color run, other charity walks and events throughout the year.

There are a few sports teams: arena football, hockey, I think there's still a basketball team.....

Let me know if you want to know something else....I've grown up in Iowa and lived in Dsm for about 9 of those years.

Applied here OOS. *fingers crossed*

Just wondering what you guys think my chances are of either DO or MD acceptance. Thinking DMU is my top choice...

GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 28
Shadowing: 25 with MD. 25 DO. 10 from Podiatrist
Volunteering: ~100 Hours in ER/OR; Spent a week in Costa Rica on a service trip; 20-25 Hours of local disaster relief; 80 Hours CNA training; 20 Hours of Hospice Volunteer work
Thanks guys! :chicken:

I'm looking at DO schools, and DMU is definitely one of the ones I'd like to go.
From Iowa, have plenty of clinical hours as a CNA
MCAT: 26/ GPA: 3.83/ Science GPA: slightly > 3.83
Good chances here? I'm considering retaking the MCAT, but my fear is that I will do worse than a 26 and screw myself over. Advice?

Last year I applied (in Aug 2013) with a sGPA 3.98/cGPA 3.51 and a 26R; received a secondary invite and ultimately an acceptance. Both of your apps look great. Be sure to answer DMU's secondary carefully, and prepare well for the interview. I was asked the three usual questions: "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" "Why DMU?" and "Why you (me)?".

The facilities at DMU are amazing. They have a surgical skills lab, to help you prepare for your surgical rotations, and an awesome standardized patient lab (SPAL). All of which are shown to you on your interview day. DMU even has underground tunnels which allow you to travel between buildings without having to deal with bad weather. Check out DMU's 2013-2014 thread for more information on interview day and for other WAMC's info.

Good luck!!! :)

Edit: I applied as an OOS.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I applied (in Aug 2013) with a sGPA 3.98/cGPA 3.51 and a 26R; received a secondary invite and ultimately an acceptance. Both of your apps look great. Be sure to answer DMU's secondary carefully, and prepare well for the interview. I was asked the three usual questions: "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" "Why DMU?" and "Why you (me)?".

The facilities at DMU are amazing. They have a surgical skills lab, to help you prepare for your surgical rotations, and an awesome standardized patient lab (SPAL). All of which are shown to you on your interview day. DMU even has underground tunnels which allow you to travel between buildings without having to deal with bad weather. Check out DMU's 2013-2014 thread for more information on interview day and for other WAMC's info.

Can you comment as to when secondaries started being sent out from DMU last cycle? Thanks!

Just wondering if you think I have a shot with 3.6cGPA, 3.48sGPA, 26 MCAT, and >4000+ hours of CNA work? I'm nervous!

Just wondering if you think I have a shot with 3.6cGPA, 3.48sGPA, 26 MCAT, and >4000+ hours of CNA work? I'm nervous!

I was accepted this past cycle with a 27 MCAT, 3.4 cum and 3.2 science. I also worked 1.5 years full time as a CNA for mentally and physically disabled individuals. Don't be nervous

Can you comment as to when secondaries started being sent out from DMU last cycle? Thanks!

I believe DMU will be sending out secondaries soon, if they haven't already done so. I received secondaries from DMU two weeks from when I submitted my primary. There's a thread listing each school's secondary prompts (if any); I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find it. If you need a timeline of my application process for DMU, just let me know.

I was accepted this past cycle with a 27 MCAT, 3.4 cum and 3.2 science. I also worked 1.5 years full time as a CNA for mentally and physically disabled individuals. Don't be nervous

Yes, premed199088, don't be nervous. This has been mentioned a lot across the forums -- apply early and broadly, and be sure to answer DMU's secondary questions well. Your app looks fine. Good luck!!! :)

Anyone know where you can find the secondary essay prompts?

Anyone know where you can find the secondary essay prompts?

Describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to include how it impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others.

Describe any clinical exposure you have had with a primary care physician (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, or OBGYN).

These were on last years secondary prompts, they are short answer questions (100-300 words-ish I think), not necessarily essays. I believe there was also an area for a "Please tell us anything else we should know that isn't included in your application" area.

Reactions: 1 users
Describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to include how it impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others.

Describe any clinical exposure you have had with a primary care physician (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, or OBGYN).

These were on last years secondary prompts, they are short answer questions (100-300 words-ish I think), not necessarily essays. I believe there was also an area for a "Please tell us anything else we should know that isn't included in your application" area.

Are you sure..... Below is a quote of the prompts from DMU's thread from last cycle....

* Have you had exposure to a D.O.?
If so, describe your clinical experience with an Osteopathic Physician?

* Describe any clinical exposure you have had with a physician in a rural practice (population of less than 15,000)

* Describe any clinical exposure you have had with a primary care physician (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, or OBGYN).

* Do you fluently speak any languages other than English?
If yes, please list language(s)

* Do you have research experience?
If yes, briefly describe the type of research experience and any measurable outcomes (presentations, publications, etc.).

If yes, briefly describe the type of research experience and any measurable outcomes (presentations, publications, etc.). (900 word limit)

Is there anything since you submitted your primary application that you would like included in your file?

Are you sure..... Below is a quote of the prompts from DMU's thread from last cycle....
Go with that one. I filled out that secondary almost a year ago now so my memory is quite fuzzy of the questions and I didn't save my answers to every one of them for DMU I guess. But I hadn't shadowed a DO, nor did I have research at the time that I could write about significantly.

But I don't remember the secondary being all that extensive.

I believe DMU will be sending out secondaries soon, if they haven't already done so. I received secondaries from DMU two weeks from when I submitted my primary. There's a thread listing each school's secondary prompts (if any); I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find it. If you need a timeline of my application process for DMU, just let me know.

Yes, premed199088, don't be nervous. This has been mentioned a lot across the forums -- apply early and broadly, and be sure to answer DMU's secondary questions well. Your app looks fine. Good luck!!! :)
I just saw this, thank you so much for your encouragement! :)

Secondary received just now! There is a tell us any additional information question (100 words),
Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)
If yes, briefly describe the type of research experience and any measurable outcomes (presentations, publications, etc.) (no limit posted).
Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others. (500 word limit)

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, very similar to my current application, I am a 26 MCAT 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA and have worked as a CNA full time for 1.5 years too! I hope this is a good sign.

So I just started doing this secondary and I have no idea what to put for my research experience. I talked about it pretty well on my primary. Should I just copy and paste/rephrase? What is everyone else going to do?

Do secondaries come out only once a week? I submitted my primary the first day I was able to and haven't gotten one yet.

Do secondaries come out only once a week? I submitted my primary the first day I was able to and haven't gotten one yet.

I'm in the exact same position. I've been in the first or very close to first waves of secondaries for all the other schools I've applied to and this (so far) is the only school (that is sending out secondaries) that hasn't sent me one yet.

I'm in the exact same position. I've been in the first or very close to first waves of secondaries for all the other schools I've applied to and this (so far) is the only school (that is sending out secondaries) that hasn't sent me one yet.
I know other schools, like Marian, send out secondaries at different times depending on the work load of the admissions person. Let's hope that's the same case. I assume they'll send out secondaries to anyone who has above the minimum requirements. Just testing our patience, I guess! :)

Everything is awesome! Just received my secondary.

secondary received yesterday! it costs $60 fyi and it arrived close to 5pm local time

good luck everyone!

secondary received yesterday! it costs $60 fyi and it arrived close to 5pm local time

good luck everyone!

That username

606-fry-meme.png

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone just curious about my chances here? 3.66 cGPA 3.67 sGPA, 26 MCAT, 4.0 gGPA Thesis Master's in Biochemistry with two years of teaching experience as a chemistry GTA, 4 years of research: 3 in Biochemistry and 1 in O chem synthesis. Tons of Upper level science courses, lots of primary care volunteering and about 100+ hours at a free clinic. Plenty of outside non-med volunteering. Any help is appreciated :)

I'm applying here. Good luck everyone!

@NiAnWa, I think you have a great shot here! Your GPA and experiences can definitely compensate for your slightly below DMU's average MCAT! My stats are a bit lower than yours so DMU will be a reach school for me. Good luck!

Why do they have to ask about past applications -_-
Have you ever applied to medical school? WHY?!?!
I never applied to DO schools in the past, just to MD schools. So I guess I have to release this info right?sjkdhukihdajiad

Why do they have to ask about past applications -_-
Have you ever applied to medical school? WHY?!?!
I never applied to DO schools in the past, just to MD schools. So I guess I have to release this info right?sjkdhukihdajiad
Yea I'm in the same position. I just said yes and answered how my application has improved. (Not sure if I was supposed to do that or not, but I feel it can't hurt to say how you've improved). And if they ask about applications in an interview it's good not look like you are hiding anything. just my opinion. Also, just got the complete email!

Yea I'm in the same position. I just said yes and answered how my application has improved. (Not sure if I was supposed to do that or not, but I feel it can't hurt to say how you've improved). And if they ask about applications in an interview it's good not look like you are hiding anything. just my opinion. Also, just got the complete email!
Hey thanks! Good to know. Just annoying to tell everyone that I'm a reapplicant, coz of the associated stigma -__-

wait since when is genetics a requirement? its not on their webpage but in my applicant copy from my primary it says I'm down hours.

Just submitted my primary today. In state hoping for some Iowa love :)
cGpa 3.44, sGPA 3.34, graduate gpa 3.51
Currently doing a master's in exercise physiology
Iowa resident
1200 hours of clinical research+ publications
Nationally ranked ballroom dancer
URM

submitting my secondary today. I would love to go here!

How long are your secondary essays? One of mine is 370 words and I am concerned that is too short.

Last edited: