Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also interviewed the 31st and haven't heard yet. They did say 2 to 3 weeks, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected today also. 3.88 gpa, 29 mcat. Can't seem to get any love from DO schools. I did get an interview for Creighton today, though. Hoping to stay in the Midwest!!! Good luck to everyone still in the running. This looks like a great school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shdvbkfghjbvvgghmslsydjsnsu ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 14 users
Congrats to all accepted today. Looking forward to meeting y'all next year.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anybody found out when the white coat ceremony is? The website shows last year's date. Just wondering, considering I have a family member that has to ask off of work far in advance.

Has anybody found out when the white coat ceremony is? The website shows last year's date. Just wondering, considering I have a family member that has to ask off of work far in advance.

Expect it to be either the weekend of orientation week or the weekend after the first week of classes is over. It changed this year due to a concert taking the original date. You'll find out a specific date in May or June I believe, but you could try calling the school if it's that pressing of a matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Expect it to be either the weekend of orientation week or the weekend after the first week of classes is over. It changed this year due to a concert taking the original date. You'll find out a specific date in May or June I believe, but you could try calling the school if it's that pressing of a matter.

But our original ceremony date before it was changed was at the end of August, right? That would have been after our third week of classes. I would just call admissions. There's no way to reliably guess when it will be. It depends on the schedule of the venue as much as that of the school.

Enrollment form returned, deposit paid. Des Moines, here I come!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Put on the alternate list :( I hope I still get to come to Des Moines with all of you, but past threads make the wait list seem less than promising. Still happy for everyone that got in though! :highfive:

Keep your chin up! The season is still early;)

Rejected today also. 3.88 gpa, 29 mcat. Can't seem to get any love from DO schools. I did get an interview for Creighton today, though. Hoping to stay in the Midwest!!! Good luck to everyone still in the running. This looks like a great school.

Not looking good for me :/

II today- complete 10/11! I'll be there the first day I could schedule for- January 8!

just got a II also! haven't scheduled yet since I'm at work so haven't seen the earliest dates yet

Edit: January dates are earliest! scheduled for late January

Last edited:
rejected pre-interview today. complete 8/8, 3.4/32

Oh, hahah. I actually picked my nickname from an anime character from when I was 11. One Piece.

The badgers and hawkeyes football teams meet up in Iowa this weekend.
Oh, hahah. I actually picked my nickname from an anime character from when I was 11. One Piece

Oh, hahah. I actually picked my nickname from an anime character from when I was 11. One Piece

Damn. I was thinking:

1) Iowa
2) Marvel character
3) M.A.S.H.

Wrong on all counts.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!
Complete: 09/26
Interview Invite: 09/30
Interview Date: 11/14
Stats: 3.7 cumulative, 3.85 science, 33 MCAT
Experience: Patient transporter, volunteer patient sitter at a behavioral clinic, volunteer tutor for refugee kids, and Big Sister for BBBS.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, just got the kiss of death from DMU... Best of luck to everyone else.

Does anyone know how scholarships work at DMU and when admitted students would find out if they are going to receive one?

I've been accepted to KCUMB and DMU and trying to decide between the two now. Has anyone else had a similar decision? Any first years that could give me some insight? I'm super torn!

I've been accepted to KCUMB and DMU and trying to decide between the two now. Has anyone else had a similar decision? Any first years that could give me some insight? I'm super torn!
I have been accepted to both also. I chose DMU. Both schools will provide you with an excellent medical education. The students and faculty sold it for me at DMU, and I like Des Moines better than KC. Also, congratulations!

You can't really go wrong with either school. Make a list of non-school priorities that you are looking for and find out which school has the most of those.

Here's what is probably equal between the two:
- Both have a huge alumni base/solid reputation
- Both schools have solid clinical rotation opportunities
- Both schools have excellent faculty (from what I have heard about KCUMB)
- There isn't a huge price difference between the two, not like a LECOM/in-state school type of price difference
- Curriculum is slightly different between the two, but I don't know enough about KCUMB's to comment although I have heard good things, I do know DMU's curriculum is good, there are always some tweaks that could be made at every school
- Research wise, DMU isn't particularly lacking in the area, but most DO schools aren't exactly geared toward research

If you want a competitive specialty, you are gonna have to work your *** off no matter where you go and both schools would help you in that area. I know DMU's board pass rates are well above the national average, and I'm pretty sure KCUMB does just as well.

So it's time for you to look at the "intangibles" so to speak: family (do you want to be close to them to have opportunities to go home? Do you have a significant other to consider? Children?), Living expenses (Des Moines average COL is 10% below national average), Area of living (there aren't many areas of Des Moines I would consider bad and I'm from Chicago), Atmosphere of the school (approachability of faculty and students alike), peer mentorship/guidance opportunities (DMU has plenty, I don't know enough about KCUMB to comment on it).

My best advice is don't discount the importance of the gut feeling when you visited each school. Take some time to reflect on each visit/interview day and think about how you felt throughout it and consider how you felt interacting with students and with faculty.

Feel free to PM with other questions! Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
DMU seems pretty generous with their scholarships. If you are accepted after your interview, would you need to put down the $1000 deposit before being considered for a scholarship? Or do they let you know at the same time as your acceptance?

I am curious to know how DMU notifies you of an acceptance?
They will simply send an email to the email account that they have registered to you. Typically within 2-3 weeks of your interview date you will receive an email that will tell you whether you are accepted, wait-listed, or declined.

Accepted! I interviewed on 11/21/14 and was notified today (12/3/14) of my acceptance via email. My stats were: cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.92, MCAT 30 (11/9/10). Good luck to those still interviewing and applying!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! I interviewed on 11/21/14 and was notified today (12/3/14) of my acceptance via email. My stats were: cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.92, MCAT 30 (11/9/10). Good luck to those still interviewing and applying!
Very nice. Congrats!! I interviewed on 11/20. Still waiting to hear back ..

Placed on the alternate list. At least it's not a rejection but still disappointed. Wondering how often they utilize the alternate list and when you're notified..?

I just paid my deposit last night. I'm still waiting on my in state school (Utah) to get back to me about an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist. Even if I get in to Utah, I might still go to DMU. I really like OMM and Utah is MD...only time will tell where I end up.

I just paid my deposit last night. I'm still waiting on my in state school (Utah) to get back to me about an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist. Even if I get in to Utah, I might still go to DMU. I really like OMM and Utah is MD...only time will tell where I end up.
Hey I am in the exact same boat!!!!!!! I've been holding out on paying my dmu deposit in hopes of hear back before but I doubt that will be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm objectively with DMU. Would I rather live in a place where bodies are occasionally found, or in a place where notable violence includes assaulting your wife with a McChicken?

Best of luck with the U... They could leave you hanging for a long time

Any current student lurkers that use an iPad to take notes... Can you shed some light on what apps you use/if you think another method would be preferable?