Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current student lurkers that use an iPad to take notes... Can you shed some light on what apps you use/if you think another method would be preferable?
I use notability

I like it :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone remember the email address we send Thank You notes to? Is it the Doadmit one? Thanks!

DMU seems pretty generous with their scholarships. If you are accepted after your interview, would you need to put down the $1000 deposit before being considered for a scholarship? Or do they let you know at the same time as your acceptance?

Just FYI, it was briefly mentioned during my interview that people are notified of their scholarships soon after admission offers. I didn't ask any follow up questions so not entirely sure what "soon after" means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm about to pay my deposit! I interviewed on 9-12, was accepted on 9-30. Frankly, I was surprised (and pleased) to be accepted. It was my first interview and it may have shown. I'm a non-traditional 29 year-old applicant from CA, cumGPA 3.55, science 3.75, 32 mcat. I'm excited about DMU for many of the same reasons as others who have posted here: community feel, friendly, good reputation, and so on.

Since it was mentioned in the last post, I will add that I have not been given any scholarship information.

No such thing as luck folks, only hard work and blessings.

James

Reactions: 1 users
Deposit paid! So excited to be attending DMU next fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, I'm about to pay my deposit! I interviewed on 9-12, was accepted on 9-30. Frankly, I was surprised (and pleased) to be accepted. It was my first interview and it may have shown. I'm a non-traditional 29 year-old applicant from CA, cumGPA 3.55, science 3.75, 32 mcat. I'm excited about DMU for many of the same reasons as others who have posted here: community feel, friendly, good reputation, and so on.

Since it was mentioned in the last post, I will add that I have not been given any scholarship information.

No such thing as luck folks, only hard work and blessings.

James

It's great to hear that there's gonna be other non-trads in our class! I'm super excited for to start next fall and meet everyone!

Anybody going to the open house on Thursday?

Anybody going to the open house on Thursday?
I won't be at this one, but I will be going to the 2nd Look in spring.

When is everybody going to look for housing?

I'd suggest starting your search in April to May-ish as that is usually when landlords start finding out and probing about who will be staying and who will be moving so they have a better idea of how many apartments they have available and what not.

Unless you want to move out here earlier, then by all means search earlier. I just know the landlord at my apartment complex said they start probing people two months before the leases are supposed to be up.

2nd look day is a great time to find a place. If you want to live near campus, lots of apartments will have open houses, so you can look around and check out multiple places quickly. And by that time a lot of complexes should know which units are going to be available for summer. Start searching much earlier and the property managers won't have a good idea of what's going to be available for your probable move-in date.

Just paid my seat deposit :)

Reactions: 2 users
GUESS WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW AT DMU???? THIS GUY!!!!:banana::banana: So thrilled! Can't wait! Interview is January 12th, I hope they still have seats available. So thrilled! Complete 11/14

Reactions: 7 users
GUESS WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW AT DMU???? THIS GUY!!!!:banana::banana: So thrilled! Can't wait! Interview is January 12th, I hope they still have seats available. So thrilled! Complete 11/14
Woot!

Members don't see this ad :)
sad day, DMU was waiting for my 11/7 scores to be released before reviewing and they say it could take 60 days.

do I even stand a chance here anymore if it could take 60 days? 3.7/balanced 30, ECs are all good, no red flags, no single bad grades

Soo just waitlisted here, whats the movement like? and when would they start letting ppl know?

Well I just gave up my seat today, so I hope one of you deserving applicants gets accepted! DMU was my #1 choice DO school, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to attend my in-state MD. Good luck to everyone still in the application process! DMU really seems like a great school where you can receive a solid education.

Soo just waitlisted here, whats the movement like? and when would they start letting ppl know?

I'd recommend calling the admissions office to get feedback and ask questions. I did the same today and she was extremely helpful. It sounds like we will not hear much until May and then they will rank the list.

Can any current students comment on when scholarships were offered to them or their fellow classmates? Or do any of you know what the plan for scholarship offers is for this year? A scholarship offer could really seal the deal for me at DMU...

So I just saw on the KCUMB thread that they emailed everyone saying they are full and aren't interviewing anyone else. Anyone have any idea how full DMU is? Just curious. Very excited to interview!

So I just saw on the KCUMB thread that they emailed everyone saying they are full and aren't interviewing anyone else. Anyone have any idea how full DMU is? Just curious. Very excited to interview!

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that. Something's up with kcumb. I called them and they told me the same but then I got an ii for January. Soooo idk

Last year at this time, DMU was around half full. That was the extent of info they gave out. They may tell you where the class is at on your interview day.

So I'm just out looking for a new perspective. I was accepted at Tcom and have have an interview at DMU. I really liked tcom and the area and think I have a good chance of getting in-state tuition there. I think DMU, from what I have read, is an excellent school a well. I was wondering if anyone had any unique things to say about DMU or anyone that has visited both campuses. Hopefully some more info can help me decide if it is worth the time and money to come out for the interview. Thank you for the help.

And Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
Just received a hold email. Likelihood of getting off of hold status anyone?

I'very been on hold since early Nov. My guess is it will be time to interview for the alt list when they get back to us.

So I'm just out looking for a new perspective. I was accepted at Tcom and have have an interview at DMU. I really liked tcom and the area and think I have a good chance of getting in-state tuition there. I think DMU, from what I have read, is an excellent school a well. I was wondering if anyone had any unique things to say about DMU or anyone that has visited both campuses. Hopefully some more info can help me decide if it is worth the time and money to come out for the interview. Thank you for the help.

I interviewed at DMU and was really impressed with everything they had to offer. The new dean, Dr. Polk, seems to have the school in the right direction as 100% of graduates last year were able to match. The professors seemed very enthusiastic about teaching, and the med students were all generally happy when I spoke with them.

Both TCOM and DMU are among the upper echelon of D.O. schools. If you have the extra $$$, I'd suggest making the trip to DMU and checking it out.

On my interview day a staff member briefly mentioned that the school is considering offering a new west coast rotation site. Did anyone else hear that/can anyone speak about it?

On my interview day a staff member briefly mentioned that the school is considering offering a new west coast rotation site. Did anyone else hear that/can anyone speak about it?
Rick,

The rotation sites change all the time so just because something is in the works I wouldn't count on it

Hope everyone coming in on Wednesday is ready for some Iowa winter weather! News today said high would be -9 with wind chill -30!

Hope everyone coming in on Wednesday is ready for some Iowa winter weather! News today said high would be -9 with wind chill -30!
I hope it warms up by the time I interview on Monday! :)

those interviewing on wednesday can u please let us know how full the class is at this moment in time?

those interviewing on wednesday can u please let us know how full the class is at this moment in time?
At the open house just before break they said the class was about half full. I'll interview on Thursday and will try to get an answer to report back!

Is anyone else interviewing end of January (between 1/27 and 1/30)?

Just got back from interviewing.. School was wonderful, faculty seemed great, interview was fun! As of this morning, admissions office said they are expecting to receive 5000 applications, of which they will offer about 700 ii and accept 400. At this point the class is halfway full and they are still estimating a 2 week post interview decision time.

Hold pre-interview :/ any tips on what I can do from here? or just be patient haha easier said than done

Do you mind sharing your stats and when ou were complete?

Excited for my interview on Monday!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
They mentioned that if you ere waitlisted, you could call in order to find out which quartile you were in. Does anyone know at what point you can call to find out?

My interview was awesome today. Amazing school, great facilities, student culture seems very accepting and friendly. Dean Polk seems like an amazing dean.

I interviewed with Dr. Pandeya and I thought he was awesome, he asked random questions but almost half the interview either he, Dr. Strayffeler or I were laughing. Very low stress even when they asked the "hard questions".

DMU is definitely at the top of my list. Can't wait to hear back from them! I'll be semi-patiently waiting with much anticipation.

They mentioned that if you ere waitlisted, you could call in order to find out which quartile you were in. Does anyone know at what point you can call to find out?

Admissions said they don't rank you until April and they will let you know when that time comes. I'm 90% sure that is what they said but I'm sure you can confirm with them.

You update until about the first week of April. Then a few weeks later, they let you know your ranking :)

By the way they said they were more than half way full during the interview.

Also have most people recently heard back at a minimum of 2 weeks? Just want to know if I should be obsessively checking my email before 2 weeks.