Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way they said they were more than half way full during the interview.

Also have most people recently heard back at a minimum of 2 weeks? Just want to know if I should be obsessively checking my email before 2 weeks.
Huh. I interviewed just one session before you and it was half full. Hopefully it's because they admitted my entire interview cohort

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
By the way they said they were more than half way full during the interview.

Also have most people recently heard back at a minimum of 2 weeks? Just want to know if I should be obsessively checking my email before 2 weeks.

My interview group on 11/21 heard back on 12/3, so just under 2 weeks.

Huh. I interviewed just one session before you and it was half full. Hopefully it's because they admitted my entire interview cohort

I hope so! Let me/us know when you hear back. Did you interview on the Friday before? Most of the students were surprised they had a Monday interview day, maybe they schedule more days after the new year? I dunno.

Also they said all scholarships have been given out for this year. Just FYI.
(Obviously if someone doesn't take their seat that money will go back into the "pot" and divvied out to others. That's just what they told us on Monday.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so! Let me/us know when you hear back. Did you interview on the Friday before? Most of the students were surprised they had a Monday interview day, maybe they schedule more days after the new year? I dunno.

(Obviously if someone doesn't take their seat that money will go back into the "pot" and divvied out to others. That's just what they told us on Monday.)

I interviewed on the Thursday before, so today is my one week. Waiting (not so) patiently for a decision! Absolutely loved it!

Has anyone on here mentioned receiving a scholarship this cycle? I haven't noticed any such posts.

Odd question but... Do any current students know of any shotgun/sport ranges in the DSM area?

Odd question but... Do any current students know of any shotgun/sport ranges in the DSM area?

There's a range about 15 minutes south of town run by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Look up "Banner Shooting Range". I was just there yesterday, shooting clays and using the pistol range. I believe there are others, but that's the one in familiar with.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an interview invite after being on hold since November!!! AHHH! So excited. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewing here Thursday! Excited to check out the school

ACCEPTED!!!!!! So excited as it was one of my top 3 choices!!!!! Interviewed 1/8

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!! So excited as it was one of my top 3 choices!!!!! Interviewed 1/8
Ah man, hopefully that doesn't mean bad news for me. I interviewed the same day and haven't heard anything yet. DMU is top 2 for me so think good thoughts for me! :D

Edit: Ended up getting the rejection email about an hour later. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite after being on hold since November!!! AHHH! So excited. :)
This makes me excited because I've been on hold since November as welll :) Congrats!!! Mind sharing stats?

Accepted! Very high chance I'll end up here! Looks like four more years at des moines for me!

Reactions: 5 users
This makes me excited because I've been on hold since November as welll :) Congrats!!! Mind sharing stats?

Thank you!!!
My stats are 29MCAT and 3.8 GPA. I really hope you get an interview too! :)

Interviewed at DMU today, quite impressed. Hope to hear good news in the next couple weeks

When did you interview? Congrats!
Interviewed Jan. 9th, so I heard a little under two weeks. If anyone has questions about Des Moines hit me up! I went to Drake University so I know the area really well.

Interviewed Jan. 9th, so I heard a little under two weeks. If anyone has questions about Des Moines hit me up! I went to Drake University so I know the area really well.
Oh man. Hopefully that means I will hear back in the next couple days! I interviewed on Jan. 12th.

Anyone know where to send an update letter to? I got my fall grades back and changed one planned class for this spring. I also started a new research project and I thought I'd include that in the letter as well.

Last edited:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (deep breath) AAAACCCCEPTED!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Just received my acceptance to another school (STOKED!) but am still interviewing here on 1/29 since it ties with the other school. Is anyone else interviewing 1/29?

Congrats to those recently accepted! See y'all this summer.

@fish992 @JadeSto Best of luck with your upcoming interviews!

Accepted. Interviewed 1/15/2015. Excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
I got in with a 3.42 cGPA and 3.42 science GPA, and 29 MCAT. It really comes down to the interview though in my opinion. I thought I nailed it, and I guess they liked me.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! Very high chance I'll end up here! Looks like four more years at des moines for me!

Well...there is that lovely rotation bit. You'll be spending 2 years for didactics for sure, and then it gets variable.

Thank you!!!
My stats are 29MCAT and 3.8 GPA. I really hope you get an interview too! :)
Lol, well, they sent me a nice email to let me know i'm still on hold.... maybe i'll get a March interview....

Yay! Just got an interview invite! !!
at this time in the evening lol ... looks like they're working late ... or did u just check your email and it was sent much earlier?

Lol. Yea. I should probably change that to today. No, they aren't burning the midnight oil lol. I got it earlier today.

congrats! mind sharing your stats and when you were complete?

Yea sure. I was complete January 12th with my second mcat. 3.35 cgpa 3.45 sgpa.
11/6/9 mcat 1 then 9/9/10 mcat 2.
500 hours shadowing and 100 hours volunteering in a rural area.

placed on hold today. complete 10/17, but they waited for my 11/7 MCAT scores (I think this is what did me in... just too late)

LizzyM of 66 (balanced, above average cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT)
trad applicant
currently working in a direct patient care position since graduation last may
no red flags
slight upward GPA trend with a small dip soph year
Work in Iowa, but otherwise no ties (FWIW)
>200 hours shadowing
DO letter
letter from an ADCOM member/MD at a very well known and nearby MD school/hospital
>1000 hours non-clin volunteering
~100 hours clin volunteering
2xInternational mission work (non-medical)
Plenty of undergraduate leadership roles

good luck guys.

We have recently completed a review of your application for admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine at Des Moines University.
Due to the large volume of highly competitive applicants, we have placed your file on hold. This simply means that while you are not invited to interview with us at this time, you are still under consideration for a possible interview later in the application cycle.
The Admission Committee will review your file again in the coming months. At that time, you will either be invited for an interview, remain on hold, or your application will be denied. If your file remains on hold, you will not receive a status update. This additional review could take several months due to the size of our applicant pool.
There is no need to submit additional documents. Updates to your GPA and MCAT scores should be sent directly to AACOMAS for processing.
If you have questions regarding your application status, or if you do not wish to receive further consideration and would like to withdraw your file, please contact the Admission Office at [email protected] or by phone at: (800) 240-2767, ext. 1499 or at (515) 271-1499. Please ensure your email inbox will accept mail from Des Moines University (@dmu.edu).
Thank you for your interest in the DO program at DMU.

Last edited:
placed on hold today. complete 10/17, but they waited for my 11/7 MCAT scores (I think this is what did me in... just too late)

LizzyM of 66 (balanced, above average cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT)
trad applicant
currently working in a direct patient care position since graduation last may
no red flags
slight upward GPA trend with a small dip soph year
Work in Iowa, but otherwise no ties (FWIW)
>200 hours shadowing
DO letter
letter from an ADCOM member at a very well known and nearby MD school/hospital
>1000 hours non-clin volunteering
~100 hours clin volunteering
2xInternational mission work (non-medical)
Plenty of undergraduate leadership roles

good luck guys.
How in God's name did you get placed on hold with that much on your app?

How in God's name did you get placed on hold with that much on your app?

thinking it may have been them waiting to process until they received my 11/7 scores. I was complete way back when, but they didn't start processing it until they received those new scores.

Got the hold email. Is this a silent rejection at this point? how often do they review hold applications?

Got the hold email. Is this a silent rejection at this point? how often do they review hold applications?
I think it's about every two months. I was on hold in November, got the "still on hold" email about a week ago... Mid-March is pretty much their cut off deadline for interviews.

anyone interviewed on 1/22 and 1/23 heard anything?

Not to sound pessimistic, but I have given up lol.
same ... I'm taking it as a rejection ... don't think there is enough time left in the cycle to get another look at this point

Just to give everyone an update, at the interview yesterday they said the class is about 3/4 full

I was 1/22. Haven't heard anything yet... That hasn't stopped me from refreshing my email every time I look at my phone.

Based on my research from last year thread, we should hear back this coming tuesday i think...hopefully we get in.