Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone bringing parents to second look day?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone bringing parents to second look day?
Me and the parents will be there. I've moved across the country 3 times now and still at age 23 my mom insists on seeing where I'm moving before I go. Gotta love the moms.

Reactions: 5 users
March 27. It doesn't have a schedule of the day. It just says it's an opportunity to meet faculty and explore housing options.

Me and the parents will be there. I've moved across the country 3 times now and still at age 23 my mom insists on seeing where I'm moving before I go. Gotta love the moms.

I brought my mom and grandma, not for the sake of making decisions but because it's a great opportunity for them to get to see things and more than likely they will get to meet Dr. Polk which always impresses people haha. I think you can bring a max of 3 guest if I remember right. As for the schedule, I believe it was an 8 am to 4pm type of deal where they have some informational sessions on research and the dual degrees amongst other things and they also have a presentation on financial aid, the city of Des Moines, and some other pretty good info. Wish I could remember more for you guys, but they should have the actual schedule out soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 1/22. Alternate list :/ . Congrats to those accepted.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 1/22

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today. Interviewed 01/22. Might not be accepting however, so someone on the waitlist maybe getting a spot!
Is there a Facebook group for the students?

Reactions: 1 user
Deposit paid, so as of today, I'll be going to DMU in the fall! Still waiting on 2 schools higher up on my list, though, so might be giving up my seat to waitlist later on!

II today! There's still hope for us yet! Put on hold in the beginning of January.

II today! There's still hope for us yet! Put on hold in the beginning of January.
Do u mind sharing your stats and if u provided any updates after being placed on hold? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
How in God's name did you get placed on hold with that much on your app?

Plenty of stuff can tank an otherwise "perfect" application. Personal statement, for example. I've seen some rough ones sitting at the top of the numbers game. Not saying that's the case here, obviously -- just an example.

Can you give me some pros and cons. Perhaps even from a non traditional student with a family.

Family -- great community with plenty to do. Quite safe. Significant others support group is awesome. There's even a manly-man variant of the significant others support group. LOTS of students with children.

School itself -- Curriculum is highly considerate of clinical medicine (e.g., integration of U/S curriculum & SOLID surgical skills course), student preference, and boards prep. DMU prepares you to look awesome on the wards. Professors are generally great. Pizza is weak here, but that's no big deal. OMM gets you over your modesty within 3 weeks. Could go on at significant length.

Cons -- not everybody will be happy with their rotation site -- not a true con because we do relatively well compared to a lot of other schools. Pizza sucks. Quesadillas are not offered daily. Pool table is lop-sided.

Touch, what did I miss?

Random question for any current students:
How hard is it to find housing/apartments close to the campus? I heard there are a bunch of apartment complexes across the street/quite close.
Also, what time should I start bugging the landlords?

How hard is it to find housing/apartments close to the campus? I heard there are a bunch of apartment complexes across the street/quite close.

ASAP, though I prefer living further out. There is a LOT of gold if you're willing to drive 10-15 minutes. I pay 650 for a 1100 square foot 2br. BTW -- if anyone's interested in taking over, I have a lease date in October, but I'm getting shipped out for rotations. Looking for somebody to fill the spot when I head out. Mid-late July move-in date.

ASAP, though I prefer living further out. There is a LOT of gold if you're willing to drive 10-15 minutes. I pay 650 for a 1100 square foot 2br. BTW -- if anyone's interested in taking over, I have a lease date in October, but I'm getting shipped out for rotations. Looking for somebody to fill the spot when I head out. Mid-late July move-in date.
HOW DID YOU FIND SUCH A GOLDEN PLACE? I'll PM you

Just to give everyone an update, at the interview yesterday they said the class is about 3/4 full

I'll take that as good news for me since I interviewed 1/29 and they told us 1/2 full so they must've accepted a bunch of the people in my group. XP
*fingers crossed* =D

Hey good luck to everyone interviewing today

I just got accepted!!!! :soexcited:
:biglove:

Reactions: 7 users
Guys, any advice on the best way to get to Des Moines from Chicago. I have my interview on Thursday. Thinking of taking the greyhound or the Amtrak, but the Amtrak station is located a bit far from the city. Any help is really appreciated!

Have you checked Southwest? Midland to DSM usually isn't that expensive but idk.

Accepted 2/2
I have decided to not pay the deposit, therefore withdrawing my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you!!

Guys, any advice on the best way to get to Des Moines from Chicago. I have my interview on Thursday. Thinking of taking the greyhound or the Amtrak, but the Amtrak station is located a bit far from the city. Any help is really appreciated!
Megabus. Usually not that expensive

Not hard. I live right across the street, pay 770 a mo for a 2 BR. Being close is very nice for going to the gym, changing/showering after labs, and napping. Especially the napping...

Can any current students recommend a bank or credit union near campus and why, please?

Can any current students recommend a bank or credit union near campus and why, please?

I've used US Bank since I was in high school and never had a single issue. There are branches in every city I've ever lived, so it's very convenient, and the nearest one to campus is about 2 blocks away. (Ingersoll just west of 35th)

So.. I can access Pulse but can't access my e-mail. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Mind sharing stats?
Completed second MCAT in December and got waitlisted on 1/26
29 and 31 on MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, 3.7 science GPA.

I sent in an update letter after getting waitlisted. I think that may have helped get me off of it.
In the interview invite email, they said that March 13th is the last interview date but that it's for an "alternate list". I don't know what that "alternate list" means though.

Completed second MCAT in December and got waitlisted on 1/26
29 and 31 on MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, 3.7 science GPA.

I sent in an update letter after getting waitlisted. I think that may have helped get me off of it.
In the interview invite email, they said that March 13th is the last interview date but that it's for an "alternate list". I don't know what that "alternate list" means though.
I would assume it means the class is full and they are interviewing for spots in the event that people withdraw

I was also accepted on 2/2 and placed my deposit! 26 MCAT, 3.49 cGPA, 3.32 science GPA. They definitely care about more than just stats! Good luck everyone interviewing!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm having this issue as well. I'd appreciate a PM explaining it whenever you get a chance. Thanks!
Hey @Bbroush, I sent you a message. To anyone else having trouble logging in, your DMU email address is not actually what you use to log into the email account. Instead, log in with your DMU username that they sent you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That's a vague question. In what way?

I'll start the comparison.

Well, DMU is in Iowa, and LMU is in Tennessee.
LMU is associated with an undergraduate university, DMU is health sciences only.
DMU has a better website.
LMU has an L instead of a D in their name.
Anyone in this thread who knows a lot about DMU because they matriculate there does NOT go to LMU.

That's all I've got. Hey, you know what? I bet THIS might have some information.

Reactions: 4 users
LOL trolls in every school... for the current students what is one thing you don't like about your school and you would change?

LOL trolls in every school... for the current students what is one thing you don't like about your school and you would change?
That we have a micro and an anatomy exam this week :rage:

Reactions: 3 users
Alright folks.... Gearing up for the housing search. I've checked out the classifieds on Pulse and made a short list but I'm looking to sign a lease while I'm in town for Second Look (if at all possible). So... Current students, where should I check out if I'm looking for a 1 bedroom close to school?

Lookin' at you, @touchpause13, @O Grady and @JPickos9989 and everyone else!

Alright folks.... Gearing up for the housing search. I've checked out the classifieds on Pulse and made a short list but I'm looking to sign a lease while I'm in town for Second Look (if at all possible). So... Current students, where should I check out if I'm looking for a 1 bedroom close to school?

Lookin' at you, @touchpause13, @O Grady and @JPickos9989 and everyone else!

There will be a lot of places with open houses on second look day. 3000 Grand (3G), The Imperial, Grand Prix, etc.

During second look day last year we got a sheet in our folder that has contact information and addresses for many places nearby.