Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gearing up my housing search as well. With my family, we are planning on renting a 3 BR place. I've heard of maple grove villas but not much else except some that are farther away. We would prefer a townhouse over an apartment if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any feedback on the interview day? Location of school access to airport, Do I need to rent a car? where to stay?

Any feedback on the interview day? Location of school access to airport, Do I need to rent a car? where to stay?

A lot of the recommended hotels have an airport/school shuttle, assuming you're staying near-by. They should have sent you a link with recommended hotels, including ones that offer a "DMU Discount". https://www.dmu.edu/visit/hotels/. The airport is literally 7-8 minutes away from the school, and is a super tiny airport. Renting a car definitely not necessary; if you want to explore around Des Moines, it'd probably be cheaper to get cabs for that day.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I stayed at the Hampton on Fleur. Shuttle to and from the airport, shuttle to and from the school and a discounted rate for interviewees. Not too shabby at all.

Does anyone know if the class is full or not? If so how does waitlist work?

Does anyone know if the class is full or not? If so how does waitlist work?

Not full yet. At the most recent interview they said that there were a slim number of spots available.

Ohh debating if I should go for the last interview date :eyebrow: Already got accepted in other schools, but nothing as old as DMU

Ohh debating if I should go for the last interview date :eyebrow: Already got accepted in other schools, but nothing as old as DMU
I loved DMU and will likely be going there so Im a little biased but if you have the time/means I would recommend attending the interview. That way at least you'll know if it's the school for you, if it's ok or if it would be a miserable few years.

Got my hep b titers back today and they were negative. I've had the series already and I restarted them as well. Is this going to be a problem since I can't have the 3rd until 6 months from today (first in series date)? Or am I good since I've already had 3 doses and I'm repeating?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my hep b titers back today and they were negative. I've had the series already and I restarted them as well. Is this going to be a problem since I can't have the 3rd until 6 months from today (first in series date)? Or am I good since I've already had 3 doses and I'm repeating?

I think you're asking the wrong people. I would call or email Jessica from student health. She can give you all the specifics you need.

Interviewed Feb 26, just received acceptance today! But I'll be attending another school so will be passing on the acceptance - hope it makes space for someone here!

Any insight on the chance for acceptance from the alternate list?

Does anyone know when the Background check information will come out? I would like to know I passed the background before I let other schools know I am not attending there and my final deposit for KCOM is due 04/15. Does anyone know if the background check can be completed before then?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the Background check information will come out? I would like to know I passed the background before I let other schools know I am not attending there and my final deposit for KCOM is due 04/15. Does anyone know if the background check can be completed before then?

After digging back into my e-mails, they sent the background check process links and info in mid-May. To be honest, you should have a pretty good idea of whether you'll pass the background checks. If you haven't been a serious delinquent and don't have felonies or anything like that on your record as well as not having any patient/child/elder abuse accusations in your past, you'll pass the background check with no issues. But you won't find out if you passed until well into the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
After digging back into my e-mails, they sent the background check process links and info in mid-May. To be honest, you should have a pretty good idea of whether you'll pass the background checks. If you haven't been a serious delinquent and don't have felonies or anything like that on your record as well as not having any patient/child/elder abuse accusations in your past, you'll pass the background check with no issues. But you won't find out if you passed until well into the summer.

I should pass. I just don't want something dumb to come up that I wasn't expecting like a traffic violation. I passed mine at KCOM already. I just don't like the idea that I'm turning down my already passed background check and then having to jump through another hoop.

It just presents the possibility of turning down a school, and then maybe getting acceptance rescinded at other school. Leaving me with 0 schools.

I should pass. I just don't want something dumb to come up that I wasn't expecting like a traffic violation. I passed mine at KCOM already. I just don't like the idea that I'm turning down my already passed background check and then having to jump through another hoop.

It just presents the possibility of turning down a school, and then maybe getting acceptance rescinded at other school. Leaving me with 0 schools.

You won't fail a background check for a traffic violation. If you passed KCOM's, you will pass DMU's. They are checking for the same things.

Nothing to be worried about. I had a brand new speeding ticket when I had my background check go through if that helps calm your nerves.

Woah! Just got an II. I presume based on the e-mail that it would be interviewing for the alternate list at this point? I'm just slightly concerned as flights for me are around $900 for the days left.

Last edited:
Alright folks.... Gearing up for the housing search. I've checked out the classifieds on Pulse and made a short list but I'm looking to sign a lease while I'm in town for Second Look (if at all possible). So... Current students, where should I check out if I'm looking for a 1 bedroom close to school?

Lookin' at you, @touchpause13, @O Grady and @JPickos9989 and everyone else!
I'd echo what @buttfrogs said, and there are plenty of other apartments all along grand avenue, or a short walk from campus. I live at the Imperial in a 2 BR and we really like it. It doesn't have all the amenities that 3G does, but it's much more affordable and it's not bad at all. My only complaint is there's no central AC, just window units.

Can any current students comment on what specific technology is offered to first-years?

Can any current students comment on what specific technology is offered to first-years?
Search this thread. I believed it was mentioned they give you some sort of PC ultra book and it changes every year.

This year the laptop supplied to students was the HP Elitebook 840. The year before us got an earlier model of the same thing.

If you mean something else by "specific technology", let me know.

I received rejection pre-interview this morning. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
I called them yesterday and they said they will email me this week so you might want to give them a call if you are still waiting.

how many interview days are left here if anyone knows?

For those that are accepted or current students, are there a lot of people that live out in West DSM (or for accepted students is anyone looking there)?

Having a family, we are looking for a 3BR place and we've found a few good ones in the Clive/west Des moines area so I'm curious what people think about living 15 minutes away.

Anything a must-see for second look day at the school or otherwise? Trying to figure out how many days I should plan on spending in Des Moines

My Hep B was also negative last year and I didn't even have to repeat the series, I got the first dose in the series again, redid the titer and when it came back positive Jessica said I was good to go. Hope this helps.

Rejected pre-interview today.. 3.5 Gpa, 30 MCAT. Never even knew I was complete ;)

Paid the first half of my deposit today! Interviewed 2/27 and accepted 3/2.

Is there a Facebook page for the entering class?

I was spared from having to decide between DMU and my state school since I was rejected from Utah this morning. I'll be happily attending DMU!

Reactions: 4 users
I was spared from having to decide between DMU and my state school since I was rejected from Utah this morning. I'll be happily attending DMU!

While it's always a good thing to have a choice, I for one am glad that you had this decision forced upon you ;)

Welcome! I'm sure you'll love it.

Nicely stated, good sir! This never crossed my mind as a concern when I was saying goodbye to KCOM. O_O

For those that are accepted or current students, are there a lot of people that live out in West DSM (or for accepted students is anyone looking there)?

Having a family, we are looking for a 3BR place and we've found a few good ones in the Clive/west Des moines area so I'm curious what people think about living 15 minutes away.

yes. i live 15 minutes away. as a father, i love it because it gets me away from all the rabble.

He yet lives! I second Frky's vote. I live 10 minutes out and if I lived too close, I fear I'd spend way too much time on campus and not enough time with my family. This might be just me, but I do enjoy the decompression of the 10 minutes in a car between the two places I spend my life.

yes. i live 15 minutes away. as a father, i love it because it gets me away from all the rabble.

He yet lives! I second Frky's vote. I live 10 minutes out and if I lived too close, I fear I'd spend way too much time on campus and not enough time with my family. This might be just me, but I do enjoy the decompression of the 10 minutes in a car between the two places I spend my life.
Different strokes I guess. I live super close and have a family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Being close is a nice perk since running home for meals or a quick break with the family is less of a time sink

There are a lot of families out in West Des Moines and even Waukee. We live in a 3bd townhouse in Johnston and like it.

Has anyone from the 3/12 or 3/13 interview days heard back? I know they mentioned it might take a little longer with spring break...

I live on the east side, so like 20 minutes away in the opposite direction.
It's fine, I love owning a home, but I do wish that I was closer, but Mr. TP commutes wayyy further than I do so we had to compromise.

Touch -- I always wonder about how people are able to purchase a house during M1 and M2 (unless the partner can sustain it independently) -- how are you guys working it out with 3rd (and 4th for that matter) year if you have to move outta town for rotations?

Touch -- I always wonder about how people are able to purchase a house during M1 and M2 (unless the partner can sustain it independently) -- how are you guys working it out with 3rd (and 4th for that matter) year if you have to move outta town for rotations?
Idk. I'm going to apply for a an exception, and hope I can get something close.

Ok, I will be wishing you luck, but as a courtesy, I'll give you some insight to how ours played out.

They explicitly told us that there needed to be some extreme circumstances involved to receive an exemption from the lotto, e.g., you help take care of a sick family member in Des Moines. Having a spouse, house, or even children was not supposed to qualify us for exemptions. Some people complained loudly enough that they were given what they wanted regardless of not having met the predetermined criteria. I don't imagine they're gonna let that fly again next year.

Start researching sites now and try to figure out where you wanna end up so that you have time to structure a good personal statement -- you can be chosen by a site that way. Maybe this will give you a chance to throw in some shadowing at a site you're interested in to grant your plea more weight?

Anyways, it was a crap show for us, so I'm hoping it all turns out better next year for you guys.

ALSO, good luck on exams this week! :) You're near the finish line of MS-1.

Ok, I will be wishing you luck, but as a courtesy, I'll give you some insight to how ours played out.

They explicitly told us that there needed to be some extreme circumstances involved to receive an exemption from the lotto, e.g., you help take care of a sick family member in Des Moines. Having a spouse, house, or even children was not supposed to qualify us for exemptions. Some people complained loudly enough that they were given what they wanted regardless of not having met the predetermined criteria. I don't imagine they're gonna let that fly again next year.

Start researching sites now and try to figure out where you wanna end up so that you have time to structure a good personal statement -- you can be chosen by a site that way. Maybe this will give you a chance to throw in some shadowing at a site you're interested in to grant your plea more weight?

Anyways, it was a crap show for us, so I'm hoping it all turns out better next year for you guys.

ALSO, good luck on exams this week! :) You're near the finish line of MS-1.
I just went to the rotations meeting and Dr. Green basically said if you think you might have an exception to just submit, I think they had a lot of people bitching after the fact who didn't apply for an exception and they want to avoid that.

I think my best bet is probably the personal statement, but we'll see. Shadowing is a good suggestion, I'll have to look into that.

Yea, they essentially told us not to bother applying if we didn't have basically a cataclysm. I have a wife and child, so I semi-regret not going for it anyway, but oh well. I have a great site and I'm pretty excited about it. Moving's a huge pain, but I'll live. :p

But yea, anything that can give you credibility in your plea (personal statement) for a specific site will probably be pretty helpful especially if you're sticking around the area over the summer. Maybe even shadow at multiple places so you can say you've sampled the flavors.