Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Lysilegluleu

They mentioned something like this briefly in the meeting with Dr. Green, but I couldn't find it on the site: is there a place on Pulse to see the current list of year-long sites, or the places where 3rd year students are currently rotating?

Members don't see this ad.

It's ever-evolving. I wouldn't place stock in what you read for our year. My advice to you all is to pay attention and be ready to ask meaningful questions when hospital day comes around. Also, I'm not sure how at liberty I am proving that list on this forum. Is there anywhere in particular you're interested in? I can do some digging and see if I can answer whatever questions you may have about particular sites.

Accepted today! I had given up with DMU since it's been so long.

IS, 3.4 sGA, 3.6 cGPA, 27 MCAT. Not sure if I'll accept admission as I have some decisions to make. I also got accepted to Nova and loved that school too. For those still waiting, don't lose hope yet!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everyone. This is my first post, an I've got a question about waitlist at DMU.

My long-time girlfriend got notified today that she was wait listed at DMU. This is her second round of applying; after getting rejected last year, she moved her GPA and MCAT up and did a lot more volunteering. I am graduating from law school this year, and I've got to take the bar exam this summer, and I'm trying to get an idea of the percentage chances that she'll end up in Iowa. As it stands, I'm planning on taking the Nebraska bar exam.

Her acceptance letter read, "While we are currently unable to offer you a seat in the class, we may make additional offers of admission at the close of the application year. Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available."

Am I being too hopeful in reading this that she's at the top of the list--or is this just generic get-your-hopes-up language they send to everyone?

Any direction on this would be most appreciated.

Note: I've seen in the past where the school indicated what quartile people were in on the waitlist, but I don't see anything like that. And she's emailing them to see if they can give her an idea of where she is on the wait list. Is this information they generally share.

Thanks again to anyone that takes the time to help!

Yes, I'd advise her to contact the admissions office for any information that she hasn't been given in any official form. As a rule, obviously, don't ask what's been answered on paper. I'll be wishing your lady luck!

Btw for accepted students, this isn't 100% or anything, but I've heard about the possibility of drug testing when you get to campus.
So just make sure you can pass m'kay

Reactions: 3 users
Any students at 3000 Grand able to comment where the more convenient locations are within the building with respect to the school, parking, floor level, quietness, building entrances, etc? How much time do you actually spend at your apartment during first year anyway? Thank you!

Lol, Touch, this should not be an issue for future physicians, imo. But yea, incomers, pee clean! Probably won't be seeing much of ya this fall, but I'm lurking if you've got questions.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post, an I've got a question about waitlist at DMU.

My long-time girlfriend got notified today that she was wait listed at DMU. This is her second round of applying; after getting rejected last year, she moved her GPA and MCAT up and did a lot more volunteering. I am graduating from law school this year, and I've got to take the bar exam this summer, and I'm trying to get an idea of the percentage chances that she'll end up in Iowa. As it stands, I'm planning on taking the Nebraska bar exam.

Her acceptance letter read, "While we are currently unable to offer you a seat in the class, we may make additional offers of admission at the close of the application year. Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available."

Am I being too hopeful in reading this that she's at the top of the list--or is this just generic get-your-hopes-up language they send to everyone?

Any direction on this would be most appreciated.

Note: I've seen in the past where the school indicated what quartile people were in on the waitlist, but I don't see anything like that. And she's emailing them to see if they can give her an idea of where she is on the wait list. Is this information they generally share.

Thanks again to anyone that takes the time to help!
Everyone put on the alternate list gets the same initial e-mail. They don't usually rank the alternate list until after the deadline for all accepted students at all MD medical schools to commit to one acceptance, which is May 15th I think. About a week or so after the deadline, she will find out what quartile she is in for the alternate list. Based on the past few years, if she is in the first quartile, there is really good chance that she will receive an acceptance. Last year they didn't quite make it into the second quartile, but the two years before that they went deep into the second quartile. Factors that affect wait list movement are really unpredictable so it just depends on the year.

Can any current students comment on how you determined how much to take out loan-wise for cost of living? What parts of the budget do you think are a bit generous? (E.g. $3217 for books and equipment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can any current students comment on how you determined how much to take out loan-wise for cost of living? What parts of the budget do you think are a bit generous? (E.g. $3217 for books and equipment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most people just take out the max they can

My wife has a job, so we did not take out the entire loan amount. To determine how much we would need, we looked at our expenses over the past 2 years before I began school and calculated how much $$ we would need to cover those expenses due to my lack of income. We use a budgeting software, so we knew exactly how much we had spent on food, clothes, phone/internet, etc. over that time. In Des Moines, our rent is cheaper, monthly utilities are lower, and we downsized from 2 cars to 1, so we took all of those things into account.

Depending on the student there are some portions of the DMU budget that are clearly overkill. Transportation and books/equipment at over $3000 each are the ones that come to mind. It's up to you to figure out how much you'll be driving or taking public transportation, but if you live within walking distance from campus, there's no way that transportation will cost you over $3,000, unless you're regularly driving/flying home to visit family. As for books and equipment, it depends on what you plan to buy. I bought the anatomy lab manual and dissection kit, an otoscope/ophthalmoscope set (both are required), First Aid, and Pathoma. I didn't buy any of the course textbooks. I spent maybe $800-900 for all of the books, equipment, and software (iPad apps) I've used. But if you want to buy all the required course books, and/or you're planning to print out thousands of pages of notes and handouts over the course of a year, your expenses could differ.

But remember, it's better to budget too much and have money left over than to not budget enough and have trouble paying bills at the end of each semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a checklist that shows everything we need to do before school starts? It seems like everything on Pulse is scattered on different pages..if there was a master list that showed what we still needed to do, it would be very helpful.

Also, are drug tests part of the background check?

Thanks!

Is there a checklist that shows everything we need to do before school starts? It seems like everything on Pulse is scattered on different pages..if there was a master list that showed what we still needed to do, it would be very helpful.

Also, are drug tests part of the background check?

Thanks!

The link to registration page from pulse should have the checklist. And it will have green check marks for what you have completed. It may not be fully available yet though.

I don't believe drug tests are being started for incoming first years but don't quote me on that.

Can current student comment on how active DMU's waitlist is? We just received our quartile rankings today and I'm evaluating my chances of actually getting an acceptance. Thanks

Can current student comment on how active DMU's waitlist is? We just received our quartile rankings today and I'm evaluating my chances of actually getting an acceptance. Thanks

When I spoke with them in December, I think she said 25-40% of the wait list eventually gets accepted, depending on the year. I know they have admitted some from the wait list this year already. Good luck!

The link to registration page from pulse should have the checklist. And it will have green check marks for what you have completed. It may not be fully available yet though.

I don't believe drug tests are being started for incoming first years but don't quote me on that.
They are talking about doing it for incoming first years so I would be prepared just in case.

I was accepted yesterday off the waitlist. I was in the 1st quartile. Just a heads up for everyone waiting.

Little stuck on what to do now that i was so stuck on KCU.

I had the choice between these two. Both schools are going to get you where you want to go if you put in the work. Love the community here. Go where you felt most comfortable.

I will not be taking the interview because I will be attending another MD school next year, but just a heads up they are still sending out emails for interviews for the alternative list. I got the email at 1:53pm today. Just thought it might give a few people some hope if they were looking for a last ditch miracle. You may still have one in store!

I will not be taking the interview because I will be attending another MD school next year, but just a heads up they are still sending out emails for interviews for the alternative list. I got the email at 1:53pm today. Just thought it might give a few people some hope if they were looking for a last ditch miracle. You may still have one in store!
Did u get a rejection email beforehand?

@JPickos9989, I could not find "the link to registration page from pulse" for the checklist and green check marks. But like you said, perhaps it's not available yet.

Last edited:
Did u get a rejection email beforehand?
Nope. I think I just finished the DO application a bit late in the cycle and from the sound of the email they never looked at my application until now. They must be reviewing the applications that were turned in later on in the cycle and awarding a select few final spots.

Just accepted off the waitlist and I will definitely be attending. Good luck to anyone still waiting. Don't lose hope, the list is still moving.

Reactions: 4 users
The countdown is on... For any 2nd years or beyond from DMU, what do you recommend having handy either at school or home to make school just a little bit more bearable??

Edit: aside from the obvious... Beer

I just wonder is any of DMU's missions related to serving the underserved populations (or rural environment)?

I cannot tell from its mission statement "To improve lives in our global community by educating diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate health professionals."

The countdown is on... For any 2nd years or beyond from DMU, what do you recommend having handy either at school or home to make school just a little bit more bearable??

Edit: aside from the obvious... Beer

Your own pool cue(s), caffeinated mints, your own printer, and a bear.

If you have questions about other prospective inclusions, fire away! :cool:

So, I've been accepted to DMU, and plan on attending this fall. However, I got an email recently saying that there was a problem with my background check. I'm guessing it has to do with an underage drinking ticket I got in college. I didn't put it on my application, because underage drinking is considered an ordinance violation in my state, not a felony or misdemeanor. Bonehead move I know, but I talked with my local police department who said that it doesn't need to go on employment applications. I wrote to DMU explaining my situation, but I'm still kind of freaking out. Is this a type of thing that offers get rescinded over?

Sincerely,

Worried

So, I've been accepted to DMU, and plan on attending this fall. However, I got an email recently saying that there was a problem with my background check. I'm guessing it has to do with an underage drinking ticket I got in college. I didn't put it on my application, because underage drinking is considered an ordinance violation in my state, not a felony or misdemeanor. Bonehead move I know, but I talked with my local police department who said that it doesn't need to go on employment applications. I wrote to DMU explaining my situation, but I'm still kind of freaking out. Is this a type of thing that offers get rescinded over?

Sincerely,

Worried

Did you ever get this figured out?