Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to second this, any ideas?
IIs are sent via email. They send you a link and assign you a new username and password to book your appointment. This is not reflected on the original secondary submission page. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IIs are sent via email. They send you a link and assign you a new username and password to book your appointment. This is not reflected on the original secondary submission page. Hope this helps.
Now makes sense, thank you

II. The only dates available are in September. Anyone else staying in hotels in Des Moines?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping for one, been complete for a while. Do you know what day/days they typically send them out (like some schools only do every friday).

I combed through last years thread but couldn't really find a pattern. I think we'll see another batch of invites soon though

I am hoping for one, been complete for a while. Do you know what day/days they typically send them out (like some schools only do every friday). Seems like they are on a monday-wednesday thing?
Hopefully we get some good news soon! I received the completed application email 7/3.

I combed through last years thread but couldn't really find a pattern. I think we'll see another batch of invites soon though

There isn't really a pattern for interview invites but the admissions committee meets Mondays and Thursdays to divvy out acceptances and what not from what was discussed at interview day last year.

Current OMS-I here at DMU, so my class experience is somewhat limited but I can try to help answer questions about interview day and whatever might come up.

There isn't really a pattern for interview invites but the admissions committee meets Mondays and Thursdays to divvy out acceptances and what not from what was discussed at interview day last year.

Current OMS-I here at DMU, so my class experience is somewhat limited but I can try to help answer questions about interview day and whatever might come up.
I want to second this. I'd be more than willing to answer questions

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email today stating that I was going under review. I sent 5 total letters to DMU, but I didn't think I had the appropriate type of letters to go under review.

Should I just run with it?

I got an email today stating that I was going under review. I sent 5 total letters to DMU, but I didn't think I had the appropriate type of letters to go under review.

Should I just run with it?

According to the website:
upload_2014-8-15_11-23-33.png

1st year here. Just got the email today letting us know that interviews were starting up soon. We just finished our first real week of classes. It's a lot of information to handle, but I really love the school and the atmosphere so far. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. It makes the tough schedule and major life changes a whole lot easier to deal with.

I look forward to someday being as helpful to you guys as the current 2nd years are to us. Good luck, and I hope to see many of you on campus soon!

1st year here. Just got the email today letting us know that interviews were starting up soon. We just finished our first real week of classes. It's a lot of information to handle, but I really love the school and the atmosphere so far. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. It makes the tough schedule and major life changes a whole lot easier to deal with.

I look forward to someday being as helpful to you guys as the current 2nd years are to us. Good luck, and I hope to see many of you on campus soon!
Do 1st years help with interviews?

Completed secondary a few hours ago. Looks like a fairly quick turnaround. GPAs indicated so far are quite a bit better than mine, so keeping my fingers crosssed.
Good luck to everyone else!

Anyone know if your application goes under review before your MCAT scores are in- or do they hold it until the get the score and then review it?

Completed secondary a few hours ago. Looks like a fairly quick turnaround. GPAs indicated so far are quite a bit better than mine, so keeping my fingers crosssed.
Good luck to everyone else!

How's your MCAT? My undergrad GPA is well below my DMU class average.

How's your MCAT? My undergrad GPA is well below my DMU class average.
MCAT is a 32 (V8, B10, P14), with a 3.14 cGPA, and 3.39 sGPA. Non-traditional with 70 hours recent coursework around a 3.9, and that was mostly pre-req retakes or upper division biology/chemistry for biochem degree. How did you compare?

MCAT is a 32 (V8, B10, P14), with a 3.14 cGPA, and 3.39 sGPA. Non-traditional with 70 hours recent coursework around a 3.9, and that was mostly pre-req retakes or upper division biology/chemistry for biochem degree. How did you compare?

33 (10, 11, 12), both GPA averages around 3.3. Grad school GPA (mostly non-science, no undergrad retakes) ~3.85. I'm non-traditional as well.

33 (10, 11, 12), both GPA averages around 3.3. Grad school GPA (mostly non-science, no undergrad retakes) ~3.85. I'm non-traditional as well.
That's a nice and balanced MCAT. Great work. I've got 7 hrs grad school so far, will also be mostly non-science (MPH), but no grades were posted at time of application.
You starting classes next week?

Anyone know if your application goes under review before your MCAT scores are in- or do they hold it until the get the score and then review it?
They hold it until your scores come in. I got an email last week from them saying that they received everything and were waiting on my MCAT scores to be sent before they'd review it. They also said that after your scores come in, it takes a couple weeks to process before your file is considered complete.

They hold it until your scores come in. I got an email last week from them saying that they received everything and were waiting on my MCAT scores to be sent before they'd review it. They also said that after your scores come in, it takes a couple weeks to process before your file is considered complete.

Thanks! I am getting so good at waiting! ;)

I'm on hold. How likely is it that I would actually get an interview haha?

II today!!! Second one this cycle, and yes I know you all want to know the boring stuff. Secondary invite 7/2, Completed 7/13. cGPA and sGPA both at 3.2, MCAT 27. 20 years as a paramedic and thousands of hour volunteer work.

Reactions: 4 users
1st anyone want to split a hotel room on the 10th for the interview on the 11th?
2cd anyone out there know which hospitals are used for the clinical rotations, I can find information on the podiatry rotations not the osteopathic rotations. Just trying to prepare myself so that I have all the information I can find before the interview.

1st anyone want to split a hotel room on the 10th for the interview on the 11th?
2cd anyone out there know which hospitals are used for the clinical rotations, I can find information on the podiatry rotations not the osteopathic rotations. Just trying to prepare myself so that I have all the information I can find before the interview.

Not sure how much specific information you will get in regards to hospitals that are used as DMU seems to keep that info locked up away from the DMU site, but the obvious ones are Iowa Methodist and Mercy here in Des Moines. Then there are a lot throughout the state of Iowa. Other sites include Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Utah, Florida, Texas. There are others that I can't think of and rotations change some from year to year.

I'm just naming the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Currently a first year so clinical rotation knowledge is limited but it has been grazed during orientation and what not.

Not sure how much specific information you will get in regards to hospitals that are used as DMU seems to keep that info locked up away from the DMU site, but the obvious ones are Iowa Methodist and Mercy here in Des Moines. Then there are a lot throughout the state of Iowa. Other sites include Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Utah, Florida, Texas. There are others that I can't think of and rotations change some from year to year.

I'm just naming the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Currently a first year so clinical rotation knowledge is limited but it has been grazed during orientation and what not.
Thanks, I find it interesting that they keep it so tight lipped. Not sure why it has to be like that, but all well.

Thanks, I find it interesting that they keep it so tight lipped. Not sure why it has to be like that, but all well.
Yea it is odd... especially because at the end of the secondary they make you sign that little thing making you "aware" of the fact that you may have to travel for the clinical years. Yet they wont tell you exactly where they could be sending you? I mean a lot of DO schools ship you all over the place, I understand that, but the other schools at least give you a list of places that it could be at.

Anyone joining me on 8/29? lol it is so closeee!!

Yeah wish I could shed some more light on that but I don't have the experience on campus here yet. I do know they are working to add new sites in Wisconsin and California and some other states. If ya have any other questions feel free.

Yeah wish I could shed some more light on that but I don't have the experience on campus here yet. I do know they are working to add new sites in Wisconsin and California and some other states. If ya have any other questions feel free.
What is it with DO programs and having so many "clinical campuses?" Especially ones in other states.