Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on 9/4 and there were 15 of us there that day... so in fact it could be even 30 candidates being reviewed from the 8/28 and 8/29 interview dates! I am sure it does take time to review each and every interviewee. Wishing you the best of luck and that you should receive your decision very soon, @premed199088 !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
After your acceptance, how long do you have to put the deposit down?

After your acceptance, how long do you have to put the deposit down?

I think it depends on when you interview, but early interviews have until December 15th I believe, if my memory serves me correct. After that date interviewees offered an acceptance have 30 days. The first deposit is 500, the second deposit of 500 isn't due until April or May or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does the interview day typically last? Working on flights and wondering if I should book a later flight after the interview or the following morning.

Interview day runs 8am to 3pm ish.
Awesome, thanks! I found a flight leaving at 5 so I'm thinking I'll have ample time to grab a taxi and head out. Anyone else interviewing with me on Halloween?!

No problemo! I won't be interviewing with you, but I'll be having lunch with and giving you guys a tour of campus that day

Fingers crossed,
Awesome, thanks! I found a flight leaving at 5 so I'm thinking I'll have ample time to grab a taxi and head out. Anyone else interviewing with me on Halloween?!
That was what I did and I had plenty of time to get to the airport. I also used the hotel shuttle which was free to get from DMU to the airport.

Fingers crossed,

That was what I did and I had plenty of time to get to the airport. I also used the hotel shuttle which was free to get from DMU to the airport.
Excellent! If you don't mind sharing, where did you stay?

The Hampton Inn by the airport, nothing special about it, except the cost was better like 90 before tax, and it had an ok free breakfast. For the several hours I was there it worked out fine (got in at 10p).

The Hampton Inn by the airport, nothing special about it, except the cost was better like 90 before tax, and it had an ok free breakfast. For the several hours I was there it worked out fine (got in at 10p).
Sweet. Looks like I'll be bunking at the Hampton. Is it going to be really awkward that I will have my bag with me when I show up on interview day?

Sweet. Looks like I'll be bunking at the Hampton. Is it going to be really awkward that I will have my bag with me when I show up on interview day?
Ask another interviewee if you can put your bag in their car while you interview. Just a thought.

The school had a large closet we could put our things in on interview day. I don't think it would be an issue to put your bags there.

Members don't see this ad :)

The school had a large closet we could put our things in on interview day. I don't think it would be an issue to put your bags there.

There is a closet in the admissions office that interviewees can store things, coats and the like, I don't think luggage would be an issue. As long as you aren't packing huge bags and multiple of them.

Reactions: 1 user
That is were I stored my luggage, and I also changed in the bathroom for the flight home into a pair of jeans and tshirt in the bathroom just down the hall from admissions.

There is a closet in the admissions office that interviewees can store things, coats and the like, I don't think luggage would be an issue. As long as you aren't packing huge bags and multiple of them.
I'm a pretty simple guy, were talking a pair of scrubs from work the day I fly in and some gym shorts.... Could probably fit in a grocery bag if it didn't look so unprofessional haha

Does the committee meet once a week-didnt know if acceptances would be every tuesday or more offten? Just wondering if anyone had any extra info :)

Does the committee meet once a week-didnt know if acceptances would be every tuesday or more offten? Just wondering if anyone had any extra info :)

I believe calling admissions would get you more info than on here. I remember it being mentioned them meeting twice a week last cycle.

Looking spiffy guys!

I'm guessing those of us who interviewed on the 4th and 5th wont hear back until the end of next week then if those who interviewed in August are just hearing now? Waiting is so hard :/

I'm guessing those of us who interviewed on the 4th and 5th wont hear back until the end of next week then if those who interviewed in August are just hearing now? Waiting is so hard :/
It's the hurry up and wait! But, at least we were in near the first round which is always good.

I'm from a suburb of Des Moines, so let me know if you want any insight about the area! Good luck!

Duh.
Like you all aren't creepin on us?

:p
True. They should change "Interview Day" to "Day Where Prospective Students Creep On Current Students". Much more logical.

Wait listed this morning. Good luck to you all hope you get good results and find a happy home. Looks like I am going to RVU since I was accepted there. This is a great school, and I really liked my interactions with everyone I had there. Definitely was one of my top choices.

Accepted :) about 30 minutes ago

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wait listed this morning. Good luck to you all hope you get good results and find a happy home. Looks like I am going to RVU since I was accepted there. This is a great school, and I really liked my interactions with everyone I had there. Definitely was one of my top choices.
Best 4 years toward residency at RVU :)

Accepted this morning after interviewing 9/4 :soexcited:Loved DMU, I'm beyond excited!!

Reactions: 7 users
Much to my surprise I was accepted, interviewed 9/4 and probably had the most awkward interview of my life. Glad it worked out! I am going to be a doc!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Much to my surprise I was accepted, interviewed 9/4 and probably had the most awkward interview of my life. Glad it worked out! I am going to be a doc!!!!

Congr....doc :)

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted... Talk to you guys in June/ July when there is movement.

Accepted! First one so I'm beyond excited!!!!!! Interviewed 9/5 and had a great time, could definitely see myself here! Does anybody know when scholarship information comes out? Is it before or after the initial down payment to reserve our seat?

Interviewed 9/4 accepted this morning. Super excited! Loved the environment and people at DMU!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else interviewing on Oct 31? I can hardly wait, but needed to take a later date to get time off work.

Grats to all those accepted! I can only imagine how exciting that must be.

Is anyone else interviewing on Oct 31? I can hardly wait, but needed to take a later date to get time off work.

Grats to all those accepted! I can only imagine how exciting that must be.
See ya there on Halloween!!

Anyone know if significant others/family could join in on 2nd look weekend?

Most definitely. There is a club for significant others of medical students here on campus as well.
Awesome! Thanks, I did see that club and my fiance will be joining :)

Ps. Just wanted to say thanks to all the current students there for being friendly faces and all the encouraging help and tips and everything else. We really appreciated your presence and everything else you guys did for us!

Got the acceptance email this morning!

Reactions: 4 users
Those accepted, CONGRATS and also please share your stats?