Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially in Des Moines! If anyone else interviewing or current students want to meet up for dinner or something later pm me!

Members don't see this ad.

Officially in Des Moines! If anyone else interviewing or current students want to meet up for dinner or something later pm me!
Can you post some photos of the school and the neighborhood?

Can you post some photos of the school and the neighborhood?
The only photo you need:
1411573509023.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My reaction when I'm on SDN in the lecture hall and I see a DMU DO-18 mystery classmate post:

tumblr_inline_msk4s3EnfY1qz4rgp.gif

And thanks to some of you for making it easy :)
*cough* JPickos *cough*

Reactions: 1 user
My reaction when I'm on SDN in the lecture hall and I see a DMU DO-18 mystery classmate post:

tumblr_inline_msk4s3EnfY1qz4rgp.gif

And thanks to some of you for making it easy :)
*cough* JPickos *cough*
I feel like everyone knows who I am lol

Reactions: 1 users
Been under review for over a month now. Glad I haven't received any bad news yet, but not exactly feeling like I'll receive good news either. My cGPA is a real bad spot for my application, currently at 3.16, while my sGPA isn't so bad 3.38, and my MCAT is a strong 32. I'm not from the midwest, I've very clearly stated my desire to work with underserved, but in urban settings.
After being rejected from MU-COM, DMU would be pretty high up on my list if I thought I stood much of a chance of getting in. Anyone care to chance me?

EDIT: super solid upward trend of 70 hours at roughly 3.9 (biology & chem pre-reqs and upper division mainly)

Members don't see this ad :)
Been under review for over a month now. Glad I haven't received any bad news yet, but not exactly feeling like I'll receive good news either. My cGPA is a real bad spot for my application, currently at 3.16, while my sGPA isn't so bad 3.38, and my MCAT is a strong 32. I'm not from the midwest, I've very clearly stated my desire to work with underserved, but in urban settings.
After being rejected from MU-COM, DMU would be pretty high up on my list if I thought I stood much of a chance of getting in. Anyone care to chance me?

EDIT: super solid upward trend of 70 hours at roughly 3.9 (biology & chem pre-reqs and upper division mainly)
I think you have a good chance. Did you apply late?

I think you have a good chance. Did you apply late?
Nah, I've been complete with them since 8/20. My ECs show years of commitment and work with urban underserved, but after some of my rejections, I'm not sure how well I came off in my personal statement and essays. Plus, that cGPA ain't pretty.
DMU shoots for all-stars, right?

Interviewing here on monday! Kinda nervous since it's my first. Does the office have any room for our bags (never mind I just saw on the last page that they do)? Also does anyone have any advice on where to explore if I have a day in Des Moines to myself. I'm flying in early Sunday morning.

Last edited:
@SynapticDoctah my other deficiency is no DO shadowing. I would expect that will be a bigger issue at the originals than some of the newer schools. Thanks for the encouragement though, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Probably wont hear anything until my designated 60 days are up. At which point I'll be put on hold. ;)

Interviewing here on monday! Kinda nervous since it's my first. Does the office have any room for our bags? Also does anyone have any advice on where to explore if I have a day in Des Moines to myself. I'm flying in early Sunday morning.
Zombie burger

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing here on monday! Kinda nervous since it's my first. Does the office have any room for our bags (never mind I just saw on the last page that they do)? Also does anyone have any advice on where to explore if I have a day in Des Moines to myself. I'm flying in early Sunday morning.

Exile Brewery. Its 1 street over from the downtown art garden and has a Sunday happy hour.
I suppose I'm obligated to mention Fong's pizza which is over near Court Street.

My brother in law just started at DMU this August. He is a non traditional 34 year old student, not from the midwest, 3.3 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 27 mcat. He was initially put on the waitlist after being accepted to 3 or 4 other schools, ultimately decided to go to RVU. Two weeks before moving his family to Colorado he got the call from DMU. So yes there is hope. (His GPA might have been slightly higher than that, but i know at one point he told me his GPA was around 3.2)

Nah, I've been complete with them since 8/20. My ECs show years of commitment and work with urban underserved, but after some of my rejections, I'm not sure how well I came off in my personal statement and essays. Plus, that cGPA ain't pretty.
DMU shoots for all-stars, right?

DMU doesn't shoot for all-stars per se. We are a well-rounded group the class of 2018. The numbers aren't a very good indicator of interview chances. It is more about your EC's and fit with the atmosphere. Your personal stateKent plays a big factor with DMU as well. DMU will easily reject a 30+ MCAT in favor of a lower set of numbers if the individual fits better with the atmosphere and the goals of DMU. The same goes for the reverse scenario.

In reality, there is no perfect combination to get in. You are fine with the numbers you have. If you haven't been rejected or put on hold yet, you still stand a good chance to get an interview.

I also received my interview invite very close to day 59 or so. Ultimately accepted and I currently love it here, so don't put the cart before the horse just yet.

Reactions: 1 users
@Higherprimate @JPickos9989 thanks for the feedback.
It does feel like a number of schools really focus on fit. Guess I'll find out soon if they feel I'm a good match. There are some other schools out there that I do feel like are a good fit for me. Not many schools specifically speak to serving urban underserved populations, so it can be hard to tell which schools (outside of the obvious ones) have a real interest in those type of students

@Higherprimate @JPickos9989 thanks for the feedback.
It does feel like a number of schools really focus on fit. Guess I'll find out soon if they feel I'm a good match. There are some other schools out there that I do feel like are a good fit for me. Not many schools specifically speak to serving urban underserved populations, so it can be hard to tell which schools (outside of the obvious ones) have a real interest in those type of students
Well I'm pulling for ya. I'm waiting to see if I get an II here as well. I'd love to go to DMU, definitely in my top 3.

Well I'm pulling for ya. I'm waiting to see if I get an II here as well. I'd love to go to DMU, definitely in my top 3.
'Preciate it! Pulling for you too. I've seen you pick up at least one solid interview (MU-COM) so far, and I'll bet you grab a few more.
I'm heading to ACOM and TUN-COM next month, and if I end up at either of them, I'll be in a better spot than I could have imagined a year ago.

They do have a decent size closet where you can keep your stuff!

I'm in town already for an interview tomorrow (Friday). Is anyone else interviewing here tomorrow?

Interviewed today, thinking about doing a full write-up if people are interested. Otherwise, feel free to pm me with questions

Today marks the 2-week mark since my interview and boy am I antsy!! Come on DMU!!!

The numbers aren't a very good indicator of interview chances.

I can attest to this. I have a fairly high gpa and 29 mcat - have received 2 MD II but got put on hold pretty early at DMU. Stinks cause I would really love to stay in the Midwest and I've heard DMU is fantastic. The DO that I shadowed went there and she spoke very highly of the school.

I just interviewed here and was completely impressed with the school, community, and culture. I would be elated to get in and attend! 3 weeks is going to be a long time to wait to hear back!

Reactions: 5 users
O NO! I may have to do a last minute cancellation. My flight from Chicago to Des Moines tomorrow appears to be canceled.... I don't know how else I would get there last minute...

O NO! I may have to do a last minute cancellation. My flight from Chicago to Des Moines tomorrow appears to be canceled.... I don't know how else I would get there last minute...

Call admissions first thing in the morning and see if you can reschedule. I think they will be more lenient with you as you're coming from the east coast and the whole fire disaster at ohare and midway really isn't something you can control. switching flights isn't an option? I understand that would be insanely expensive I'm sure, but potentially flying into Milwaukee then to DSM? Just trying to think of some ideas for you

Your airline may be willing to work with you as well depending on who you're flying.

Call admissions first thing in the morning and see if you can reschedule. I think they will be more lenient with you as you're coming from the east coast and the whole fire disaster at ohare and midway really isn't something you can control. switching flights isn't an option? I understand that would be insanely expensive I'm sure, but potentially flying into Milwaukee then to DSM? Just trying to think of some ideas for you

Your airline may be willing to work with you as well depending on who you're flying.

I'm on hold now to see what can be done (50 minute estimated wait LOL!). If they can divert me to one that is not to much more expensive i'll do that but if its double the price or something I will be unable to afford it :(. Hopefully DMU will just let me reschedule, I have a feeling I won't be the only one.

I'm on hold now to see what can be done (50 minute estimated wait LOL!). If they can divert me to one that is not to much more expensive i'll do that but if its double the price or something I will be unable to afford it :(. Hopefully DMU will just let me reschedule, I have a feeling I won't be the only one.

I can't see DMU not letting you reschedule. The cancellations of the all the flights happened this week. You may potentially be able to get a flight to Minneapolis-St.Paul if not Milwaukee, if that's still on the table. I'm sure there are hundreds of people calling to fix flights

Can you drive?

Well I'm a 18 hour drive which I don't think I can do safely without a few breaks so it doesn't appear to be to viable :p (Driving from Chicago was not a option since a few rental cars places I checked were all booked)

I can't see DMU not letting you reschedule. The cancellations of the all the flights happened this week. You may potentially be able to get a flight to Minneapolis-St.Paul if not Milwaukee, if that's still on the table. I'm sure there are hundreds of people calling to fix flights

I just got off the phone with them and they said my only option would be to take a nonstop flight from NYC to Des Moines and back with would have been about $1000.00 ($390.00 original fare) which I simply can't afford. I accepted a travel voucher instead and will hopefully use it on getting to DMU if they let me reschedule. Just emailed them and will call them to confirm they know I'm not coming on Monday. Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll stop by and say hi to today's interviewers. Idk if this has been mentioned but there are always 1st and 2nd years around that you can ask questions

JUST RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE EMAIL!!!!!!!!! interviewed on 9-12

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!!!! This is my top choice!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!!! 9 AM this morning! Interviewed 9/12. After sitting in the second quartile on the alternate list last year this feels SO FREAKING FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone else accepted!!!

Anyone able to comment on the laptops that the school provdes? Do they provide them right away? Just wondering how it works. Thanks :)