Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow accepted! So excited, I loved this school

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Alternate list...does anyone know if there is a ton of movement on that list or no?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II!!! complete 8/10 ......anyone know if it's possible to schedule an interview for November even though only October dates are available?

Reactions: 2 users
Just interviewed here! Surprisingly I didn't get a good vibe from this school!

Do you mind elaborating?

My interview group was exceptionally quiet and I didn't end up speaking with anyone. No medical students wished us luck or anything, they just stared, so that was weird lol. I just didn't get the feeling that I would thrive at this school for some reason :/

My interview group was exceptionally quiet and I didn't end up speaking with anyone. No medical students wished us luck or anything, they just stared, so that was weird lol. I just didn't get the feeling that I would thrive at this school for some reason :/

Hmm that's weird. My group seemed pretty cool. And out tour guides helped us out with what to expect from the interview and encouraged us. Sorry you didn't have a good experience!

Hmm that's weird. My group seemed pretty cool. And out tour guides helped us out with what to expect from the interview and encouraged us. Sorry you didn't have a good experience!

It's all good :) and congratulations!!

Hey sorry you didn't get the same reception everyone else has. This has been a rough week for 1st and 2nd years. 1st years had biochem on Monday, OMM practical Monday/Tuesday, and anatomy tomorrow. 2nd years had their GI test and spal this week and maybe more.

Hopefully you get accepted and get a better feel of DMU.

I interviewed here yesterday too! The students did look incredibly stressed, but all the ones I made eye contact with, smiled and waved. I met friendlier students outside of DMU and away from the hustle. People around DMU love DMU, hah!

I can't talk for my interview group; I thought we talked each other's ears off. Everyone seemed friendly enough and the students leading the tours were great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post Secondary hold just now!

Hey sorry you didn't get the same reception everyone else has. This has been a rough week for 1st and 2nd years. 1st years had biochem on Monday, OMM practical Monday/Tuesday, and anatomy tomorrow. 2nd years had their GI test and spal this week and maybe more.

Hopefully you get accepted and get a better feel of DMU.

Thank you, I really appreciate that! The tour guides mentioned that they had many exams so I definitely understand :)

Rejected pre-interview! Goodluck everyone else. They gave me the boot.

Dang, just got a rejection today pre-interview. Submitted supplemental just about 60 days ago exactly. LM ~65, OOS.

pre-interview hold; completed Aug 11.

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview on 10/7 and was accepted on 10/13! I'm new to SDN and thought I would share my information to give some people some hope! I'm IS, MCAT 502, cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.79. My major is kinesiology, I have research experience, volunteering in ER and PT clinic, CNA, scribe, leadership role on campus, about 100 hours of physician shadowing, etc. The interview was very laid-back and the campus is beautiful! Definitely the interview I was the most comfortable in (when comparing to my interviews at KCU-COM and University of Iowa). I felt like they genuinely wanted to know more about me and the tasks I have accomplished and activities I have pursued. Still have hope in yourself! My MCAT isn't great so I was very worried I wouldn't be accepted anywhere, but BE YOURSELF, they will love you! :)

just got into Des Moines today for my interview tomorrow. Does anyone want to get dinner tonight? DM me!

I had my interview on 10/7 and was accepted on 10/13! I'm new to SDN and thought I would share my information to give some people some hope! I'm IS, MCAT 502, cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.79. My major is kinesiology, I have research experience, volunteering in ER and PT clinic, CNA, scribe, leadership role on campus, about 100 hours of physician shadowing, etc. The interview was very laid-back and the campus is beautiful! Definitely the interview I was the most comfortable in (when comparing to my interviews at KCU-COM and University of Iowa). I felt like they genuinely wanted to know more about me and the tasks I have accomplished and activities I have pursued. Still have hope in yourself! My MCAT isn't great so I was very worried I wouldn't be accepted anywhere, but BE YOURSELF, they will love you! :)

Congratulations! And welcome to SDN :)

Withdrawing II for acceptance at a different school. I hope it goes to someone in need! Good luck everyone

Hey All,

I'm a fourth year in the middle of applying to residency and I thought I'd come back to field some questions. I'll be brutally honest in my replies but I'll only reply to PM's. If you do message me please know that I can only get on here sporadically due to my schedule.

Note: In general I am happy that I came to DMU. But I have some criticisms. That's the best way to summarize things.

Please know that in 2020 (a.k.a. before ya'll graduate) osteopathic residencies will disappear. Or more accurately will be absorbed by the ACGME. That's not a bad thing per se. In fact, I think it's for the better of the profession. But it will greatly affect your chances at matching in ortho, neurosurg, derm, plastics, ophtho, and possibly general surgery as those fields are not DO friendly and it will take quite a while for them to become DO friendly. Most if not all other fields are very DO friendly, especially primary care, including radiology, anesthesiology, EM, neurology, OB/GYN. Do yourself a favor and look at this (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf) to see how competitive each field is for DO's.

PM me if you have any questions

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-interview hold email this morning. Complete 8/19 OOS MCAT 509 cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.1 :(

Pre-Interview hold today. Wondering how long it will take to hear back from them again.

Acceptance as well. Interviewed 10/14. One week turnaround is insane! Cannot believe this day finally came

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted, extremely surprised. Interviewed last Wednesday.

Accepted today! So excited! I hope you heard some good news too
I got the good news also! stoked on this school. loved the experience I had of Des Moines during Interview day.

Acceptance e mail this morning, interviewed 10/14.

Acceptance as well. Interviewed 10/14. One week turnaround is insane! Cannot believe this day finally came

Accepted, extremely surprised. Interviewed last Wednesday.

Accepted! Interviewed exactly one week ago

I got the good news also! stoked on this school. loved the experience I had of Des Moines during Interview day.

A bunch of rockstars came through these past few weeks! Congrats and welcome if you decide to matriculate. :thumbup:

Withdrew my app, was placed on hold a little bit ago. Good luck everyone!

What a great interview day! Very welcoming and relaxed :biglove:

Withdrew application and II. Goodluck!

I have my interview this upcoming week. Any tips from those who have already gone through the process?

I have my interview this upcoming week. Any tips from those who have already gone through the process?
DMU has a very active campus. It has a good feel to it, and there are always a ton of people around willing to answer your questions. Relax and enjoy the day planned out for you; this might be one of your most easygoing interviews. Your interview should be about 45 minutes or so, usually with a panel of 3, one of which is a current student. Congrats!

DMU has a very active campus. It has a good feel to it, and there are always a ton of people around willing to answer your questions. Relax and enjoy the day planned out for you; this might be one of your most easygoing interviews. Your interview should be about 45 minutes or so, usually with a panel of 3, one of which is a current student. Congrats!

Thanks for the advice! I'm really looking forward to the interview!