Description section on TMDSAS/AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KarlyMarlyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the description box for work/EC/volunteer activities for us to simply describe our job/activity/whatever or do admissions committees want us to reflect on our experiences in that section? For example, I worked at Chuck. E. Cheese during most of my undergrad years, so would I simple describe in the description box what I did as a cashier or should I briefly talk about how that experience is relevant to medicine? Obviously the personal statement is the place where they want us to reflect on our experiences, but I was just wondering about the description box.

Thanks to anyone who replies!!

Members don't see this ad.

First off if that is you in your profile picture I suggest you change it. Anonymity is a good friend on SDN.

I wrote what I did and reflected on what I learned or gained from the experience. For instance,"I worked throughout my undergrad years at this place. My responsibilities were to do this and that. Working for this company taught me a great deal about whatnot and helped me gain a new appreciation for this as well as making me self sufficient."

It doesn't have to directly relate to medicine but you could highlight abilities/characteristics that would make you a good physician.

Thanks that was really helpful. I really didn't think that just describing what I did at my job was sufficient enough, because then my application just looks like a job application. I'll add in what I gained from my experiences.
Yea, I just put a picture of myself up because that's what I normally do when it asks for a profile picture or whatever. I'm curious as to why it's better to be anonymous? Is it because there is individuals from medical schools on here? I'm honestly curious, as I'm not a regular on this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks that was really helpful. I really didn't think that just describing what I did at my job was sufficient enough, because then my application just looks like a job application. I'll add in what I gained from my experiences.
Yea, I just put a picture of myself up because that's what I normally do when it asks for a profile picture or whatever. I'm curious as to why it's better to be anonymous? Is it because there is individuals from medical schools on here? I'm honestly curious, as I'm not a regular on this forum.

SDN values privacy and there are bad people and lurkers reading the forum. So for your safety and privacy, it's advisable to remove your picture.