Desk Job Options for Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxglasshalffull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently working in retail. I have so many non pharmacy friends that work desk jobs in corporate and love their jobs. Their lunch break sometimes start at 11:30am and end at like 1pm. They go to the gym, yoga classes, etc during lunch!

I know this might sound ridiculous, but where does one find that kind of 9 - 5, chill, desk job as a pharmacist? I am willing to take a $40k paycut.

Im in CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Do you know these people, may be you could ask them...

I am very interested.. I studied in europe, and not sure about this NAPLEX... And I am keeping my options open about these kind of jobs...
Please keep me in the loop, I am also in CA

Hey!

One great option for desk jobs is the FDA. Their headquarters is located in Silver Spring, MD but they have other locations which I believe include California. During my rotation they worked 8.5 hour days including a 1 hour lunch break. Depending on which office/department they were in, they could work from home 2-3 days/week. Some offices had flex scheduling so they could come in anytime between 6-10 AM and work their 8.5 shift. The main campus had a gym with showers, a cafeteria, daycare, and shuttle to transport people from the metro or other campuses. The office floor I was on had a kitchen with a water cooler, fridge, microwave, the basics. They had nights, weekends, and holidays off in addition to starting out with 13 days of paid vacation and 13 sick days. It was an extremely relaxed and friendly environment.

Other options include hospitals, preferably as a clinical pharmacist. They seem to have their own desk, usually only work weekday morning shifts with the occasional weekend (once a month?), rotating holidays off.
Veteran's Affairs (the VA) - I haven't had any personal experience there but since it is a government facility I imagine they have the same or similar perks
Professor at a pharmacy school
HMO jobs
Industry
Possibly mail order pharmacy

I've tried to do a lot of research about what is out there for pharmacists other than retail. Our PharmD is extremely diverse but sometimes it takes a lot of research to figure out what the other options are. Most government jobs will give you what you seem to be looking for (minus the 1.5 hour lunch break lol). Check out usajobs.gov!