Desperately in need of timeline advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LevMyshkin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to MD schools 3 years ago with good EC's, overall GPA of 3.67, BCPM GPA of 3.55, and good LORs. I had the AAMC app filled out and waiting on my MCAT scores, but I didn't take it until late Aug. When I saw that I got a 25, I submitted anyway, even though I knew it was a lost cause. I was pretty devastated because I had been averaging 27-32 on my practice exams.

Fast forward until now. I have a family, and I have been working as an ER Tech since college. I want to re-apply this cycle, but I am just now beginning to review the material for the MCAT again. I'm confident that I can raise my score, but I have a horrible feeling in my gut that it won't be enough to compensate for my (again) late application. Add in the fact that I haven't added any real EC's to my application, and I don't know how to proceed. I know I want to re-apply, but I'm not sure if I should take the MCAT in late Aug/Sept and apply next June, or try to apply on this cycle while taking the MCAT late August. If possible, I also want to take something like biochem or genetics so that I can qualify to apply for a couple extra schools. Would it be smart to take the MCAT in late Aug/Sept and apply next June, while taking the additional courses next year? If I stand a decent chance of getting accepted in the upcoming cycle (MD or DO), I would prefer that. But with a late application and a long shot at getting a killer MCAT score, I'm not confident in my chances. I used all of the AAMC practice tests during my first go, and now I am hoping a few Berkley Review CBT's will suffice. I'm pretty sure I won't be ready for the MCAT before late August, and I will still be working part-time. I also feel terrible regret, because I could have began preparing a couple months ago and I wouldn't be in this predicament. I've already put off applying for a couple years because of personal reasons, but I know there is no excuse this year other than poor planning.

If any of you fine people would advise me, I would appreciate it greatly.

Members don't see this ad.

Take biochem and genetics and take the mcat next April and in June. Then you are sitting perfect, you took recent classes to show you can handle them, you gained knowledge for the mcat, etc. Don't worry about the mcat right now because you aren't ready to apply this year. Spend a year making your app perfect, save the money, and profit next year.

3.67/25 can probably get you into a DO school this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take biochem and genetics and take the mcat next April and in June. Then you are sitting perfect, you took recent classes to show you can handle them, you gained knowledge for the mcat, etc. Don't worry about the mcat right now because you aren't ready to apply this year. Spend a year making your app perfect, save the money, and profit next year.

If I could get the MCAT out of the way now (by Sept), then I would feel more at ease. I really don't want to push it back again if there's not a good reason to. I just hope 3 months will be enough time to remember and practice the material. I hate to delay applying for another year, but I am prepared to do that. I suppose a spring class or two would be doable, if they are offered, because a Sept MCAT will conflict with the beginning of the fall semester. (The extra courses aren't required for most of the schools I'm looking at. But I'm not sure how adcom's will view my being out of school for 4 years.) If there are holes in my plan, or it can be improved upon, I'm very open to criticism.

3.67/25 can probably get you into a DO school this cycle.

Sorry about that - the MCAT was actually taken in '08, so I don't believe my scores will still be valid at most schools. In any case, I really want to get around 30 so that I have a better shot at my choice schools (MD and DO).