Desperately looking for PGY2 position in IM/FM/Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorpio10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was introduced to this forum by a friend who gave me hope saying that I would get help here. I am an IMG doing prelim in IM, just finishing in 06/10--have been looking for PGY2 in IM/FM/Anesthesia--but have been unsuccessful. I had been very hopeful to find a spot as PY2, but now getting dejected. Would you guys/gals let me know of any openings in their programs (except West Coast, do not have california letter) as many spots go unadvertised at residentswap and spread by word of mouth. I have no friends from my own medical school in US and am looking to this forum for help.

Plz mail me/post here, any help in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. God Bless.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep on looking here and sign up for residency swap.
Get all your papers/scores/LOR's,etc. in order for IMMEDIATE email/fax.
Be prepared to explain why you haven't matched or stayed in your program.

With those obvious things out of the way, you can increase your chances by being proactive.
Call the secretary for Medical Education at med schools (as many as you can call) and ask them if they have any openings and, if not, what you can do to keep your name in their thoughts if an opening arises. Pretty straight forward, but it works!
Make time this weekend to send a brief email to ALL programs you possibly can to let them you know are available for a "last-minute" opening. Keep it brief, but let them know you desire a PGY2 opening. (atleast 100 programs this weekend should be your goal)...try to write to each individual program, not just the Med Ed secretary for the hospital/school.
Don't expect much until June 15th or so. That's when programs have to start "officially" hiring interns/residents. They will have sporadic openings at that time due to all sorts of things...visa troubles, failed drug tests, change of heart, etc. BE PREPARED TO JUMP ON THEM. If they have your name on file, you'll increase your chances.
If this doesn't work as of July 1st, don't give up....many programs will have openings during the summer for off-cycle tracks. Let them know in the email that you wish to be considered for them too.
If I think of more, I'll holla.:D

Thanks for the encouraging words..I did call up some of the programs..but the program co ordinators (if u can get to talk to them at all) seem all tooo eager to hang up on you..I wonder if they would if at all remember to keep me in "their thoughts"...but "no pain, no gain"...so I will keep trying...lets hope that something comes up by June 15th...I am now desperate...I am looking around NY,NJ, Ohio, Penn. If any information of openings do let me know.I have registered for residentswap...but no luck as yet.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an open position at university of Nevada in Reno Nevada. You should call to make some inquiries. The website should have contact info. This is a great program and very img friendly.

Thanks for the posts, but havent had any luck yet. First of all I am really surprised by the number of Candidates looking for PGY2 positions, I had 3 interviews, at each occasion I was told that they had 75-80 applications for 1 position and they called called from 9 to 20 candidates, but they regret to say that they have selected "their candidate" which is apparently not me. Why are there so many candidates?
Are there residents from previous batches too? Or there are prelims who are not choosing Anesthesiology and other programs, or there are unadvertised positions? Almost all of my collegues who found positions got it at unadvertised spots either via info from friends/collegues/ contacts. Unfortunately, I have none.
Still looking and do not want to wait for a year to find a second year. Anyone who knows of openings may PM me. Thanks for the support.

Thanks for the posts, but havent had any luck yet. First of all I am really surprised by the number of Candidates looking for PGY2 positions, I had 3 interviews, at each occasion I was told that they had 75-80 applications for 1 position and they called called from 9 to 20 candidates, but they regret to say that they have selected "their candidate" which is apparently not me. Why are there so many candidates?
Are there residents from previous batches too? Or there are prelims who are not choosing Anesthesiology and other programs, or there are unadvertised positions? Almost all of my collegues who found positions got it at unadvertised spots either via info from friends/collegues/ contacts. Unfortunately, I have none.
Still looking and do not want to wait for a year to find a second year. Anyone who knows of openings may PM me. Thanks for the support.