Desperately seeking Advice (low GPA) (Canadian undergraduate student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MusicBrandon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my cry for help :) Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

About me:

I'm currently studying Arts and Science, combining with political science, at McMaster. I didn't give a damn about education or grades when I got into university. I was actually planning to switch into a music program, and pursue the life of a composer.

My first year average was a C+, or about 68%.

In second year, I cared a bit more, but not by much. That average was a B, or 75%.

In third year, I failed organic chemistry in the first term. I didn't work hard enough. I didn't put in nearly enough time. At this point, I finally woke up. I stopped wasting time on frivolous things, and ended my third year with one F, and the rest being A-s, A s, and my first A+ of my university education. The sessional average for my third year was a B+, or about 78. Over the summer, I retook Organic Chemistry 1, as well as OChem 2, and got B+ on both.

I also wrote the MCAT the beginning of this September, and though the marks haven't been released yet, I am fairly confident with it, and especially with the verbal component.

I'm now in my fourth year, at the end of which I will have completed all my required courses for my degree. I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, which I expect to increase by the end. My question is: What do I do now? Should I take an extra year as a 'continuing student'? Will these grades be recognized by the selection committee? Should I take a masters in political science? What should I be doing over the summer/school year to increase my chances of getting in somewhere?

After many failures and mistakes due to my own laziness and ignorance, I am now completely resolute in becoming a doctor. I'm not doing it for money or prestige. My reasons are deeply emotional, and influenced by my perspective of this harsh world after taking many courses in political science.

I know I won't get in this year, or probably for the next few years if statistics group me into the majority. I am well aware that I should look into another profession. I know life will only become harder, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. I was hoping y'all would have some advice on what my next steps should be :)

Thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
2nd bachelors degree (2 years)

kill MCAT

apply everywhere, incl australian and irish schools that have degree reciprocity with Canada.

if you have a citizenship from ireland/EU or Australia, even better. you could stay there for residency then and go back to Canada and work as a family medicine doctor without needing to repeat residency or compete with IMGs.

2nd bachelors degree (2 years)

kill MCAT

apply everywhere, incl australian and irish schools that have degree reciprocity with Canada.

if you have a citizenship from ireland/EU or Australia, even better. you could stay there for residency then and go back to Canada and work as a family medicine doctor without needing to repeat residency or compete with IMGs.

All Australian and Irish schools have degree reciprocity meaning they are recognized in Canada. All FAIMER listed international schools are recognized for application to residency training, but if you want residency reciprocity meaning Canada recognizes your foreign residency credentials only the English speaking countries like Ireland, Aus, UK, US and NZ will be recognized in FM and maybe Psych and EM (for now), in other specialities they may only recognize US residency.

Keep in mind going abroad is risky, if you don't have the funds then taking loans can bankrupt you if you fail. Obtaining residency training in Canada is very difficult, as difficult as it is to get into medical school in the first place.