Determining Dental School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossiraptor863

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking to expand/narrow down the list of dental schools that I'll be applying to. Or I'd at least like to get some more opinions to talk with my pre-health advisor about. I'm a PA resident and Sociology major w/ 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 22AA/21TS/23PAT/24RC. My ECs are good in that I'm involved and have plenty of experience in dental offices. My community service hours and research opportunities are passable, not great, not bad.

Considering:
Pitt
Temple
Louisville
Maryland
Tufts
Buffalo
Case Western
Virginia Commonwealth
Marquette
Boston
NYU
A.T. Still
Penn
Michigan
Detroit
Rutgers

That's 16. I'd like to narrow it to 10. Pitt and Temple, being in-state, are locks. The pricetag on NYU, Boston, and Penn scare me, and they may be lower on my list unless there's great reason to leave them on. I'd love opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a subject matter expert, but if I was in your shoes, this is what I would do:

1. Calculate a rough cost of attendence for each school.
2. Sort list by COA.
3. Highlight schools that you think you would like the most based on location.
4. Also highlight schools (in a different color) that are more out-of-state friendly than average (the applicant/enrollee rates for OOS students is available via ADEA guide).
5. Select top 8-10 choices based on those metrics.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The way I think about it is how much money will I lose if I don't get in this year (one year less salary). That leads me to apply to more places...:)

Hey all,

I was looking to expand/narrow down the list of dental schools that I'll be applying to. Or I'd at least like to get some more opinions to talk with my pre-health advisor about. I'm a PA resident and Sociology major w/ 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 22AA/21TS/23PAT/24RC. My ECs are good in that I'm involved and have plenty of experience in dental offices. My community service hours and research opportunities are passable, not great, not bad.

Considering:
Pitt
Temple
Louisville
Maryland
Tufts
Buffalo
Case Western
Virginia Commonwealth
Marquette
Boston
NYU
A.T. Still
Penn
Michigan
Detroit
Rutgers

That's 16. I'd like to narrow it to 10. Pitt and Temple, being in-state, are locks. The pricetag on NYU, Boston, and Penn scare me, and they may be lower on my list unless there's great reason to leave them on. I'd love opinions!
Yeah I agree with your cost comment. My husband went to BU. I would take out NYU and Boston. Cost is too high.