Detroit bankruptcy... Any effect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2THDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I did get an interview at UDM on Nov 1.
I wanted to hear from people who's either from Detroit, or has been there to know what it's like to live in detroit.

I already live in a quasi-ghetto city of Richmond, VA, but I think Richmond is a lot better than what people in other cities think Richmond is.

What would be the living condition in Detroit once I get there? What kind of effects should I expect from their bankruptcy filed in 2013?

Any inputs will be appreciated.
Reason I am asking this in advance is because there's no guarantee that I will get additional interviews, so I am going to try and give it my best !

Members don't see this ad.

If you watch the news, the place is on life support. Last year the water was cut off for an area of the city because no one was paying the water bills. There are hopes that the city will rebound, but it's not gonna be like it was in the past. If you're smart, you should be fine. I wouldn't walk around with an iwatch though.

I wanted to hear from people who's either from Detroit, or has been there to know what it's like to live in detroit.

I already live in a quasi-ghetto city of Richmond, VA, but I think Richmond is a lot better than what people in other cities think Richmond is.

What would be the living condition in Detroit once I get there? What kind of effects should I expect from their bankruptcy filed in 2013?

Reason I am asking this in advance is because there's no guarantee that I will get additional interviews, so I am going to try and give it my best !

Most or all dental students at Mercy commute and live in a nearby town/suburbs. Detroit seems like something out of the Fallout video game. I considered applying here but I lived most of my childhood in depressing poverty and Id rather not re-live any part of it, also commuting stinks.
Heres some quick threads I found:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/detroit-location.1090223/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/detroit.1099446/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
watch 8 mile it's a movie for eminem which was filmed in Detroit, the city is bad but try to ask people who are D1 or D2, each school have a facebook group ask them about the city where they live on campus off campus.
And at the begin of the academic year many students who are in dental school ask new people who planning to live off campus to share with them an apartment

I asked this same question last year when I interviewed there. People said that with bankruptcy, there really isn't any effect on the school or patient pool. The school itself is very secure and they have a gated parking lot with a security guard and the school is located very close to freeway entrance.

As for living conditions, most UDM students live in a city called Royal Oak, MI which is 15 min away from UDM. Royal Oak is safe, trendy, and with a lot of young people apparently.

UDM is a solid school and of all the schools I interviewed at, it had hands down the nicest students and faculty. I would have gone but I got into a slightly cheaper school. To prepare for your interview look on the SDN dental interview list as a lot of the questions on there appeared during my interview. They through a lot of curveballs.

Also, I've seen some articles in the news saying that Detroit is slowly on the up-side of things. I think JP morgan or some other big bank is investing millions into trying to breathe life back into the city. Also, I think they finally got their bankruptcy issue resolved.

Be aware, that "breathing life back into a city" is not a 1 year, 5 year, or even 10 year process. The city's situation will improve, but it will take serious time an effort.

Reactions: 1 user
Be aware, that "breathing life back into a city" is not a 1 year, 5 year, or even 10 year process. The city's situation will improve, but it will take serious time an effort.
Yes and in no way was I implying that Detroit will be better quickly. However, it does have 'some' hope, unlike other bankrupted American cities in similar situations like Stockton, CA. Some improvement and investment is better than none.

Yes and in no way was I implying that Detroit will be better quickly. However, it does have 'some' hope, unlike other bankrupted American cities in similar situations like Stockton, CA. Some improvement and investment is better than none.
True, but it's not gonna get fixed by the time you leave dental school