Detroit Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't think I could find this info on predent, but is there anyone who knows detroit well enough to tell me if it's a dangerous location in the UDM area? I haven't done any research on the school yet but the thought came up because (maybe) the UDM interview invite isn't a glitch. Just did a google search and it says it's super dangerous but is the dental school area bad? Also looks like the university kind of acknowledges the dangers.. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, in Detroit we do not use public transportation (you HAVE to have your own car) so you won't be walking around school. The highway ramp is only 0.2 miles away from the dental school so you won't be driving a lot around Corktown campus. The campus is hopefully well secured by UDM Public Safety.

I am not saying that Detroit in general is considered as a safe area comparing to many other cities, but for you as a dental student who would live in the suburbs, you are safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wear a bullet proof vest under ur suit

immediate area around the campus is dangerous. That's why you MUST have a car.
Most students commute 15-20 minutes from Troy, Dearborn, Royal Oak (suburb areas that are very safe) or Windsor (Canada).
honestly, detroit is not as bad as ppl think.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, Detroit is dangerous but if you are smart you'll be fine :). By that I mean always know exactly how to get to where you are going, make sure your gas tank is filled up so you don't have to stop, don't take any side streets, etc.

The school itself is safe, though. The dental school is gated and there is a security guard right up at the front all the time.

Just make sure you live off campus in one of the suburbs - don't live in the city itself! The surrounding areas are super nice - especially in Oakland County, which houses some of the richest and safest cities in the country.