Diarrhea ruined my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UbuntuGM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back from interview at a school I really loved and I kill to get into.
Twas horrible...

It was just a one on one interview, and 15 minutes into it I had to excuse myself for the restroom. I was embaressed, but there was nothing I could do. As soon as I got up, thinking I was done with my bowel movement, I felt the need to go again and I ended up staying in the bathroom for about 12 minutes. I got back to the interview room and apologized perfusely. The interviewer seemed alright with it and we carried on with our interview. But we only talked for another 10 minutes before she concluded it. I'm not sure if she was upset with me leaving for the bathroom, but I am now terrified that my bowels have screwed me over at this school, which happens to be at the top of my OOS school list.

Should I call the admissions office and explain what happened? Would that even matter? They wouldn't offer a second interview anyway, right?

I am so friggin ashamed of myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Twas horrible...

It was just a one on one interview, and 15 minutes into it I had to excuse myself for the restroom. I was embaressed, but there was nothing I could do. As soon as I got up, thinking I was done with my bowel movement, I felt the need to go again and I ended up staying in the bathroom for about 12 minutes. I got back to the interview room and apologized perfusely. The interviewer seemed alright with it and we carried on with our interview. But we only talked for another 10 minutes before she concluded it. I'm not sure if she was upset with me leaving for the bathroom, but I am now terrified that my bowels have screwed me over at this school, which happens to be at the top of my OOS school list.

Should I call the admissions office and explain what happened? Would that even matter? They wouldn't offer a second interview anyway, right?

I don't think it'd hurt to call and ask if you could talk to the dean of admissions about it. Not sure if they'd grant a second interview, but maybe they could do something. At the very least maybe it would show them you really care what they think of you.

ib4everybodypoops

To be helpful, I agree with the above

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to call and explain. On the bright side, you did end up talking for 25 minutes, which doesn't seem that short of a time. And at least you had a reason for the interruption. My phone started beeping, and it was agony trying to smile and keep talking.

It cannot hurt to call the school. Also, if it happened again, I would probably explain to the interviewer as tactfully as possible. "I'm very sorry for this. I'm not feeling well today, and my digestive system is Benedict Arnolding me."

This is going to be one akward phone call

Don't know if it's exactly ethical, but you could say that your IBS was acting up... I mean... your bowel was being super irritable.

You do realize that if you call them, they'll refer to you as the "poop kid" at the adcom meetings, right?

You do realize that if you call them, they'll refer to you as the "poop kid" at the adcom meetings, right?

In this day and age where every pre-med is trying to make themselves a unique applicant...this could help.

If I were to re-apply, I'd put that in my personal statement and secondary applications about a "distressing" situation

Ugh I got some virus and ended up puking like 4 times during my Stanford interview day... and I got rejected. Double ouch.

Yeah if you feel like it OP. Give the admissions director or dean of admissions a phone call or e-mail just letting them know you were very sick and that you're hoping it did not affect your interview/determination of your application status.

Cole the OP would probably just mention that he/she was sick/ill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you know this might be the most original thread title I've ever seen. :thumbup:

Pretty much. I know i would be calling you something like that. I'd actually probably take your name and use the best fitting fecal allusion.

Like Diarrhea Dave or Poopy Paul

I guess to all those obsessed with med school this would be a small price to pay.

I saw this movie once, it was van wilder right?

Are you really considering telling an admissions office that you had to take a ****? Really?

I kinda wanna make the call for him. It would be so fun. Like start crying about your diarrhea.

He probably is already referred as such. I mean dont you think the interviewer would have wrote on her notes "12 min restroom break :eek:" What else are you going to do in the restroom for 12 mins?

Anyways, not trying to be mean, just saying there really is no harm and calling at this point. Say something tactful as BBender recommended, and maybe theyll sympathize.

He probably is already referred as such. I mean dont you think the interviewer would have wrote on her notes "12 min restroom break :eek:" What else are you going to do in the restroom for 12 mins?
Maybe interviewing at his top choice was a little too exciting for him to handle...

Hey man, it happens to the best of us. Don't worry about it, poop kid!

I'm sure your not the first that this has happened to, this might actually help you in the long run.

If worst comes to worst at least you have a funny poop story to laugh about with friends :thumbup:

I would in the least call/email the admissions office and speak to someone about your interview experience. Someone needs to know you had "something messing with you" down there so they don't think "oh gosh, she left for 12 minutes doing god knows what"...because now they'll know your "IBS was flaming up."

Valid, but awkward reason. :)

Was it "nervous poop" or did you just have too much coffee?

Go to a doctors office and get a note saying you were legitimately sick..:idea:

Are you really considering telling an admissions office that you had to take a ****? Really?
This. If you can pull this off in a way that isn't extremely awkward or offensive, you're a God among men.

Maybe interviewing at his top choice was a little too exciting for him to handle...
Yo guys, is diarrhea an EC? Please halp, I've spent at least 10 hours a week on it for the past 5 years.

This. If you can pull this off in a way that isn't extremely awkward or offensive, you're a God among men.
I have to say I really don't think this is that weird, he's not going to talk about how violent his movement was in the bathroom, he's just going to say he was sick and explain why he had to leave the room for a third of the interview.
Yo guys, is diarrhea an EC? Please halp, I've spent at least 10 hours a week on it for the past 5 years.
:eek:

I have to say I really don't think this is that weird, he's not going to talk about how violent his movement was in the bathroom, he's just going to say he was sick and explain why he had to leave the room for a third of the interview.

:eek:

:thumbup: I laughed out loud, and I will announce this every time I do.

RRRRRROOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFhm9aQ9wl4[/YOUTUBE]

This one is even classier:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUENhx8sgE&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Twas horrible...

Wow OP that is really unfortunate, but don't blame yourself. These things happen sometimes when your least prepared for it. As you said there didn't seem to be any hard feelings with the interviewer, maybe try to get in touch and explain to the interviewer somehow? Stay strong.

Was it "nervous poop" or did you just have too much coffee?

I had coffee the morning of, and I normally never drink coffee. Could that have been it?

This is absolutely humiliating as I didn't realize that I am probably that poop kid now.

I despair...

If only I were a nontrad with incredibly unique EC's and a compelling reason to pursue neurology :cool:

For some reason I feel like combat sports are a gray-area EC.

I'm listing my BJJ belt, but I'm thinking it could possibly hurt my chances.

"Hello, Yes.....thank you, that's a good question. While learning to choke people to death and break limbs I suddenly realized that I'd rather be resuscitating people and repairing limbs......so yeah....it made me a more compassionate person."

I had coffee the morning of, and I normally never drink coffee. Could that have been it?

This is absolutely humiliating as I didn't realize that I am probably that poop kid now.

I despair...

Coffee can work as a laxative for many people. Combine that with nerves and, yeah, it can happen. This deadly combo almost made me have to leave during the math portion of the ACT. Live and learn.

I despair...

Coffee + nerves can make you have to take a dump in a hurry! Especially if you don't usually drink it.

Hang in there poop kid!

The bonus is...you could quite possibly be the most popular kid on SDN :D

I really think you should call and explain that you were sick (no details)- if they say, "oh, how were you sick?" out of concern, just say you must have had a stomach virus. There are many ways to say you had violent diarrhea without actually saying you had violent diarrhea.

During rush when I was in a sorority, if some girl spent 12 minutes in the bathroom when she was basically supposed to be interviewing, it came off as very rude (like she didn't want to be there), unless she just apologized and said she wasn't feeling well. Then it was no big deal.

Plus, if you call to apologize, you can show that you care a lot about the school- they are much more likely to remember you.

Or, and I just thought of this, email your interviewer and cc the admissions office to explain. Either way, it's better if you contact them.

When u go to interview
And the squirts come with you too...
diarrhea

U might think its just a toot
But then u poop in ur new suit...
diarrhea

Ur prairie doggin through the tour
squeezin back liquid manure
diarrhea

Come on everybody!

POOP KID HAS TO TAKE A POOP!! POOP KID HAS TO TAKE A POOP!!

[YOUTUBE]zE0IzAsIVWk[/YOUTUBE]

For some reason I feel like combat sports are a gray-area EC.

I'm listing my BJJ belt, but I'm thinking it could possibly hurt my chances.

"Hello, Yes.....thank you, that's a good question. While learning to choke people to death and break limbs I suddenly realized that I'd rather be resuscitating people and repairing limbs......so yeah....it made me a more compassionate person."

I agree. I listed boxing. I had conflicting advice from LizzyM and my real life advisor (don't list and list respectively). One interviewer was neutral, the other was huge on it, and the third was just moderately positive. I can certainly see it going the opposite way though.

Twas horrible...

Man, what a shytty thing to happen during an interview.
Don't let that crap get to you, OP. I have heard a bunch of terrible stories about bad things happening to good people - this story would be number two. Just stand up, smell the fresh air and wash your hands of the situation.

Last edited:
Man, what a shytty thing to happen during an interview.
Don't let that crap get to you, OP. I have heard a bunch of terrible stories about bad things happening to good people - this story would be number two. Just stand up, smell the fresh air and wash your hands of the situation.
2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

I despair...
It really could be anything. Maybe you got like clostridium or salmonella. Or enterotoxin from staph aureus. Don't know if coffee can give you the diarrhea.

It really could be anything. Maybe you got like clostridium or salmonella. Or enterotoxin from staph aureus. Don't know if coffee can give you the diarrhea.

o_O

Unlikely.

It was probably the coffee/stress/exhaustion if it was just that day, which can give you loose stools.

I agree. I listed boxing. I had conflicting advice from LizzyM and my real life advisor (don't list and list respectively). One interviewer was neutral, the other was huge on it, and the third was just moderately positive. I can certainly see it going the opposite way though.

I have a lot of friends that are amateur MMA fighters/boxers/trainers. Note to self: do not piss off loveoforganic.

Hahaha I thought of Van Wilder too. Wasn't he going to take the MCAT too or something like that?

And I'm imagining this conversation in my head....

"I'm sorry my interview was ****, I was full of ****"

I'm so sorry OP. I would just tell them you were sick and hope for the best.

Lol I wonder what the interviewer was thinking when you were taking a dump for like 12 min.

I have a lot of friends that are amateur MMA fighters/boxers/trainers. Note to self: do not piss off loveoforganic.

I did boxing and bjj throughout high school, and took an enormous chunk of my time then, so i obviously listed on my app even though i quit during my freshman year of college. Replace loveoforganic with my name, and thats exactly what one of my interviewers told me :laugh:. It was a great ice breaker, we then went on for a little past the hour. Best interview i had and got WLed.

anyways how did this even come up...the discussion was about diarrhea.

You know op, if anyone should understand your situation, youd think it would be an adcom composed of doctors, especially if a GE is in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.