Did 8 years as a reservist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerReservist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply for HPSP, will I get paid as an 0-1 w/ eight years of service?

Members don't see this ad.

Plus, I did serve in OIF for 15 months...
If I do HPSP, will I get paid as an 0-1 w/ eight years of service?

Yes.

If your time was enlisted you will get O-1E over eight.
If your time was commissioned you will get 4 additional years of entry grade credit. This means you will put on O-4 two years after med school.

Yes.

If your time was enlisted you will get O-1E over eight.
If your time was commissioned you will get 4 additional years of entry grade credit. This means you will put on O-4 two years after med school.

I think he was a reservist, not activated, for 8 years. So wouldn't he just get time in service for his AD time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he was a reservist, not activated, for 8 years. So wouldn't he just get time in service for his AD time?

Yes. They calculate the total days of performed duty and figure out how many days that is equivalent to in terms of AD when going from Reserves to AD.

This may or may not be service specific as to what they "count" towards that calculation. What I mean is, IDT and UTA days may or may not be worth a full "point". Each day of AD (in AD status not UTA/IDT) WAS one one "point" in the USAF awhile back. Therefore, 365 points equaled one year. (confusing?:laugh:)

You need at least 4 ACTIVE DUTY (enlisted in any branch) years in the Navy to get O/E pay. Again, I do not know about the USAF anymore.

I am going through this crediting towards rank right now. I can provide the Navy office responsible for calculating this credit for NAVY HPSPers once I find my paperwork.

Navy HPSPer:D

No, all time counts. (even IRR) I know ist seems screwy, but that is the way it is. Time in HPSP is special and the laws have been specifically written for that time not to count.

Can anyone validate this rumor (or tell me its not true)? I've heard that while commissioned service time as a line officer is halved in this calculation, commissioned service as a nurse corps or medical service corps officer is counted one for one. Any truth to this one?

Can anyone validate this rumor (or tell me its not true)? I've heard that while commissioned service time as a line officer is halved in this calculation, commissioned service as a nurse corps or medical service corps officer is counted one for one. Any truth to this one?

Only if you are coming in as a nurse or MSC type. Only time as a medical corps officer counts one for one time.

No, all time counts. (even IRR) I know ist seems screwy, but that is the way it is. Time in HPSP is special and the laws have been specifically written for that time not to count.

Good to know! I am expecting good news from DFAS then!:D

cool... thanks

hmm... surprised that IRR time counts too

Does anyone know whether or not the finance department pay you o-1E automatically, or if I need to tell someone that is processing my paper?

Does anyone know whether or not the finance department pay you o-1E automatically, or if I need to tell someone that is processing my paper?

The front office will need a copy of your DD214.

The thing is they only give out DD-214, when you separate from the Active Duty Service. I did get one after going to Iraq.
However, I didn't get anything from the Reserve when I got out. I do have ARPC 249-2-E that shows how many years of service, retirement points that I earned. Would this be enough?

Yes.

how come someone tells me that only my active duty time counts?

Edit--this is with regard to the "E" designation. The first try sounded a little funny.

Unless you were active for 4 consecutive years (in other words, no break), you will get the 8 years, but not the "E" designation. The only reason I know is because it happened to me. I was active duty (not "activated reservist") but just plain old AD for 3 years, 9 months and 10 days and did not get it, even though I went straght into the Guard for 3 more after that. I do have >7, but not "E"

so I should get 0-1 with eight years of service for my basic pay?

so I should get 0-1 with eight years of service for my basic pay?

Yes. Base pay, regardless of branch, is regulated by:

DOD 7000.14-R, VOLUME 7A, CHAPTER 1 “BASIC PAY”

DOD 7000.14-R said:
0101 CREDITABLE SERVICE
010101. Service Which Is Creditable

A. General
1. The several military pay and personnel systems use a variety of dates to determine various entitlements. Among them is the date that denotes how much service a member has for the purpose of determining longevity pay rates. The Army refers to this as the pay entry basic date, the Navy and Marine Corps refer to this as the pay entry base date, while the Air Force calls it simply the pay date. This chapter will refer to this data element as the basic pay date, which is defined as reflecting all service that is creditable towards longevity.

2. The member’s servicing personnel office is responsible for providing, when necessary, a statement of service that can include the basic pay date, total active federal military service date, total commissioned federal military service date, and a variety of other dates, depending on the nature of the individual member’s service. This regulation details only the computation of the basic pay date, since Military Service personnel regulations control the computation of all other dates.

B. Computation of Creditable Service. For most members who enter and serve on active duty without a break in service, the basic pay date is the date the member enters active or inactive service. If, however, there is a break in service, the time between periods of service usually is not included. Also, there are statutory periods when service in a particular component may not be counted. Conversely, there are periods for which some members are given constructive service, even though they were not actually serving on active or inactive duty. Use the following guidance to compute the basic pay date when there has been a break in service of any kind or if there is a need to include constructive service.

C. Creditable Service Periods. Include active or inactive service in any of the following components without restriction:
1. Regular service in the Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps.
2. Army, Naval, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard Reserve.

Edit--this is with regard to the "E" designation. The first try sounded a little funny.

Unless you were active for 4 consecutive years (in other words, no break), you will get the 8 years, but not the "E" designation. The only reason I know is because it happened to me. I was active duty (not "activated reservist") but just plain old AD for 3 years, 9 months and 10 days and did not get it, even though I went straght into the Guard for 3 more after that. I do have >7, but not "E"

It doesn't have to be consecutive years, it is combined. The problem with the Guard and Reserve is that drill dates are considered inactive duty for training (IDT.) These days do not count. AT days (15 days in the summer), active duty for training (AIT, WLC, HAZMAT course, etc.), and any days you were activated do count. If you have enough of these days to reach 1461 days (4 years, 1 day), you should have the "E" designation.

DOD 7000.14-R said:
Active Enlisted and/or Warrant Officer Service for Members in Basic Pay Grades O-1E, O-2E, OR O-3E

A. Service Counted
1. General. Commissioned officers with over 4 years of prior active service as an enlisted member, warrant officer, or combined service in both grades are entitled to count such service for purposes of computing basic pay for longevity purposes. Such prior service includes all active service, in either the Regular or Reserve Component or both (i.e., active duty for training in enlisted or warrant officer status, annual Reserve training duty, and full time National Guard duty). Service on active duty or active duty for training for at least 4 years and 1 day satisfies the over 4 years of service requirement under this section. See subparagraphs 010102.A.8 and applicable notes to Tables 1-7 and 1-8 for student entitlement to basic pay for longevity purposes while attending the USUHS.

2. Creditable Prior Enlisted Service. Effective May 20, 1958, commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, or O-3 who are credited with over 4 years (i.e., at least 4 years and 1 day) of prior active service as an enlisted member are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E.

3. Creditable Prior Warrant Officer Service. Effective September 1, 1980, commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, or O-3 who are credited with over 4 years (i.e., at least 4 years and 1 day) of prior active service as a warrant officer are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E.

4. Creditable Combined Prior Service. Effective October 1, 1993, commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, or O-3 who are credited with over 4 years (i.e., at least 4 years and 1 day) of combined prior active service as an enlisted member and warrant officer are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E.
1-