Did anyone else sell their car to apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I applied to only a few schools and I wasn't lucky, but I only applied to the number I could afford. This year my application is much better with higher scores and GPA but I decided to apply to a bunch of schools. I sold my car in order to do so because I'm not poor enough to get a waiver but not rich enough to pay for 30 schools and go to interviews. I can walk to my job and I ride my bike everywhere now. I also want to put off buying another car as long as possible. I kind of enjoy not having gas expenses.

Am I the only one that did this?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not, but I did have to work and save A LOT of money for it. I respect your dedication to it and hope you get in. Hopefully you'll get in somewhere where a car won't be needed for the first couple of years until your rotations.

Last year I applied to only a few schools and I wasn't lucky, but I only applied to the number I could afford. This year my application is much better with higher scores and GPA but I decided to apply to a bunch of schools. I sold my car in order to do so because I'm not poor enough to get a waiver but not rich enough to pay for 30 schools and go to interviews. I can walk to my job and I ride my bike everywhere now. I also want to put off buying another car as long as possible. I kind of enjoy not having gas expenses.

I sold some stuff on ebay. Part of it went for secondaries and part of it to buy more stuff from ebay.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:

No. I love my car too much. Worked my ass off and scrimped and saved, but did not sell anything.

You should have made a poll for this. :D

To answer the question though, no I did not sell my car. I work and save as much as I can to be able to apply and repay loans at the same time. Luckily, it's just enough for me to get through.

well now if any interviewer questions your dedication to becoming a physician, you have a great comeback!

i sold my soul instead. let's see how much it was worth. unless i'll have to move on to my body

I'm selling one of my kidneys. If you'll pardon me, I have a tub full of ice waiting on me.

well now if any interviewer questions your dedication to becoming a physician, you have a great comeback!

Well, I do make more money then I spend but having a girlfriend and living alone it's hard to save up the thousands of dollars it costs and that's not even including the cost of interviews, which can cost a lot of money. :(

Not to hijack the thread, but do schools and AMCAS take credit cards?

I might cry if they dont.

Most do, but credit card debt is bad news, if there is any other type of loan you can get, do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most do, but credit card debt is bad news, if there is any other type of loan you can get, do it.

Loans for the application process? :eek:

I realize I will need loans for school, but if you are talking about loans for the application process then I am out of touch with how much its going to cost :).

Well, I do make more money then I spend but having a girlfriend and living alone it's hard to save up the thousands of dollars it costs and that's not even including the cost of interviews, which can cost a lot of money. :(

I feel you...
I do make money as well, maybe not a lot, but enough to support myself.. Also I have been saving money for this application process.
Secondaries were somewhat affordable but I must say that cost of interviews is draining my pocket. Good thing I saved a lot but these days my $$$ goes out as soon as my paycheck gets to my account.

I used a credit card for AMCAS, most secondaries, and interview costs. It's all paid off now, but it was a lifesaver back then

I submitted primaries to 64 schools, and secondaries to 42, so I'm in for $5500 already...and thats before a single interview. Then again, I dont expect to get many of those, so I should be saving a *ton* on the back end.

And no, I wouldnt sell my car to pay for it, since its an '86 300E with 300k miles, dented quarter panels and nasty rust problem. I think it will probably end up costing me money when I have to pay a junkyard to salvage it.

wow. thats dedication. i couldnt imagine giving up my car... well i guess i could but i would honestly be very depressed.

Good luck man.........thats awesome that you have that much dedication.

just worked a ton the summer I applied. You'd be surprised at how many applicants are funded by the First Bank of Dad, or at least I was.

Didn't sell my car, but I did sell my Ducati :(

IMG_1650.jpg

I sold my wife's car. Shes a home maker and doesnt really need one anyway.

I wish I even had a car to sell.

I'm hoping to get one next year for medical school, just because I know that it will be kind of necessary if I'm going to live on my own (which I want to...YOHOO!! NO ROOMATES!!). Otherwise, how am I going to get to school and buy groceries and go to the pharmacy, etc??? The places I have interviewed at look like the kind of places where student need cars. :(

I wish I even had a car to sell.

I'm hoping to get one next year for medical school, just because I know that it will be kind of necessary if I'm going to live on my own (which I want to...YOHOO!! NO ROOMATES!!). Otherwise, how am I going to get to school and buy groceries and go to the pharmacy, etc??? The places I have interviewed at look like the kind of places where student need cars. :(

I get the impression that once you enter med school, you're expected to start to live like an adult (unlike college where adults don't have to live with as much real responsibility). As such, at many med schools you're going to need a car because you're going to need to get to school. Just like how you're probably going to need to start living in an apartment rather than a dorm. It's like living in the real world, except you don't get paid!

I get the impression that once you enter med school, you're expected to start to live like an adult (unlike college where adults don't have to live with as much real responsibility). As such, at many med schools you're going to need a car because you're going to need to get to school. Just like how you're probably going to need to start living in an apartment rather than a dorm. It's like living in the real world, except you don't get paid!
You could always WALK to school or ride a bike, both of which I've done. My wife and I only have one car, and she's usually got it at work. Not having a car will save you a lot of money, and it'll probably save you time from going places you don't really need to go :p

I don't live in a dorm anymore (though I did for three years), I live in an apartment, but I have a roomate.

And yes, I also get that impression. I also think it would be harder to find "rides" with classmates to go elsewhere, which is what I've been doing in college, when I need to go to wal-mart or the pharmacy, etc (no, neither of them is within walking/biking distance). Other than that, I use my bike to get around campus or places near campus. Other than that my bike is useless, because everything else (grocery stores, pharmacies, the mall, videostore, etc) would require me to get on my bike and ride through some big and dangerous streets (read: the interstate) for a very long distance (5+ miles for the closest ones), and let's face it, I'm not carrying groceries while riding my bike.

A car is expensive, but it also allows for more independence. It will probably also save me money when going home, since instead of spending $300 on a plane ticket I could just get in the car and drive.

I don't know many people who live in dorms for 4 years of college. Most people I know have been living in apartments off campus since 2nd year, and they buy their own groceries etc.

Is it common to live in a dorm all four years of college in places other than Cali?

But what if the market is like 5 miles away. Are you planning on walking, with groceries?

It's nice to have a car, no doubt about it. I sold mine years ago, when I began to run out of cash. It's possible to adjust, if necessary. I got a used road bike and a large back pack (for groceries); it worked fairly well for distances up to 30 miles round trip (I was in great shape). You just need to slow down a lot and plan better, that's all.

Oh and you need good weather, too. I lived in SoCal at the time, so it wasn't an issue.