Did applying get more expensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was it always $80 per additional school?

Members don't see this ad.

No. It creeps up a little every year.

The processing fee for the 2013 ADEA AADSAS application is:
$238 for the first dental school plus
$80 for each additional school

I think it was $235/$75 last cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. It creeps up a little every year.

The processing fee for the 2013 ADEA AADSAS application is:
$238 for the first dental school plus
$80 for each additional school

I think it was $235/$75 last cycle.

wait...other than the $238 for the first school, and the amount of $ listed for each school in the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools...I also have to pay AADSAS $80 for every school??? :wow:

Yup. It's a real treat, isn't it?

So if you apply to 2 schools you're paying $318 lump sum to AADSAS. Schools don't see any of that. That's just for AADSAS. So you're done giving money to AADSAS unless you decide add more schools later.

Then if your school has their own fee...well, you're cutting them a check and paying it to them directly.

Yup. It's a real treat, isn't it?

So if you apply to 2 schools you're paying $318 lump sum to AADSAS. Schools don't see any of that. That's just for AADSAS. So you're done giving money to AADSAS unless you decide add more schools later.

Then if your school has their own fee...well, you're cutting them a check and paying it to them directly.

Time to go look at my school list and narrow it down again. Wow. Okay, so just to be sure...do I write a check and send it by mail directly to the admissions office of each school?

Make a tidy little checklist of your schools and their secondary apps and/or fees and when they want them (when they ask, or without being asked). Some schools can take payment online with a CC. And others want a check in the mail.

Are you talking about Secondary App payments here? Or a Fee to apply?

Both? Some schools just want money. They just won't process your application or consider it complete without a fee. Others might have a secondary/supplemental appliction that has a fee associated with it.

Wow i wasn't aware of a fee to just apply. I thought that was what we were paying for. Do you know when it is recommended to send those individual school application processing fees?

Also... Do you know if dental schools know how many schools we are applying to?

One more thing... For Stonybrook it says:
Admissions Time Table Earliest Date Latest Date School Fees
Application Submission 6/15 12/1 $100.00
Acceptance Notification 12/1 $350.00

Would you pay the $350 only if you got accepted? Or in order to be notified?
http://dentistry.stonybrookmedicine.edu/dental/student/admissions

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I'm going to say that for Stony you pay $350 if/when you are accepted. I'd hope there aren't any schools sleazy enough to make you pay just to find out if you're accepted or not. Unless they notify you with a really fancy singing telegram.

I will lay out a lengthy example of how the money will flow. Hopefully it will clear things up for whoever graces this thread.

You decide to apply to 5 schools:
Pacific
Uconn
LECOM
Western
Iowa

When you're done with your application and decide it's time to submit, you'll select your 5 schools. Then it's time to pay. You're going to drop $238 for one of your schools PLUS another $80 for each additional school. So you will pay $558 total to AADSAS. You pay it all at once. This money is only for AADSAS. It's their fee to process all the applications and verify transcripts and all that good stuff. Unless you decide to come back and add more schools, you are done paying AADSAS money.

Next, check to see if your schools have secondary applications or application fees or both and when they want these items. These fees are what the school charges for whatever reason. We'll say it's to process your application. Any money will go directly to the school. This information can be found in several places (school websites, ADEA guide, calling the school). I will use this link for my example.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio.../Pages/ADEAAADSASSupplementalInformation.aspx

Pacific
Pay $75 Application fee online At the Same Time you send ADEA AADSAS material. Don't confuse this with paying AADSAS. They're just telling you that on your own accord, you need to follow the link they give you to pay $75. 'Same Time' just means that you don't want to apply in June and then just sit around for 4 months before you remember to send your fee. Just go do it soon.

Uconn
Send $75 Application fee At the Same Time you send ADEA AADSAS material. Similar to Pacific. They have a link to go pay. You just go do it.

LECOM
Send a $50 Applicaiton fee and complete an electronic supplemental application Only When an Admission Officer Contacts You. That should be clear. Be aware it might come. But don't do anything until they invite you to do so (if they ever do).

Western
Pay $60 Application fee and a Supplemental Application At the Same Time you send AADSAS materials. This is all done on Western's website. Don't confuse this with doing anything inside the AADSAS portal. If you apply to Western, they expect you to just go to their website to complete their supplemntal application and pay their $60 fee. They won't invite you to. You just do it. If you forget and sit around long enough, they might give you a nudge and remind you that your AADSAS application is sitting on their desk doing nothing because you haven't paid or turned in their secondary.

Iowa
Send $60 Application fee ($100 for international students) Only When an Admission Officer Contacts You. That's clear. Sit and wait for their invitation to pay the fee.

So once you've paid all that, you've spent $320 in fees to your schools.

$558 (AADSAS) + $320 (sum of your school fees) = $878

Now you sit tight and hope they invite you to interview so you can spend a lot more money to travel and enjoy their pastries and juice in the lobby.

Last edited:
jeffity, you are incredible.

wow you saved me so much time and confusion.

endless thank yous! :)

Yeah, last year it was $235 for the first school and $75 for every additional school