Did better on Step 1 than Level 1, AOA programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunealoneal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate this* equation is, but my USMLE was markedly better than this equation predicted. Or in other words, my COMLEX is markedly worse than my USMLE. For an idea of what I'm talking about, the equation underestimated my score by 46.71 points. Perhaps it's just out of date?

Using the official COMLEX percentile tool (which is only valid up to April 2016, so not for mine) as well as the "USMLE gunner" calculator I found online, there is a difference of 16 between the two percentiles, with the USMLE being higher.

Will more competitive AOA programs (like ENT, ophtho) preferentially weight my COMLEX score? I'm sure there were plenty of good students who did as well as I did on Step 1 and much better on COMLEX...

*USMLE Step 1 = 67.97 + 0.24 X COMLEX-USA Level 1

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
speaking from ophtho, most programs (and most meaning like 5/8 total AOA programs) will look at COMLEX. There are a few that look and like to see a positive USMLE. Having said this - you should focus on what specialty you enjoy in life and try to go from there. Just because you have a good COMLEX score does not mean you will get an interview, for ophtho programs they want you to audition. Some programs won't interview anyone who did not do an audition rotation. And then there is that whole DO thing when you apply to competitive ACGME programs with a good USMLE Step 1 (even though you had a good Step 1, DO bias exist in competitive specialties). Its all good - I'm sure you will figure it out but my advice would be to figure out which specialty you are most interested in, do research, do audition rotations whether ACGME or AOA, get good letters, make connections, etc.

Are you saying that your COMLEX percentile is 16 percentile places better than your USMLE? Like 85th percentile on COMLEX and 69th percentile on USMLE? Because that is entirely explained by the difference in who takes the test. Personally I would rather have a 70th percentile USMLE (240-ish) than a 90th percentile COMLEX (630-ish)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lolz way to go man. COMLEX is a bull**** exam anyway that will probably be obsolete in the future (hopefully) if the greedy bastards in charge of the exam will stop being greedy lol

ACGME is the way to bruh!

Any tips? did you prepare for the USMLE first and did you take it first?

You can PM me if you'd like!

I only had a day between Step and Level 1. And I only prepared for Step 1.

I suspect that my COMLEX was artificially depressed because of the timing, because I only went up 2 points from the COMSAE D to my COMLEX. Conversely I went up 48 points from the school administered NBME and my Step 1.

OPP wasn't my lowest section on Level 1, so I don't think it had anything to do with focusing exclusively on Step 1. I was just tired and annoyed by the COMLEX.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

speaking from ophtho, most programs (and most meaning like 5/8 total AOA programs) will look at COMLEX. There are a few that look and like to see a positive USMLE. Having said this - you should focus on what specialty you enjoy in life and try to go from there. Just because you have a good COMLEX score does not mean you will get an interview, for ophtho programs they want you to audition. Some programs won't interview anyone who did not do an audition rotation. And then there is that whole DO thing when you apply to competitive ACGME programs with a good USMLE Step 1 (even though you had a good Step 1, DO bias exist in competitive specialties). Its all good - I'm sure you will figure it out but my advice would be to figure out which specialty you are most interested in, do research, do audition rotations whether ACGME or AOA, get good letters, make connections, etc.

Thanks! This is just something I wanted to keep in mind as I considered things. Looking back I probably could've just asked, "do you think AOA programs will consider me competitive if my USMLE is good but my COMLEX isn't?"

Everything else in my original post is superfluous.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile