Did drugs before school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Yes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This thread might come off as a little ridiculous, but the thought has been bugging me since school started.

I was a great student in undergrad, had no problems focusing or studying, and had an MCAT score in the low 30's.

Had a gap year between undergrad and med school, made a lot of poor choices involving drugs and alcohol.

Used acid, mushrooms, cocaine, Xanax, and weed. Multiple times each, but only the Xanax was a regular thing (took for a month or two).

Occurred mainly from September to January, then I got my **** back together.

After that I just drank heavily on the weekends.

Now I'm in school and feel very stupid compared to my classmates.

They'll be learning innervations and insertions while I'm still struggling to remember muscle names.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Say no to drugs kids.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, my thought is you get 1/10 for that trolling performance.

Wish I was trolling. Actually concerned.

Is it possible I actually damaged my brain? Am I just not studying hard enough/effectively enough?

Is it possible I actually damaged my brain? Am I just not studying hard enough/effectively enough?
OzzyChangingHands02-20-2010.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe/Maybe not. You have no way of knowing, assuming now you've stopped. As far as the latter about studying, I have no idea. Depends on your grades, how much time u spend actually studying vs. messing around, etc.

Probably just not studying properly. Many people feel like they can't keep up at the beginning of med school. That said, I'm sure the drugs didn't help. Don't ever do drugs again, for the sake of your future patients and your own brain.

I recall at least 2 other threads in the past 1-2 years that were 99% identical. .5/10

tumblr_lemt4yQV3U1qcfba3o1_500.gif

One time I did beer.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yea...taking xanax for a month or two is kind of a big deal. I've partaken in my fair share of "bad choices", but the one thing I've been mindful of is not to mess around with anything I will one day be prescribing.

but yea, just study more.

Used acid, mushrooms, cocaine, Xanax, and weed. Multiple times each, but only the Xanax was a regular thing (took for a month or two).

Impressive.

One time I did beer.

Actual patient I had yesterday:

Me: About how many drinks do you have per week?
Him: I don't drink.
Me: No alcohol at all?
Him: Nope. I do have like 3 or 4 beers most mornings.
Me: Wat. You know that's alcohol right??
Him: For real? Are you sure?

:lame:

Happens all the time with drugs and marijuana. "Naw man I don't do drugs, Just smoke some weed now and then to relax the nerves."

Reactions: 7 users
Impressive.

Happens all the time with drugs and marijuana. "Naw man I don't do drugs, Just smoke some weed now and then to relax the nerves."

Joke's on you, it's O'Doul's.

8067.jpg

Impressive.

This is so true. I have had multiple patients that thought beer didn't count as alcohol.

I injected 5 marijuanas before my Renal exam.

Nothing that a little Ritalin won't fix. Kidding! Kidding!

-- If you can remember the amount of Xanax you took, and for how long, I think you are OK.

--One aspect of the drugs you take that you should pay a lot of attention to is how astoundingly illegal they are. That will hurt you much more than the brain fog.

--- Even trolls need advice sometimes.

Capt. Obvious, over and out.

I would look to another etiology to your inability to focus. It's highly unlikely that you damaged your brain in one year no matter how many drugs you did.

Alcohol doesn't destroy neurons, it's the nutritional disorder that is responsible to damage. However, abstaining for a little while (like 2 weeks of soberness with exercise) can sometimes help that brain fog feeling.

The other drugs, depends on how much you took, mainly the LSD and cocaine. Also you could be over-caffeinating (can cause inability to focus), not getting enough sleep, be anxious about school and uncomfortable with yourself in comparison to your classmates (what it sounds like), or dysthymic.

Studying around people in medical school can make you feel like complete crap sometimes because everyone studies different amounts and knows different stuff. Just because you don't know minutae, I wouldn't beat yourself up. However if you're unable to remember your anatomy it's most likely an issue of repetition. It's all about just looking at the same crap until you can recite it. Anatomy can make you feel like your memory is not up to par, it happens with everyone, mostly because its not circumstantial memory. Just keep repeating it to yourself and try not to study with anyone that has studied significantly more than you this point in time.