Did I dig my own grave? How do I recover?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zrinhibit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been lurking here for a while now. Here's my story.

I started college in high school as a dual enrollment student at a community college. Going in I was pre-pharmacy. I got straight A's both semesters, around 25-30 credits. In those 2 semesters I took general chem 1 and 2. I decided I may as well finish another year at that community college. My second year I took general bio 1 and 2 as well as math classes up to calculus. In around 60 credits I got 1 B which was freshman comp 2. My plan at this point was to finish up orgo and physics at university and apply to pharmacy school. As I started my first semester at university I started beginning to lose interest as a pre-pharm student. I took orgo 1 my first semester and literally didn't study at all. I don't know what it was, maybe I was depressed or lost all my motivation, but I don't want to make excuses. I took the W. At this point if you count my dual enrollment year I have been in college for 2 and a half years. I decide i'm just going to take the classes and get B's or C's and go to pharmacy school. Worst mentality of my life. I took immunology just because my friend was taking it and we both ended up with C's. I didn't know what immunology even was. I remember 2 weeks into the class I was thinking what am I learning here? I also retook Orgo 1 and got a C and took physics 1 and got a B. I started shadowing and volunteering which started sparking my interest medicine. The spring semester of my senior year I did a little better, though, I did take A&P 1/2 as a transient at my community college and took Orgo 2 at university and got A's. Counting dual enrollment I will be going into my 5th year of college. I know I messed up. I need advice. My stats aren't that bad, my overall is 3.78 and science is 3.55. However, my University gpa's are 3.5 cgpa and 2.75 sgpa. I am taking biochem, genetics, physics 2, orgo lab in the Fall of 2015 at my University. If I get A's in all of those(I really believe I can pull this off!) my sgpa would go up to around 3.6 something, and my university sgpa would go up by .6-.7. Do I retake Immunology and Orgo 1? Is 1 year enough to prove myself? I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I plan on doing so after biochem! What would you do in my situation? Any advice is sincerely appreciated!

If you took the time to read this thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

@Grace184 had the quote for this "anybody can put A's in an excel sheet and calculate what their science GPA is. But that's not how life works. Be ready for its surprises and whatever it might throw at you next".

You didn't expect to get C's after your 4.0 did you? So now when you are getting C's learn your lesson about just expecting something to happen and fall into place. Take some of those classes and see what happens and go from there.

Focus on these upper level classes in the fall not how every single class affects your science gpa and your plans multiple years down the road. Because right now a 2.75 science GPA isn't working anywhere for you.

And FYI if you have been a C student I would strongly advise not taking genetics, physics 2, biochem and OCHEM lab in the same semester. You need to build yourself up back again. Do it by going lightly getting A's and seeing yourself have success and what it takes. Because I'll tell you this much; genetics and biochem aren a whole new level from gen chem(which is freakin high school AP Chem).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply. The reason why I mentioned my gpa's at all is so it's anyone reading can give a more informative response. I know my gpa's don't mean anything because of my lack of discipline throughout my semesters at my University. Also, I am still considering whether to drop one of those classes, but not sure which. However, I really believe I can pull it off. It's a whole different ball game for me right now.

If I read your post correctly, by using AMCAS standards, your cGPA is 3.78 and sGPA is 3.55? Is this correct? This represents the sum of all your GPAs?

if so, then quit worrying. You will have to explain in interviews (and maybe on secondaries) why your grade trend was the way it was, but you're quite competitive.