Did I earn a BA or BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeesnob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question--please bear with me:

I majored in genetics at the School of Arts and Sciences. For AMCAS purpose, did I earn BA or BS?

Members don't see this ad.

I majored in genetics at the School of Arts and Sciences. For AMCAS purpose, did I earn BA or BS?

Could be either. What's your diploma say?

if u're in the school of Arts and Sciences then u got a BA the people that get a BS are usually in a school specific for science

Members don't see this ad :)
if u're in the school of Arts and Sciences then u got a BA the people that get a BS are usually in a school specific for science

Not true my school has a College of Arts and Sciences and we offer BS and BA for various degrees. OP you should check your unofficial transcripts if you have access to them.

I think it should be mentioned on your degree? If not, I'm guessing it's a BS, since you majored in genetics.

I got my ba in biology from the college of science from my uni.

What 'school' you were in is irrelevant.

Look at your degree. It will say you were awarded a Bachelor of Arts, or a Bachelor of Science.

Guess is BS if you majored in Genetics; but only why to know is the actual degree (or a transcript possibly).

Why are you asking an internet forum to tell you what degree you earned? If you can't figure it out from looking at the degree or going to your school's website, call your school and ask.

You earned a BS.

It could be either. I majored in biology, and was set to earn a BA until my school decided to start offering a BS, after which, I switched my degree. My school offered both a BA and a BS in most science areas, the difference was a few additional science classes.

Why are you asking an internet forum to tell you what degree you earned? If you can't figure it out from looking at the degree or going to your school's website, call your school and ask.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I graduated from a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and received a BS. The only way to know for sure is for the OP to read their degree or contact their school..

Interesting, have you tried looking up your un/official transcripts??

This thread has gotten me paranoid... gotta check if I'm getting a BS or BA now...

is this really still being discussed??? OP why would you pose this question to an online forum of people who know nothing about your university or the colleges within it. come on people. do a little research on your own

I asked this question (I knew it was stupid) after checking my official transcript which doesn't really say which degree I earned. I checked the department/school website but it didn't have the info. I don't have access to the diploma, so I had to call the school. I had to ask this question here because I didn't know where else to look. Sometimes this kind of info is hard to find.

Anyways, it's a BA.

My sister was a Chem major. Got a BA from Arts & Sciences. I think if she did Chem Eng, then she could have received a BS.

Similarly, I was CS and got a BA. If I did CE, I would have received a BS.

Makes no difference when applying to med school or most real-world jobs, but BS sounds nicer. Even if a job application states a "BS" requirement, they are usually just requiring a Bachelors degree and you can apply with a BA.

How does one not know this? I'm amazed that someone can spend all this time and money on a degree they know so little about....

if your university gives latin degrees, you could have earned an A.B., just to add to your confusion, lol

why do people at osteopathic medical schools get a DO degree if they're going to medical school? wouldn't they be medical doctors (MDs)?

this isnt true. The "school of arts and sciences" is akin to the "college of liberal arts" in many other institutions (I believe).

Most colleges are a subset of a university which focus on a particular school of thought. There is the college of design, college of engineering, college of education, college of liberal arts, ect.....

These programs can typically give you either a BA or a BS depending on what you, the student, sign up for. The criteria will be explicitly listed and the diploma will say a "Bachelor of Arts/Science" (pick one).

So if you are not sure.... 1)This is somewhat concerning as I would have thought you would need to list it on your graduation application 2) check the diploma

Wow is right you sexy lady you ;)

tumblr_m5lias1oG71rrs4dw.png