Did I mess up my chances at US MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forever123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a Canadian who has been out of undergrad for a year now and just finishing up my Masters. Canadian schools are ridiculously competitive and seems very very very hopeless right now. I wrote my mcat four times because of my verbal score (7-->8-->7-->? (hoping for a 10+). Since I wrote my mcat so many times with my first write being my highest, did I mess up my chances for US MD?

Thanks for your time,

Hopeless Canadian

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be honest. It shows poor judgement to have taken the MCAT so many times, especially when you scored worse on the retakes. And poor judgement is not going to be looked upon kindly by many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your reply. That's very true and I agree but I certainly learned a lot from this experience and I absolutely do regret re-writing. My initial plan was to just apply to Canadian schools until I get in and Canadian schools do not care how many times you re-wrote the MCAT.

your 2011 scores have already expired

If yo get a chance to write about the MCAT, try to spin it as evidence of your dedication to the field. I personally think you will be fine.