Did I mess up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that ideally you should get an A the second time you're taking the course but I'm worried that I screwed up in the eyes of the adcom. I failed ochem the first time I took it (back when I was still foolish) and only ended up with a B after taking it over this summer. Does this make me seem incompetent and possibly raise a flag in my app? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I know that ideally you should get an A the second time you're taking the course but I'm worried that I screwed up in the eyes of the adcom. I failed ochem the first time I took it (back when I was still foolish) and only ended up with a B after taking it over this summer. Does this make me seem incompetent and possibly raise a flag in my app? :(

Im no Adcom, but no...I can't say that a B in Ochem will do you much harm, even a second time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as it wasn't at a community college you should be fine.

A B is fine; quit fussing.

I got a D in calculus the first time around and a B the second time. I have two interview invites right now. Don't worry about it.

You think that's bad?! I took biochem 3 for my major and got a D the first time preventing me from graduating in 4 years and was only able to get a C the second time. It was that hard! I would have easily taken a B. Also, half the class had to repeat each year and one guy took it 3 years in a row to finally get his biochem degree. LOL! If it is upper-level that is freaking awesome because you still improved.

I got a D in calculus the first time around and a B the second time. I have two interview invites right now. Don't worry about it.

I agree that the B isn't a problem, but Orgo is significantly more important to your application than Calculus.

Thanks everyone. I guess I should just settle with it-- just disappointed that I couldn't pull off the magical A from my hat.:shrug:

I agree that the B isn't a problem, but Orgo is significantly more important to your application than Calculus.

I have Bs in orgo 1 and 2 and orgo lab also :D

I got a D in Organic 2 my first time taking it. I got a C in Organic 2 my second time taking it (Crazy teacher. I won't mention this obviously...."it was ALL my fault..."). One and done with Organic 1, 98%.

If I don't get an A in biochem, I'll be taking Orgo 2 for a third time. I actually tutor Organic for my school and know the info cold. I'll also be applying with a 3.6 science gpa, so I'm not completely stoopid. :laugh:

Summary: STFU OP, you're fine. :smuggrin:

I got a D in Organic 2 my first time taking it. I got a C in Organic 2 my second time taking it (Crazy teacher. I won't mention this obviously...."it was ALL my fault..."). One and done with Organic 1, 98%.

If I don't get an A in biochem, I'll be taking Orgo 2 for a third time. I actually tutor Organic for my school and know the info cold. I'll also be applying with a 3.6 science gpa, so I'm not completely stoopid. :laugh:

Yeah, seriously what's up with ochem profs. First time taking it, obviously, it was "ALL" my fault...with class average in the 30-40s and no bell curve whatsoever (I took it at another college where they bell curve, but profs decided not to; mine home college doesn't).

Anyways, congrats with the 98! Just thought I could come off as an idiot...I'll be quiet now :laugh:

Yeah, seriously what's up with ochem profs. First time taking it, obviously, it was "ALL" my fault...with class average in the 30-40s and no bell curve whatsoever (I took it at another college where they bell curve, but profs decided not to; mine home college doesn't).

Anyways, congrats with the 98! Just thought I could come off as an idiot...I'll be quiet now :laugh:

Well, the first organic 2 professor I had was actually pretty great. I unfortunately had an immediate family member die during that time frame so things were kind of a mess.

Still not sure how I'm going to bring that up without sounding like I'm making an excuse or seeking pity, though. :thumbdown:

Well, the first organic 2 professor I had was actually pretty great. I unfortunately had an immediate family member die during that time frame so things were kind of a mess.

Still not sure how I'm going to bring that up without sounding like I'm making an excuse or seeking pity, though. :thumbdown:

I doubt they will ask you about it when they have a lot more important things to worry about asking you vs why you did bad in Org 2.

I doubt they will ask you about it when they have a lot more important things to worry about asking you vs why you did bad in Org 2.

If they won't, my pre-professional committee sure as hell will. :laugh:

That damn thing is just a huge headache.

how the hell do you have a 3.6 sGPA with a D and C in Ochem the second time????

how the hell do you have a 3.6 sGPA with a D and C in Ochem the second time????

You quoted a 5 year post and I'm in my last year of medical school.

I'll let you do the math on that one.

Reactions: 3 users
You quoted a 5 year post and I'm in my last year of medical school.

I'll let you do the math on that one.

I'm aware it's an old post, didn't think you would answer. Wanted to know how you got outstanding grades in other classes with a D and C the 2nd time in Ochem (how do you only get a C the second time)? I did hear that osteopathic schools are more forgiving in grades compared to MD/Dental schools.

Last edited:
I'm aware it's an old post, didn't think you would answer. Wanted to know how you got outstanding grades in other classes with a D and C the 2nd time in Ochem (how do you only get a C the second time)? I did hear that osteopathic schools are more forgiving in grades compared to MD/Dental schools.

Some people struggle in Organic chemistry. Some people attend undergraduate institutions where the chemistry department has a no curve policy. Both of the scenarios fit my experience. In my organic 2 class the highest grade out of 100 students was an 81%, and that guy is a PGY-1 at wash-u doing rad onc. I had basically A's in everything else with the occasional B, but you should be able to deduce that with minimal reasoning.

Reactions: 1 user
+1. I don't think that is a big deal. It could be much worse. Besides you don't have control over that anymore, focus on what you can control. Like making your personal statement as strongest as possible.