Did I screw myself over with AP credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred in the following AP credits:
2 semesters General Chemistry (with lab)
2 semesters Calculus
2 semesters Physics (with lab)
1 semester Biology (with lab)
1 semester English
I've taken two years of upper level biology, one year of Organic Chemistry, and one year of biochemistry. I'm not taking any upper level math or physics. Can I still get into med school or am I boned
I'll also be graduating in 3 years because this got rid of a year of courses for me. If I were to stay another year I'd just be taking free electives

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe, maybe not. I have the same general AP credits (no bio, 1 physics) and I have had one interview so far. Email the schools asking their AP policy, and what your options are. Thankfully I took at least one upper level class for everything but English. Every school I'm applying to is ok with AP, just prefer regular, and would like to see you take another math or physics to see if you can handle the college course.

Whats done is done. You can take more upper level courses earlier now, and that can compensate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe, maybe not. I have the same general AP credits (no bio, 1 physics) and I have had one interview so far. Email the schools asking their AP policy, and what your options are. Thankfully I took at least one upper level class for everything but English. Every school I'm applying to is ok with AP, just prefer regular, and would like to see you take another math or physics to see if you can handle the college course.
Oh ok. Almost every school I've seen is usually fine with math and physics being AP, though. I'm just concerned about bio/chem (although I've taken two years of upper level in those subjects).

If your school granted you credit on your transcript you are fine. I had AP bio (w/ Lab) and AP English and have plenty of interviews

If your school granted you credit on your transcript you are fine. I had AP bio (w/ Lab) and AP English and have plenty of interviews
Yeah, everything on this list is stuff I've received credit for

If I were you Id be sure to take an upper level physics or math to show you know what youre doing in those classes

Schools will not burn your application just because you placed out of prereqs that are useless in medicine (i'm talking math and physics). Consult the MSAR and school websites for which schools are specifically stubborn with math/physics and plan accordingly, but i'm sure nearly all schools will be okay.

I think you'll be fine but also refer to @gonnif post above

The acceptance of upper level courses to be used as fulfilling prereqs varies widely across both schools and conditions for course substitution

1) Most schools have stated policy that only the specified prerequisite courses can fulfill the requirement similar to below example

http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php
Can other science courses like Organic Chemistry II or Microbiology be used to complete your prerequisites?
No. We will not accept any other science courses as substitutions for our required prerequisites.

2) Most conditions affecting this policy revolve around AP credits

-Some schools will accept AP courses as fulfilling prereqs so long at the course/credit appears on your official college transcript with no additional work required, though it is often recommended

http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php
Do you accept Advanced Placement credits?
Yes, as long as you were awarded college credit and the course(s) are listed on an official transcript from your primary undergraduate institution. The Admissions Committee recommends that you also complete advanced science coursework in order to be competitive for admission.

http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/com/requirements.html
Do we accept AP credits for our prerequisites?
If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites.

-Some schools will accept only certain AP courses (usually Bio and Physics) but not other courses

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html
Do you accept AP credits for prerequisites?
We accept AP credits for physics only. Requirements for other courses must be met by taking advanced science coursework.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/md/admissions/applying-to-rochester.cfm
Advanced placement courses may meet only one semester of the chemistry and/or one semester of the physics requirements. Advanced placement will not satisfy the biology or non-science requirements. Upper level courses may be taken to satisfy these requirements.

-Please note

-Substituting upper level courses without having meet a stated condition for doing so, may not accepted by a particular medical school
-Prerequisites are typically not checked for fulfillment until after you have taken an offer of acceptance during the pre-matriculation phase
-Most schools have dates by which a course must be completed in order to matriculate. This used to be just immediately prior to medical school orientation but with classes beginning earlier and earlier, this date is becoming sooner in the cycle such as June 1 or even Jan 1. This prevents acceptees from completing a missing prereq in the summer prior to medical school
-Schools vary widely in their waiving or appealing the requirement, some being extremely strict and other being very open to substitution.
-In sum, it is up to you to know the school's requirements/policy and have fulfilled them prior to required dates. Schools can place you on deferral and even withdraw an acceptance for failing to do so
Thanks for the info gonnif. I seem to be fine because most of those schools accept the AP credits I have, or accept the upper level courses I've taken instead.

Schools will not burn your application just because you placed out of prereqs that are useless in medicine (i'm talking math and physics). Consult the MSAR and school websites for which schools are specifically stubborn with math/physics and plan accordingly, but i'm sure nearly all schools will be okay.

I think you'll be fine but also refer to @gonnif post above

@Lawper To the contrary, physics is actually quite useful medicine (as is math, if you want to read a paper and actually understand what on earth is going on). Think velocity in vessels...or blood pressure, or a million other things...trust me, physics is good to know. And it's not that hard (as soon as you get over the whole v and a business...). Maybe in some specialties they're not that big a deal, but I find myself recalling a fair amount of phys in med...

@Lawper To the contrary, physics is actually quite useful medicine (as is math, if you want to read a paper and actually understand what on earth is going on). Think velocity in vessels...or blood pressure, or a million other things...trust me, physics is good to know. And it's not that hard (as soon as you get over the whole v and a business...). Maybe in some specialties they're not that big a deal, but I find myself recalling a fair amount of phys in med...

Meh. Let's not go there.

Meh. Let's not get there.

You're off the hook just this once. Otherwise your advice to OP is sound (I believe...but actually I'm too lazy to scroll up and confirm).