Did I totally screw myself over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the garbageman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just finished my second year of undergrad at a small public university. My freshman year went very well. I had a cumulative GPA of about 3.6 by the end of the year and I was heavily involved in many extracurriculars.

This year has been a bit harder. After the first semester, my GPA dropped to a 3.4. This semester was where everything fell apart. Long story short, my mom tried committing suicide over semester break. Witnessing this completely messed me up. I've been suffering anxiety and depression ever since, both of which I've received clinical help for. The help wasn't enough and I ended the semester with 3 D's and one B. My cumulative GPA is now 2.9 and I am just so angry at myself that I allowed this to happen.

I've always planned on going to osteopathic school (only posting in pre-allo for more responses, but please move it if this is incorrect procedure) and I know that most schools do grade-replacement, but I also know that many medical schools look very poorly on conditions such as depression and anxiety, so I have no way to explain this awful semester.

I've talked everything out with my advisor and I have enough wiggle room to be able to retake all the classes that I've gotten lower than a B- in, so I plan on doing that. But is it too late? Should I be thinking of alternative career choices? Am I totally screwed or do I still have a chance to turn things around?

Members don't see this ad.

You can totally come back from this, it's all good. Retake anything lower than a B-, don't screw up moving forward, and do well on the MCAT. Your app is far from dead.

Reactions: 3 users
Some schools will allow you to retroactively withdraw from all classes during a semester if you have extenuating circumstances. Have you talked to someone at your school to see if this is an option for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will allow you to retroactively withdraw from all classes during a semester if you have extenuating circumstances. Have you talked to someone at your school to see if this is an option for you?
Yes. If I were to do that, I'd lose my scholarship and wouldn't be able to afford school :(

Yes. If I were to do that, I'd lose my scholarship and wouldn't be able to afford school :(
That sucks. :(

You're not alone, though. There are a lot of people dealing with anxiety and depression. So don't be mad at yourself over circumstances you couldn't control. Keep your head held high, get A's in the retakes, and try to learn something from this whole experience.

I think having anxiety and depression after witnessing a suicide attempt is probably viewed less negatively than having the same issues because you cant handle school.
You can probably describe this in a way that avoids admitting to anxiety and depression if you think you'll be ok talking about your mom's suicide attempt.
You struggled because your mom attempted suicide. I think that's valid without going into anxiety or depression. It was an external factor and also likely a new burden if you had to take on anything resembling a care taker role.

I don't know if you may get any negativity from adcoms related to your mother though, but its something to consider.

OP,
If you haven't figured this out already, your health and well being should always come before school no matter what. There is no shame in having depression or anxiety, especially given the traumatic event you witnessed your mom go through. If you focus on your wellness, your grades and activities will come together for a decent chance at gaining a seat in medical school.
Good luck!

I know how you feel. My dad had a heart attack during semester and nearly died during my school year.

Anyway, don't let your situation overwhelm you; never give up, stay strong.
You got this.

You can totally do this. It's definitely not too late at this point (or ever really). Just do well moving forward, follow your plan, and reflect on how this has given you a unique perspective on healthcare. Nothing wrong with having anxiety or depression since you got it treated and learned how to handle stress for the future (plus you don't really have to disclose your mental health issues, just saying that your mom attempted suicide is a legitimate reason for having a poor semester). My father passed away during my sophomore year of college and I'm also hoping the few withdrawals on my application don't hurt me, but I'm still going for it and applying.

Op I'm so sorry for your situation. That really sucks. You are very far from done though and can remedy this pretty easily. Also, you can explain your situation and semester of bad performance on the app. I doubt anyone will fault you for having a rough semester in your situation.

Hope you feel better