Did not match..Now what.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FMs can do fellowships in EM and work in the EM..it happens in many community hospitals.

Sorry to hear how stressful and disorganized the scramble is...I'm happy to hear you were able to secure a categorical IM spot through the scramble.

I don't have numbers ... there may be FM trained physicians with EM fellowships who work in community hospitals, but I think they are getting fewer and far in between.... maybe still prevalent in VERY rural places ..... i would definitely say that it is not the norm in community hospitals..

as per AAFP... "The only fellowships that are accredited by the RRC/ACGME and lead to certification (CAQ) by ABFP are in geriatrics, sports medicine, and adolescent medicine."

Members don't see this ad.

well the listings of where the EM fellowships off of FP further supports my theory that this practice is limited to VERY rural areas....

as for non ACGME fellowships -- there are several off of emergency medicine... can't list them all but emergency ultrasound is definitely one of them... what it does for you is create a niche within your field, usually very handy when you plan to stay in academics... it gives you an advantage...

Members don't see this ad :)
The obvious difference being that US is a narrow skill set easily learned w/in a year. Notice there is not a residency in US. There is one in EM though because the only way to become a qualified EM practitioner is to do a residency in EM.

Sorry about the luck of those forced to look on from the outside. Good luck following your dreams to be doctors even if they take turns you didn't see coming.

But would you have the experience you need to intubate and stabilize a sick trauma pt or to deliver and resuscitate a premie?

Every ED I've rotated through has a hard and fast rule that pregnant women > 20 weeks automatically routed to the OB folks. They never saw an ED triage nurse, let alone the inside of the ED...

Every ED I've rotated through has a hard and fast rule that pregnant women > 20 weeks automatically routed to the OB folks. They never saw an ED triage nurse, let alone the inside of the ED...

The only problem is that not everyone reads the rules... especially when they drive up to the ambulance dock with a nice round head of hair where there shouldn't be any.

Your N= isn't very high. We stop them all, check to make sure they aren't crowning, and then send them up. Yeah, it gets our hands dirty, and sometimes we have to deliver, but it prevents them from delivering in the hallway next to the cafeteria.

Your N= isn't very high. We stop them all, check to make sure they aren't crowning, and then send them up. Yeah, it gets our hands dirty, and sometimes we have to deliver, but it prevents them from delivering in the hallway next to the cafeteria.

i think that's the exception, not the rule. I'm at a level 1 with all the specialties in house 24 hours a day but I've delivered women in the ER without OB even making it down. We see tons of pregnant pts and ob-trauma on occassion.